To Teller7

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie41, May 22, 2003.

1. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Tell me more please about hiking poles. I'm not familiar with them. Do you use them as a walking aid? I've been having trouble with leg weakness since last fall. I too couldn't bring myself to use a walker since I'm 29 and it made me feel old and they are very awkward. On the other hand, canes don't provide enough support when my legs are really tired. Wheel chairs and scooters are way too restrictive. For me, the perfect answer was a pair of forearm crutches. They are lightweight, easy to maneuver, and give me as much support as I need. They're not hard on my arms as long as I use what's called the 2-point or 4-point gait. They even come in colors. Of course I had to swallow my pride at first, but it took very little time for my friends to get used to seeing me on crutches and it's not even an issue any more. The important thing is that they give me enough support to go anywhere, i.e. the mall or walks in the park without fear of not being able to get back to my car. Judging from some of your other posts, you might want to give them a try. No one says you have to use them all the time. I use mine only for long distances except for occasional bad days when I use them all the time. It's all a question of attitude. I could think of them as something that makes me a cripple, of as something that gives me freedom and mobility that I would not otherwise have. I'd like to hear from you since we seem to have similar symptoms. You can reach me here or on the chit chat board if you like.

Hugs,

Jackie