TO PAT PALMER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimkane, Sep 12, 2003.

1. kimkane

kimkane New Member

HI PAT, THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. DUE TO KIDNEY PROBLEMS I ALREADY DRINK ALOT MORE THAN 6-8 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY, AND I EAT TONS OF GARLIC FOR MY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
    THE ONLY THING I HAVE NOT DONE IS THE SEA SALT. IS IT LOWER IN SODIUM?? WHICH I ALSO HAVE TO WATCH. I WILL DO A SEARCH FOR IT. THANKS AGAIN KIMKANE
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  3. kimkane

kimkane New Member

HI PAT, HOPE U ARE OK ANY ADVISE?? KIMK
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Hi Kimkane,

I`m not on here every day, sorry for not replying sooner.

Do you have high blood pressure?

In a book I read recently by Dr Batmanghelidj called "Your Bodys Many Cries For Water" he says a combination of Water & Sea Salt (1/4 tsp a day) will reduce HBP.

This quantity is very minimal so will not be harmful. You need to eat healthy to back it up with a nutritional diet & supplements to work together.
    A diet of processed foods will be high in sodium due to the addition of table salt. I think that`s where the problem lies.

Here`s an article to read:-

Potassium, sodium and chloride are "electrolytes". They are found in all body fluids including the blood, lymph, fluid outside of cells and fluid within cells (intracellular fluid). Sodium and chloride are primarily found in the fluids around cells and potassium is found within
    cells.
    They carry an electrical charge when dissoved in body fluids
    and thus help regulate nerve transmissions and many cell membrane functions.

Potassium, sodium and chloride function to maintain the normal balance and distribution of fluids throughout the body. They also function in the maintenance of the normal pH balance, and with calcium and magnesium in the maintenance of normal muscle contraction and relaxation, and
    nerve transmission.

Potassium can help prevent hypertension by regulating blood pressure, maintaining proper calcium balance, and minimizing the pressure-raising effects of a sodium rich diet. Inadequate potassium intake increases blood pressure in those with normal and borderline hypertension.
    Potassium-rich foods in the diets of hypertensives reduces blood pressure and often lessens the need for anti-hypertensive medications.

Potassium is important in the regulation of the heart beat.

Potassium and sodium work together to provide what is called the "potassium/sodium pump" which enables transport of nutrients and waste products across cell membranes.

A medium sized banana contains 550mg of potassium. Assuming you absorbed 100% of the potassium available in a banana (which you don't BTW), you would have to eat 33 bananas a day in order to exceed 18,000mg of potassium.

Weight gain occurs when you consume (eat) more calories than you expend. Thus eating too much of anything will make you gain weight. If weight loss is a goal, I would not recommend eating three bananas a day. If you're satisfied with your present weight, it's not a problem.

How about some variety? Apples, cantelope, grapefruit, oranges, etc. Don't forget the vegetables too! You should get a minimum of 5 servings of a combination of fruits and vegetables daily. I recommend setting 7 servings as a goal. With three bananas a day, you're well on your way!

I wouldn't be concerned about your banana consumption unless you start feeling an urge to swing from trees!

Love Pat.