To Prickles HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Apr 4, 2007.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I read your post about opening softgel pills and mixing with hand lotion ,for topical pain of the joints. I have found it very difficult to open them b/c the hard shell breaks in small pieces. What type of softgel do you find easiest to extract the gel from? I tried Alleve and Advil and both were awful. Is any of them really soft so they would be easy to open?
    Thanks,
    Hugs Shirley
  2. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I found this on the net and will try it.
    Did you mean you grind with a Mortar and Pestle or an electric grinder?
    Hugs Shirley

Perhaps the best way to administer COX-2 blockers such as ibuprofen is topically, which sidesteps any concerns about stomach problems and delivers a potent dose directly to the skin cancer. Topical ibuprofen stays in the tissues a long time so there is no need for frequent applications. Unfortunately, topical ibuprofen is not available as a product. There are a couple of ways to make an experimental topical ibuprofen gel. One way is to puncture an ibuprofen (Advil Liqui-Gel) gel cap and mix its contents with a glob of aloe vera gel. Mixing aloe vera and ibuprofen together results in a cloudy or milky substance that is quite acidic. Adding a few drops of household ammonia until the mixture becomes clear again neutralizes the acidity, but I am not sure if this affects the potency. Another way to make a topical ibuprofen gel is to grind regular ibuprofen caps and dissolve them in a small amount of alcohol (not isopropyl) overnight. The alcohol is then poured off and mixed with an equal volume of aloe vera gel. Orange peel extract can be added to aid absorption. These are general guidelines for home remedy ibuprofen gels to try at your own risk.
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I agree with you about the ammonia. I sure wouldn't put that on my skin,since I have MCS anyway. What I did was use a coffee grinder and then mixed in a very small amount of alcohol to thin it. I had a bottle of "Aspercreme with Aloe" and I added the Alleve to it and shook it up. That seems to work OK for me. Don't know if will work,to stop my pain, yet but I hope so.
    Thank you for posting!Let me know if you get relief from it!
    Hugs Shirley
  4. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member