To my Christian friends on the board.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by gapsych, Apr 2, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I feel that many Christians on this board have the mistaken notion that we who are more secular, are trying to disprove God. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We are discussing what we believe, our spiritual journey, and how we celebrate this.

Please read or reread the highlighted post at the beginning of the board. It is very insightful.

We are not prostelyzing. Hopefully, we accept the fact that spirituality can come in many forms, even within a specific religion.

We are all on a journey for a spiritual quest. This is the bond we ALL have in common and realizing this can help mend many negative perceptions that are sometimes expressed on this board.

Let's peacefully respect each other's views.

gap
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's pretty clear that what you describe happening on your "Prayer" thread is rude and obnoxious. I would have seen it that way, at any rate.

I feel I can speak plainly to you since you have never been anything less than completely reasonable and very easy to talk to. So, I'm just going to speak my mind and I really hope that is ok with you.

This was never intended as an exclusively Christian board. This board is secondary to health boards and is to meet the spiritual needs of that constituency. The word "worship" does not, in any way, indicate Christian worship. However, there were Christians using it who made it abundantly clear that others were not welcome to discuss their spiritual needs here. That was regrettable but it has been addressed.

I agree with you that Christians should expect to be able to be treated with respect, as should we all. I agree with you that none should feel the need to come along hijack Christian threads. I think we all should be treated, and treat others, with respect.

If you find someone a repeated source of annoyance, please use the ignore this user function. I simply do not understand why this is not a viable option for members of this community. I had decided to use this function very recently myself but the user I intended to ignore left the board. I realized that any discomfort I felt I was inviting into my life by repeatedly reading posts I need never see. The other member, in my judgment, had poor impulse control but if I chose to read what they wrote when I simply did not have to, anything I might feel was entirely my responsibility.

I continue to think that hijacking a thread in the manner you describe is rude and obnoxious no matter who does it. However, if I engage in drama created by someone I need never see it is entirely my responsibility. The ignore this user function allows all to coexist peacefully. And, I would ask you to consider how long provocation would continue with no reaction.

The purpose of this board is, and always was, to allow the discussion of religion and spirituality among people suffering chronic illness. It was called "Worship", not Christian Worship. Please consider that some of us have as much of a need to discuss this aspect of our lives as do the Christian members of the board. The intolerance has been subtle and not so subtle and it has come from all quarters.

I continue to hope that you a treated in a respectful manner by all. I wish the same for myself. I think it is unrealistic to expect a free health site to provide multiple boards for different religions. This is the internet and on the internet one uses the available tools including the "ignore this user" function wisely.

Peace to you,
    Rafiki
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

The High Road starts right here.

Please take it.

Rafiki
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I love this story about your godfather. It says a lot.

Your uncle sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing this.

I have said this before; If we all thought alike it would be a boring world.

My BIL who is Quaker and comes from a long line of pacifist, has said that once we start thinking in terms of "we" vs. "them", communication gets hostile and there is no room for tolerance or compromise which does not help us understand the world. A wise thought from a person I truely admire..

If all we do is put all of are energy into the belief that there is only one way then it is hard to see things developing that are really immoral and need to be addressed.

Jesus taught us many beautiful things. I just do not take the Bible literally and find it a beautiful allegory that tells many truths.

BTW, We heathens do not get a toaster oven each time we convert someone to be an atheist. Trying to add some levity to this post. Please take it in this vain it was written. I feel that if we can laugh at are selves, it helps us not only get through the rough times but also may put things in perspective.

I love the following song. I found the lyrics but can not find the singers. Peter, Paul and Mary? I need help here. Back to the sixties, eh?

Let's Get Together" by We Five 1965

These lyrics were transcribed from a specific recording and do not necessarily correspond with lyrics from other recordings, sheet music, songbooks or lyrics printed on album jackets.

Love is but a song we sing
    Fears the way we die
    You can make the mountains ring
    Or make the angels cry
    Though the dove is on the wing
    And you need not know why

Come on people let's smile on your brother hey
    Let's get together and love one another now
    Come on people let's love one another right now

Some will come and some will go
    And we must surely pass
    When the one who left us here