To Tandy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Hi there!

Regarding a post from last week and your response, I am wondering if you are still having a severe neck problem. Here is what I put in that thread:

Is your neck problem any better?

I am having a similar experience. Woke up one morning with intense pain, yada yada yada, it's now more than 5 wks later and the pain is still a problem, minus a brief remission after a vitamin shot, which, unfortunately I can't repeat.

If you are still having neck prob's, perhaps we can compare notes.

Jen F.
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi there~afraid to say"yup..neck pain still with me"
    Mine is in my very center of the back of my neck....I know its causing me some headaches!not to mention the pain is radiating down into the right side shoulder,and even upper back and shoulder blade~ Its acually let up a little,it was way worse.I think its because last week at my drs appointment I said something about it and he gave me a script for an anti-inflammatory called Naprosyn.I take it 2 times a day with food.It took a few days but its started to ease~Sometimes I wonder if its my pillow,or just the way i'm sleeping....kinda doubt it tho~
    Whats your like....does it sound like me?Let me know ok?
    I'll be back within a couple hrs.
    ((Hugs)),
    Tracey
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Sorry to hear still a prob for you.

A chiro and physio told me i have a problem with a disk around C5-6, must be impinging on a nerve cause I have not only pain, but numbness and tingling down my left arm.

Like you, my whole shoulder is involved too and I have a lot of pain around my scapula -- or at least I did before I took the vioxx and the Tylenol 3's and the B12 :)

Check out my post on the amazing results I got from a vitamin injection. Unfortunately, only lasted a few days.

Physio said I will probably recover 3 - 4 wks from now, with physio 3x per week, and home work. Only yesterday was mild stretching finally recommended [It's been 5 weeks since start of problem] Physio also said would not have taken this long if saw me right at beginning.

I found that my usually soothing hot epsom salt baths didn't help my pain at first, but made it worse. The inflammation responded better to ice. Also, i have a problem with feeling cold all the time, but with this problem I haven't felt cold,I guess because my back is so hot with the inflammation.

The amount of tenseness and twangyness [:)] with my muscles and ligaments has been unbelievable. Trigger point therapy definitely helps.

I have been having my homemaker press on my back and shoulder for a few minutes when she comes -- she is strong, and using my Homemedics massager.

It's amazing how tight the muscles keep getting -- I guess fromt the nerve problem and lack of use -- I couldn't lift anything until quite recently.

Do you find icing/massage/meds helpful? What's your experience lately?

Have you tried sublingual B12 and if so at what amount? Have you been examined to see if it's a disk problem?

Look forward to hearing from you.

I gotta go eat!

jen F
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I forgot to note that my pain is worst when I lie down. How about you?

I have had to use a special neck pillow to be able to barely tolerate the discomfort and get some sleep.

Are you using a special cervical pillow?
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm back on the puter for a bit!(my lifeline!!)lol
    Now if I can remember all the questions to answer you....hmmmmmmmmm,I'll try! The hot epsom salt baths are very soothing when i'm in the tub relaxing,but when I get out- the pain is right back up there! I had a MRI years ago to DX the bad disks in my lower back.But the neck problems have only been X-rayed and of course nothin shows~My dr. can see and feel the tense,tightness of my upper back and neck area,..seems hard! I have gone to PT in the past and that has helped me gain some ROM.I need it again!! I also had the luxery of getting massage therapy 3 times aweek for awhile!!!That helped big time!!I felt so much better!!!! I'd recommend that to anyone with painful muscles!!But after 6 weeks-my insurance would'nt cover it anymore.They only allowed me so many sessions~ If I could afford it I'd do it in a beat! Hope this helps some.I'll check in again soon.Hope your doing better!!
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Thanks for your response.

sounds like I should seriously consider the massage if my muscles get really painful again and chock [sp?] full of trigger points.

Right now my pain is well under control - with a lot of drugs! Woo hoo! I feel so excited to have so much relief at last. I imagine I will sleep okay tonight...

It's great that you got massage 3x per week initially. Seems clear it helped you a lot.

Take care!

Jen