To Pam_D on RLS and Mirapex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Hi Pam...I just now saw your question on what side effects I have with Mirapex for restless leg syndrome on your previous post. The only ones I've noticed are good one...first, it puts me to sleep at night. 2nd...it can boost your libido which is good for someone my age going thru menopause (he, he). Of course everyone is different but it's very important to start out low if you are sensitive to all meds like I am. My neuro started me out about 1-1/2 yrs. ago at 1/2 of a .25mg tab and I'm now at .5 which really works well so far. It wears off in 8 or less hours so there is no morning groggies.

It's true that some supplements help if you have more cramplike pain than the creepy crawling sensations with the deep horrible pain that makes you want to kick somebody. So I take supplements too like magnesium, calcium, potassium, vit. E, to name a few, but I was never able to find anything to get rid of the pain and need to move involved with RLS until Mirapex. It is also used for early Parkinsons disease which my neuro is still not sure if I have or not but at least if I do, I'm taking something to slow down the progression.

Hope that helps. Good luck on finding something that helps.
    Shaky
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Thanks for info about the Mirapex....I'm so gun-shy about any medicines because I usually have side effects. I'm definitely going to check into it, though, now that I've heard about your experiences with it.....I don't have cramplike pain, I have twitching toes & the "creepy crawly" sensations.

Thanks so much!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Yes, it helps the pain from the restless legs but I haven't noticed it helping regular FM pain but it does make me relax all over so it works more like an anti-anxiety drug even though it's not classified as that. I take it around 7pm and then stay up until I get drowsy from it within 2 hrs. and then I usually go out like a light - just wish it would keep me asleep all night. I'm due for appointment soon with neuro and I have a feeling she will increase my dosage to .75 because I'm getting the creepy crawlies again and she says that's the best dosage for most people. I just had to work up to it slowly due to my sensitivities.

Wishing you a no pain, no creepy crawlies night!
    Hugs,
    Shaky