To Sunny - Re: Pregnenelone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Mar 3, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Sunny,
    In another post you mentioned that pregnenelone does lower cholesterol.
    I've been taking it, but only 10 mgs daily,and I take 2 days off from it every week. The reason I take so little, is because the research I've seen says anything more than 3 mgs. daily is dangerous over the long-term, mostly due to unknown effects. I was unable to find a dose of less than 10 mgs.
    Do you know how much I would need to take to get my cholesterol down? I cannot take the statin drugs, or the other ones that work in your bowel either, so this is my only option.
    Are you taking it, and if so, for how long, and have you had any effects, on cholesterol, or anything else?
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was only gone to cook dinner for my hubby, and already my post went to the 2nd page. Bumping for Sunny. K
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

going to first page if it's the last thing I do. K
  5. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hello Klutzo,
    I wasn't aware that pregnenolone reduces cholestrol. I take 30 mg first thing in the morning as prescribed by my nathuropathic doctor and have noticed no side effects or bad reactions at all.

I have found that garlic pills do reduce cholesterol.

Love, Jasmine
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

What are you taking the pregnenelone for?
    I hear it is supposed to help memory and all aspects of aging, but I've not been on it more than 2 months, so I can't see any change, except that it increased my vaginal moisture in only 2 days! (I am post-menopausal).
    Someone on here posted awhile back that her cholesterol dropped 100 pts. from taking it! I can't remember who said it, or how much she was taking.
    I tried different kinds of garlic pills and it did not help. I now use raw garlic, but mostly to kill yeasts, viruses, bacteria, etc., not to mention driving away vampires! I just read something that said that only raw garlic helps your health. Even cooking it destroys whatever it is that helps us. Don't know if it's true or not.
    I'm glad garlic helps you.
    Klutzo
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

For Sunny and Jasmine
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sunny or Jasmine?
  9. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Good Morning Klutzo,
    My doctor, Dr. Poesnecker put me on pregnenolone for my adrenal exhaustion. I've been taking it for three years now. I think he was trying to increase my DHEA level with the pregnenolone as he started me very gradually on the pregnenolone and increased the dosage. I noticed it helped my NMH and sex drive. Then he started me on the 7-keto 50 mg and I felt much better and more energy from the DHEA. I don't think pregnenolone improved my memory but B-complex is great for memory and fibrofog.

I take the Kwai garlic pills and so does my husband. My husband's cholesterol level went down from a combination of garlic pills, oatmeal (fiber) and exercise.

Love, Jasmine
  10. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I'm bumping this to the top for Klutzo!
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Jasmine -- my Naturopath tested my saliva and said I was in end stage adrenal exhaustion....this was many yrs. ago. My Endocrinologist tested my blood and said my adrenals were right in the middle of the normal range and that saliva was useless. Who to believe? I know I have an adrenal reaction to things that is much too swift and much too strong, but maybe reacting like that for all these yrs. has worn them out. Who knows. I also noticed a slight increase in sex drive from the pregnenolone. I could not take DHEA as it made me shake like a leaf. So far no side-effects from Pregnenelone.

Sunny - Thanks for the info. I am taking too much! I am taking 10 mgs. a day, with two days off, so that is 50 mgs. per week, more than twice what you mentioned. I have a doctor's appt. in 2 weeks and will try to get her to run a non-fasting lipid profile to see if it has helped. I don't know why they insist on fasting....my last fasting test was higher than the last non-fasting one,and gettng up at the crack of dawn ruins my entire day (I am a night owl). I think I will drop the Preg to 10 mgs. every 3rd day, which would be just a tad over the 20 mgs./wk you say is OK. The research paper I read said no more than 21 mgs. weekly, so that agreed with you. But,I could have sworn that someone on this Board had been taking 100mgs.daily for 3 yrs. with no problems and a 100 pt. drop in cholesterol! Since mine is 250, and I was told that I need it at 150 since my HDL is so low, I need that 100 pt. drop. My CRP was "less than 5", which is supposed to be OK, but I don't think any CRP is OK, and I wish the test were more specific. My stroke risk ratio was 9 times normal, but I got it down to only 5 times normal with a high protein/low carb diet. I am using the formula where you divide your HDL into your triglycerides and a normal result is 2 or less. My heart attack risk is 7.1, down from 8.8 before the diet,with normal being about 3.3. I can't take the drugs, and I just turned 52, and my dad had a heart attack at 53, so I need to do something now! Are you planning to go back on the Preg, or was your cholesterol good to begin with?

Thanks to you both,
    Klutzo
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

For Jasmine and Sunny.

P.S. to Jasmine - does your doctor think taking 30 mgs. a day is safe? Any research to show this is safe? Thanks. K
  13. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hello Klutzo,
    I'm amazed that such a small amount of pregnenolone would have any effect on cholesterol or anything else, but if it works for you and that's all your body can handle, then stick with it.

Actually I was on higher doses of pregnenolone but my doctor started me gradually and increased slowly like every other week or something. Dr. Poesnecker feels that his CFS patients are very sensitive to supplements so he starts supplements at very slow dosages and slowly increases them. I think the pregnenolone was not turning into DHEA so he decreased my pregnenolone to 30 mg and started me on 7-keto DHEA. Now my Adrenal Stress Index Test results are normal with supplements.

My doctor has like 45 years experience working with chronic fatigue syndrome so if he tells me to take something I take it and I trust him completely. My adrenal exhaustion is much better under his care.

My cholesterol is 239 but my diet is very high fat so that's not too bad. My HDL and LDL are good so the endocrinologist never said anything about my cholesterol being too high. And I eat 15 eggs a week!

I hope the pregnenolone works well for you. Keep us updated!

Love, Jasmine
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't know how much Preg I can handle. I have not taken more than 10 mgs. daily because all the research I found on the web said that more than 3 mg. daily over the long-term is dangerous, so I was afraid to go too high above that. If you read Sunny's answer to my post, you see where she was told to take no more than 20 mgs. weekly, which matches the research I saw. None of these natural, non-patentable treatments ever get the research they deserve, so we are all just dancing in the dark trying to figure out safe doses. Hormones are nothing to fool with, but if you feel better on them, I think it's worth it. I'm glad you have a doctor you can trust.
    Low HDL is my big problem. Oatmeal, exercise daily, nuts, apples daily.....none of these has helped. I am glad your HDL is good, as that is supposed to be the most important number for women.
    I will keep you all posted when I get my test results. Thanks for the help,
    Klutzo