To our Canadian Friends to the north

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Mar 2, 2008.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I know that you didn't get "Ice Road Truckers" on TV even though the entire series was filmed in Canada about the truckers who cross the frozen lakes to get to the Canadian DeBeer mines in winter.

I'm curious to know if you get "Holmes on Homes". I love that program too.
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

yes, we do get "Holmes on Homes" it is a great program and wonderful how he helps people.

Love to all, Ann
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

We got that programme here in UK - I only caught a few episodes but loved it, scary stuff.

I wonder why the Canadians didnt get it.

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

was originally one episode of an American series that spun off into its own show. It was a US documentary show that happened to take place in Canada, not a Canadian show. Holmes on Homes is a Canadian show.

Ice Road Truckers was an unusual case: How often is anyone interested in making a documentary about Canadians!?!? :~)

Peace from Canada,
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I think that the program "how it is made" is also a Canadian production. I love that program too. I'm facinated by the production of such various products.

Many times, I don't recognize the brand names of the products.

Mike is a big huggable teddy bear. There is a special place in heaven for people like him. I like that his workmen are beginning to talk more and explain things on the program rather than just Mike talking. Holmes on Homes is an example of how good television can be. It is excellent programming.

Rafiki. I just looked at your profile. OMG, how funny and true about the bottled water.

I wonder why Canadian TV didn't buy the rights to broadcast the Ice Road Truckers. It was mesmerizing watching those truckers driving on ice that was cracking and squeeking under the tires of their vehicles. The series showed real life struggles of these men (the producers didn't include any of the women drivers---GRR!) I would watch the entire series again if given the opportunity.

One of the things that I really didn't think about until it was shown on the program is the night time temperatures that far north. (I live in Central Texas).
    MINUS 40 below zero! OMG. The frost was crawling up the inside of the truck windows while the men are running the trucks. The drivers were talking about the importance of making sure there is no moisture in the break lines because of these unbelievably low temperatures---or the breaks fail. This is real life.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2008]