to my support group here...i am officially signed up for college

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, Aug 8, 2006.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

wow..what a difference of 25 plus years of being out of h.s. and the college i am going to will not accept some of my courses from h.s. or college...mainly my algebra and geometry classes, also my freshman composition class i took in college...they were all c's or better...

but since i am a old time.lol

they had me do my placement tests...

so i am taking general psych....english freshman composition and reading....then finally math...i am one point away from being able to retest to get into the pre-alegbra class...but i am not going to re-test..i am going to take the general math course...

that way i get a nice refresher i do not care how fast i get through this only the high marks...and knowing it...

so this is one of the my new beginnings....in my life...

i am getting a little selfish for good reasons...it is my time finally at nearly the age of 42 years....to do what makes me happy instead of making everyone else being happy...and taking care of their needs...

thank you for your support everyone...

if i am not on here as much it is because i will be busier than i have been before...i am prying i stay healthy....

jodie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope you won't overdo.

And don't be going to those frat-boy parties. Ha ha.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

we shall see how i do...step by step...i aced pscyh in college...so i hope i will be fine this time around...

dental hygiene is number goal...then radiology tech...then possibly teacher...

but my goal is not to get working full-time...nice if i felt well..but i need a job that pays me well to afford me to take of myself physically and mentally...

if i am have difficulties getting the very high marks i need there are other schools that will take c's or better...

the dental hygiene program here ranked 4th in the nation...expects no less than b's or higher in all science courses....

and all other courses would be a 2.5 gpa...like in english...

but i am aiming for a's and b's...

jodie
  4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Best wishes for your success in college! It sounds like you are really looking forward to this "new beginning" & rightly so.

We are never too old to do new things & learn! I'm very impressed with your dedication.

I found that returning to college as an adult was a very positive experience. I was so much more serious & disciplined about my classes/ work. And it was (usually!) actually fun being a student again! The exception to that was taking Microbiology...Ugh...If you ever need to take that class at the JC, I'll definately tell you which instructor to avoid!

Hugs,
    Annie
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

honey, i am in the cougar club,,,they come to me...then i give them a good scolding and bend them over my knee and tell them to go back to class....

thank you for you support...

i am taking 10.5 units...i spaced them out monday thru thursday....math is a a 2.5 hr... day noon till 2:30 pm...

tth english 10:30-12:30...so then it is nap time until 1:30 for me
    then tTh psych 1:30-3pm...

i think i will be fine..i figure i will be able to sleep in if need be...i am hoping i can get a car too, so my son can drive my car i have now to school and come home after practice..

i may possibly pick-up a p.t job just a few hours...we'll see...

school first...

thank you rockgor...

jodie
  6. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((CONGRATS))))))))))))))))))))))

Yay!!! I am sooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(((((((HUGS)))))))

kate
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! You will do well. You go girl.

Kriket
  8. jjdg

jjdg New Member

I stared college in winter session 2005,i was going to classes but had to end up doing 1 class at a time on line,i took Critical Thinking first,got a 4.0 loved it,took intro to Phsyc got a B now i hold a 3.5 gpa and i;m taking college math,i have been out of school for 41yrs. no college before this,it's been hard but good for me,makes me feel better about myself.
    good luck.
    janet
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Great going for you!! I'm glad you have goals and a
    new life planned for yourself. I went to Kolledge and
    enjoyed all eight years!! Think of the mess the world
    would be in if it wasn't being run by Poli Sci grads
    like m---oh my g----what am I saying!!

Should have majored in Basket Weaving and Golf Ball
    retrieving.

They won't recognize your Algebra and Geometry because
    I'm sure it's changed alot since you took it?? Makes
    no sense.

Real happy 4 U,
    MRDAD
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

thank you from my heart for the strong support...i will do it!

jodie
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

give me the tip off of the instructor who not to take for microbiology at santa rosa j.c.....then it will be in my profile for the future... thank you for that...

it stinks that i don't know who to take or who not to take...i am waiting for kaiser to send me the disability papers or call me that is so i can get rated as disabled..

my psychologist told me to just drop off the paperwork to him and he will fill out dx and help me out...

so that is on my to do plan as well..

thank you

jodie
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hats of many trades..so i am going to try a new one...

political science i really enjoyed...
    i had a local marin county judge telling me i really should go into law school...

