To Skierchik and all....a question about DHEA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Apr 9, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi Skierchik,
    I have been reading about DHEA...would it be good for my son to try? I've heard it could increase energy and alertness. He does OK, once the morning brain fog has cleared, but we need all the help we can get for his classes this quarter.
    I've also read some negatives about DHEA...it can cause heart palpitations. Have you used it? Thanks, Terri
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

DHEA is a natural chemical platform for the production of testosterone in males and females. males use more than females. i have been on it when i was first dxs with cfs. they can draw a level and tell if it is low.
    as best i can remember it made my kidneys hurt just a little bit, my adrenel glands i think. my levels have been good for the past 3 years so i have been off ot.
    i would ask your doc if he would draw a DHEA level ?
    good luck bill
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

4. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Sorry, I have been gone all day.

Ya know, I tested normal/low for DHEA when my doctor did the Adrenal Saliva test. He has not said anything about giving me the supplement. I don't think you can go buy it at a vitamin store. What little, I know about it and it is little, is that it is produced by the Adrenal Gland and it is a hormone. I would not supplement with this unless you had him tested and they wanted him on it.

However, I think he probably needs to support his adrenal glands. All of us have stressed out adrenals. I use a product called Natrabio (www.natrabio.com). It is a homeopathic remedy, so you have to follow the usual homeopathic rules when taking it. It's cheap and it has worked really well for me. It has helped my body be less stressed. I know this because my blood sugars (juvenile diabetes) are much better while taking this product. I don't need as much as it says to take, so it has lasted me a long time and cost under $10. You might give this a try.

Here's something else I've been thinking about that you could do. There is a website called www.keephopealive.org and the people that respond are really sharp, knowledgeable people. They will work with you to try to get an answer on this morning severe brain fog. Some of them are doctors and research science type people. If you do this give them a detailed story about your son. Tests done, supplements given and exactly how he acts in the morning. I don't know whether they can help, but it's certainly worth a try. No harm can come. You will NOT get an immediate response. It takes weeks sometimes, just so you know.

Have you been giving him liquid Cilantro??? This is a natural chelator. I've been taking it very recently 3 times a day and I tasted metal in my mouth today. I am very fatigued also, but if it's moving this stuff out of me, I'll take the fatigue for now. I'm also having fibro pain...uhg! I'm taking alot of magnesium, so it's not too bad. Anyway, this might speed things up a bit. What did that doctor say about this severe brain fog?? Does he think that it's caused by the mercury? Is the prescription chelator helping at all??

Hugs to you and your son!!

skierchik
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was going to start a thread and seek any ones knowledge about personal use of DHEA. I ordered from this website the 25 mg pill. I knew that it would produce hormones. I also have a history of breast cancer that was hormone fed. This shows how desperate I am to recover some amount of energy. I did find that I had increase in energy but it was short lived. The side effects started the second day. There was a burning, heat sensation in my private area that was not pleasant. It reminded me of the feeling you get when you are given contrast dye while getting an MRI/Cat Scan. It was definitely producing hormones. I was suddenly attracting my unneutered Lab, which was not very fun.

After few days, I opened the capsule & dumped more than 1/2 of the supplement in the toilet. I only took it like that for a few days, and Sunday, I had bleeding and have had a hysterectomy. I had read somewhere that the government was cosidering a ban on these types of supplements.

I will have to find something else. This is not for me. I just have to find something that will help with the fatigue and cognitive issues. I really wanted it to work.

I would not give this to my child without doctor's approval. It does convert to a male hormone that can also cause aggressive behavior.
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

but I will wait until I can see his doc again before adding it.
    Skierchik- he loves cilantro but we don't eat it every day so I'll look into the liquid form. He is still on Cortef and Chemet for mercury chelation and seems to be tolerating them. I am excited because he has recently picked up his trumpet and is practicing...he had pretty much given it up since coming down with CFIDS. So that's a positive sign! Thanks for the input, everyone! Terri
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I don't know much about DHEA itself. My FMS doctor said I was low in this hormone when he did a blood test. I got it over the counter at my drugstore. It comes in 25 mg. I can't recall the price, but I know it wasn't real expensive. I would think you should have your son's blood tested to see if he is low in this before you just have him take it.

Ellen