To Pinkquartz re: low cortisol and DHEA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teach6, Apr 19, 2003.

1. teach6

teach6 New Member

I recently completed saliva tests for cortisol and DHEA. This came after having a 24 hour urine test for cortisol that showed mine was at an extremely low level. I am still awaiting the results of the saliva tests. I was wondering what you are doing now to improve your cortisol and DHEA levels?

By the way, I really agreed with your comments on the Mel post!

Barbara
  2. Msagn

Msagn New Member

During my search over the years I was given a test to check my cortisol level and mine was almost non-exsistant. You know our bodies are suppose to make hydrocortisone to keep this from happening.
    Yes... I may tend to sound like a broken record but I have been on a program over 2 years now, that figures out what amount of hydrocortisone your body should make for your age,weight sex, and body type. If I have a flare I take a decreasing 3 day dose of hydrocortisone then I'm usually off meds for weeks. Everyone here is interested in education, so do a search on Microdose or Microdose therapy. If nothing else it will give you something new to read.

msagn

3. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i have been given a low dose of Hydrocortisone by my doctor to trial. i did a 2 week trial and because i felt an immediate positive response we are going to continue for approx. 6 months.
    the dose i am taking is 10mgs at 9am and 5mg at 1pm.
    i ran this past Madwolf before i began and he was also supportive of this dosage.
    i hope to add on a herbal supp that also aids adrenals and will help, i might try pregnenolone later but one thing at a time its best to see what does what.

i am currently having to deal with a lot of stress and upset and that has knocked me back, and i have picked up a bug, but i can tell you i coped better with the stress for 2 weeks before it all got too much, before the cortisol i would have gone down in a couple of days.!

thanks for saying you agreed with my comments, i was nervous at posting what i felt, and am glad i did.

let me know how you get on,
    pinkquartz

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, all, for posting about this. I had not heard about using cortisone in mini amounts before. In the past, docs would use it in larger doses and it would help for a very short period of time, but didn't seem to help in the long run and in some cases, actually made things worse.

Please keep us updated on this treatment and how y'all are doing.

Love, Mikie
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I am still waiting to hear the results of my testing. I leave for California on Tuesday for the wedding of my oldest on Friday. I guess I will have to wait until I see my doc after my trip to get started on anything new.

Barbara
  6. Bacci

Bacci New Member

I took a salive test two years ago and last year. Both times it showed low levels of cortisol (depending on the time of day) and low levels of DHEA. I tried several different things including DHEA, then pregnenalone, licorice extract and now Corteff (a prescription cortisol supplement). So far I have noticed that the DHEA/pregnenalone (pregnenalone is usually give to women instead of DHEA) didn't do much and I haven't been on the Corteff long enough to notice the effects yet. The licorice however, has been tremendously helpful. I purchase the licorice powder from a chiropractor in Pennsylvania who treats CFIDS--I have never met him but have spoken on the phone numerous times and he is extremely helpful and supportive. I mix the powder with hot water then milk and drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Since this is the absolute worst time of day for me, the licorice really tends to wake me up and give me a little energy boost and seems to jump start my brain. I am sure you can get licorice with glyczhirric acid (prob spelled wrong) in many health food stores or from herbal practitioners.

Good luck,
    Bacci
  7. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i tried the liquorice first but i am too low for it to work , so we are going with the cortisol/cortef and then add in a herbal mix that includes liquorice later.

i am glad you find it helpful.

i found the cortef/cortisol had an immediate effect, have you not felt any difference ?

we are all different with our responses to different remedies.

pinkquartz
  8. Bacci

Bacci New Member

I started the Corteff about two weeks ago and haven't really noticed a difference. Did you notice it right away or did it take awhile to kick in? The hard part is that I am trying so many different things and my health fluctuates so often anyway that it's hard to tell which is working or making a difference! I try to do only one new med at a time but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way because other issues come up. For now I will continue to take it and see how it goes. Still feel pretty darn low for the first few hours after waking.

Wish you the best!
    Bacci
  9. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

yes i did notice a difference fast.
    never in over 20 years did i ever feel anything work like this did in 2 hours i felt just a sliver but definate amount of life return to me. and within 3 days it was visible to me and my doctor.
    its still only a tiny amount of change and i am very weak[its in my profile ]
    but its definately helped.
    before i began to take the cortisol i waited til a virus i had to go which took 4 weeks. so i know about taking it slowly, like you i try to change what i do one at a time in order to keep track of what does what.
    because i am in so much stress right now i think i have slipped a little but i still feel better than before.

I have been on armour thyroid since last summer and that has also helped, the results have been slower and more subtle.

how much is the dose you are taking ?

i wish you the best too,
    pinkquartz
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

but be sure any of you are prescibed any medication of this type by someone who understands our problems well.

Years ago I was given high doses of prenisolone. It was a disaster. I had an immmediate reaction which I was told was idiopathic. The docs then would not accept CFS/ME and had misdiagnosed me as having SLE - I had raised DNA binding but the diagnostic test for seriological SLE was negative.

It's left me so wary of even microdoses, even though I have all the symptoms would indicate this as a possibly useful med.
    Cheers Tansy

[ advertisement ]