who knows maybe i should become a social security disability attorney....

thank you again

jodie
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i wonder if i excell at the critical thinking course then ssa for sure will think i am normal...cause my brain can think critically now...

i have to do that course as well...

kudos to you and your gpa keep up the good work...

next semester i get to be on the high prioty list because of being disabled...

some things i will be in front of the class room...others i will try the online tactie,,,

jodie
  14. jjdg

jjdg New Member

thanks for the remarkes,yes to do critical Thinking was different, i had a great teacher,the things i iss about being in class is the debates and conversations,i enjoyed that for the while i was in class,you can't tell a person's body langauge on-line.I did find i'm a Audio-Visuail learner,so what i have to do is read into the tape recorder and then later read it back and reread at the same time,they only thing wrong with that is when i hear how bad i read out loud and mispronounce stuff and skip sentences i'm like DDDDUUUUHHHH.i studied with my daughter she would read the questions at the back ofthe book for practice.way back when it took me 3x's to pass the written pat of my drivers test till finnaly i convice them to ask me the questions and i passed,that was before te DD!!
    good luck!!
    janet
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but i will be talking to counselors...do you think it is easier online or in the class room, janet?

i need to give my son the computer now so i will be waiting in suspense...

hugs

jodie
  16. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Spare yourself the torture & avoid Brian O'Brien for Micro or Biology! My class dwindled very quickly down to about 10-12 of us...This group of students included a Physician's Assistant & a Medical Dr.(She was from a foreign country & had to retake courses to become licensed here). Even THEY had a tough time in the class! Things got so bad that several of us tape recorded (with instructor's permission) his lectures...We'd meet afterwards in study groups to try to figure out what he was saying! It was so bad, it was comical! I could go on & on about what was so awful about the class/ instructor, but just trust me...there was a very good reason why our class was so small! Actually, that class was my ONLY disappointing one at the JC. I worked VERY hard & got an A in the class, but I couldn't tell you anything about Microbiology now!

My 19 y.o. son often uses ratemyprofessors.com to check out fellow students' ratings of professors. It might be helpful to you! You can read the ratings & comments on professors before signing up for classes.

Next semester, if we are both still posting, run by what classes you'll be taking. If I can give you suggestions, I'd be happy to. Almost all of my SRJC instrucors were great.

Hugs,
    Annie
  17. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I was telling Jodie one time that I got my B.A. from
    Sonoma State when it was still a "College" in '71. We
    only had about 800 total students then including nite
    school classes. All my Teachers in Poli Sci and History
    were P.H.d's, and it was like attending a small Liberal
    Arts College somewhere.

As a Teacher in Secondary Ed. for a few years, I've
    come to the conclusion that teaching is an Art and very
    much instinctive. Not convinced that the Art came be
    taught and many Teachers that I've run into over the
    years weren't worth a darn in the classroom. The teacher
    that you apparently had for Microbiology sounds like one
    of those. I believe in tenure for Political reasons
    yet there must be accountability for inept and incompedent
    teachers. But how?? That's the rub.

Nighty Nite,
    MRDAD

[This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

I know you will excel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you said, there comes a time in every person's life where they have to take the bull by its horns and just do what they want to do!!!

I wish you all of the best and I am certain that you will be a top student!!!!

Keep us posted how you are doing .... if you have time from all of that studying!!!!

Hugs,
    jlh
  19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i didn't know about that website...my 16 year old is going on his second year of alegebra then precalcus next year...he said he would help me as well...

it just has been awhile...so formula's and theory's what the heck are those.lol

thank you jlh i will keep everyone posted trust me...

i need the support...like others here...

i still need to fill out another college scholarship form...and turn in disability form from my psychologist...he said just drop it off and he will get done for me...

i'm still waiting for kaiser medical...so i have my plate full..

transmission got messed up at 10 minute oil change place...supposed to have it there at 8:30..so they can drop me back home...

then i have appt for child support mod...at 3 pm...

so i hope they will have my car ready...by then...

i take a risk of canelling tranny appt then have the c/s mod get cancelled as well..lady possibly may have broke ribs..

jodie
  20. karenreese

karenreese New Member

CONGRATS, JODIE!!!
    GOING BACK TO SCHOOL IS EXCITING AND SCARY AT THE SAME TIME. GOOD LUCK AND LEARN LOTS!! TC KAREN