to Richvank

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 4, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thank you for you lengthy response about Dr.'s Cheney and Teitelbaum. Somehow, at the end of your post there was no "reply" button so I had to do it this way.

Anyway, I am pleased to have the information. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been using this forum.

Thanks again
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Heavenly.

You're welcome.

3. marciano71

marciano71 New Member

Hi Dr. Konyenburg -

First, thank you for all your hard work in this area. I've been recovering from CFS since 2000 (post motorcycle crash / broken C-6 in Tibet) .. made some good progress, but more ahead. A lyme patient friend suggested Magnesium yesterday (over 1,000 doctor appointments and no one thought to mention it) and my Fibro is much improved today. I was inspired to start looking at what else is out there again. Dr. Cheney at $9,000 for his first appt is too much of a risk. I did Teitelbaum's protocol for about 5 years. Now I'm going to try yours. Only question - I saw in one of your articles you were concerned about high mercury levels and trying to raise glutathione at the same time. Do I have that right? Is this an issue with your protocol. The methylation defect is something one of my doctors intuited, but wasn't sure how to treat. He'll be happy to know he was on the right track. (Four of the five supplements you suggest I've been on before, at much higher doses.)

btw, I was upset to learn that the methylcobalamin I've been getting in my weekly IV's for the past 5 years could actually be pushing the mercury into my brain! My main symptom is my head/brain - not being able to think, feeling heavy, just feeling not right. It's gotten progressively worse over the past 10 years. Cheney's original work with whey protein / damaged brain was very interesting to me.

best regards,

4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, James.

I'm sorry to hear about your having CFS for ten years, but glad that you have made some progress and that magnesium has been helpful.

With regard to mercury and methylcobalamin, yes, I do have concern that taking methylcobalamin, especially at high dosages intravenously in the presence of a significant body burden of inorganic mercury, could potentially methylate mercury and move it into the brain. I do not have proof that this occurs in humans, but this chemical reaction is well supported, and this has been found to occur in guinea pigs. I have heard from perhaps three people who developed neurological symptoms after high-dosage IV methylcobalamin in the presence of mercury in their bodies.

The protocol I have suggested uses hydroxocobalamin, which does not have this potential problem. Also, it allows the cells to make as much methylcobalamin as they need, so as not to overdrive the methylation cycle, which I also don't think is a good idea, because I think it slows the recovery of the rest of the sulfur metabolism, and could potentially cause overmethylation of DNA if the particular person's body does not have effective control of overmethylation by glycine N-methyltransferase, such as for genetic reasons.

I hope the Simplified Treatment Approach for lifting the partial methylation cycle block and raising glutathione will be helpful to you. As I've emphasized in the past, it's essential to be monitored by a physician while on this treatment, so that any adverse effects that may arise can be recognized and dealt with promptly and properly.

You mentioned that you have read my papers and articles up to April 18, 2009. That's the latest, and as you may know, they can all be found at www dot cfsresearch dot org

Best regards,