to people who've done canning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pasara, Aug 19, 2008.

1. pasara

pasara New Member

i was wondering if you know where i would go to get citric acid. i am going to be canning tomatoes and they recommend adding citric acid to them. i know foods that contain citric acid, but where do i get the straight stuff??

BILLCAMO New Member

canned tomatoes for many years and have never added citric acid to them. They have more than enough of their own acid.

In fact , most tomatoes have both malic and citric acid.

We'd both be curious as to why your recipe calls for adding it.

Blessings ,

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I, too, have canned tomatoes for years and never had to add citric acid. How much do they suggest?

I have seen citric acid in stores in the sugar/flour aisles. Lemon juice, etc. should help, also.

Like Bill, I'm curious about why this is needed. I do remember being told years ago that scientists were trying to make tomatoes heartier so that the mechanical picking machines wouldn't crush them as easily...tougher tomotoes. If I remember correctly, the person said that when they do that, the tomato's acid content is diminished. I said, I've never added anything to tomatoes.

Best of luck with this venture.

4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I do remember something else! I remember that I put a small amount of vinegar in each jar to add some acid because of the info I was given about the tomatoes.

Duh! Just a small amount...a tsp. or so. I was just a precaution, not a requirement. I just did it because it was cheap and didn't affect the taste of the tomatoes.

Things come back slowly sometimes.

Where are you getting your tomatoes? Home grown?

Just another blip in my brain.

5. pasara

pasara New Member

it is recommended you add just a bit of citric acid, bottled lemon juice (which has a guaranteed level of acidity) or white vinegar. one reason is because over time tomatoes were bred to increase sweetness and this has affected the level of acidity in them, so that many varieties are considered "low-acid" which means you have to use a pressure canner. if you adjust the pH just a bit you can do boiling water bath canning safely.

i didn't see the vinegar option earlier. i don't like using bottled lemon juice.

thanks for the replies everyone! are you doing canning this year??
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

....and I would like to grow the tomatoes I can. Now that I no longer have a big family to feed, growing and canning can be a special thing rather than a summer long marathon.

Glad you are doing it. Home canned foods are so good.

7. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

We don't add anything to our tomatoes when canning other than maybe a touch of salt.
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

We had a garden for years so I canned and canned - dozens of qts. I never added anything but a dash of salt. We loved them and I always used them for my spagetti and chilli. Wonderful. Ate them just stewed also. sometimes I just used the old canner - didn't lose as much juice when it came to a boil.

Good luck

9. poets

poets Member

But a slight amount of salt. I never knew there was any other way of doing it.
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is sold under the name Fruit Fresh. I haven't used it in years and, like the others, have never used it with tomatoes. I've been doing my lazy oven canning method easy. Let me know if you want the recipe.

BILLCAMO New Member

AKA Alaska , :>)

I'd be very interested in your lazy oven method !

I only planted 5 tomato plants this year but they are really starting to pump out the ripe ones.

Maybe I'll set up a card table in the drive way and try to sell some......LOL :>)

Blessings ,

12. pasara

pasara New Member

thanks again everyone. I have been making pickles, pickled beets and green beans, and lots of jam.

I asked a neighbor who had a cherry tree full of fruit that was just sitting there if i could come pick some, and he was gracious enough to say take all you want. i went over there with a friend and we got a ton.

i wish i knew someone who had a ton of raspberries for me, they are so expensive and I love raspberry jam. i have the most of blueberries though.

i hope to make a lot of spaghetti sauce if my energy holds up. my sister in law is in town and will help me peel the tomatoes, which is the biggest part of the work.

i have a great book called "Putting Food By" that details all kinds of preservation techniques, including canning, drying, curing, freezing, etc. I also found a good website called that has very simple and thorough directions for canning.

good luck on your fruit stand billcamo!
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

First, cut clean whole tomatoes and pack in clean quart jars. Push down slightly to make juice and fill to within 1/2" of the top. Add 1 t. salt to each quart. Put on clean lid and screw band. Set in a 9 X 13 cake pan that has 1 inch of water in it. Set tomatoes in cold oven and turn oven on to 250 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. At end of time, allow tomatoes to cool fully in oven (no peeking)......this is when they seal.

That's it! I like that I can do 1 quart or 4 or 5 at a time, depending on how many tomatoes I have. They always seal for me, too.

Have fun!
  14. pasara

pasara New Member

do you peel your tomatoes?
  15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I don't peel them.....just pack them in rather tightly.

BILLCAMO New Member

a belated thank you here too ! :>)

Blessings ,

17. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I never knew you could can tomtoes in an oven! You learn something new every day!

18. DrMomknows

DrMomknows New Member

Well you learn something new everyday.