to the people that posted about homesteding

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Feb 13, 2006.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I JUST WONDERED WHAT YOUR INTERESTS WERE. I LOOKED UP AN ARTICLE ON WOOD COOKING STOVES ONE TIME AND FOUND AN INTERESTING ARTICLE ONLINE.

THESE PEOPLE WERE COMPLETELY OFF THE GRID.COOKED ON A WOODSTOVE AND USED A FIREPLACE FOR HEAT

THEY HAD TO WALK 2 AND 1/2 MILES IN THE WINTER TO THEIR CAR TO GO INTO TOWN.

SHE ANSWERED MY LETTERS AND SENT ME A COUPLE OF HER COOK BOOKS. SHE WAS A MASSAGE THERAPIST AND HER HUSBAND WAS A GLASS ARTIST.

I WAS MARRIED AT THE TIME AND I ASKE DMY HUSBAND IS THERE ANY THING YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK HER? HE SAID ASK HER WHY SHE MOVED SO FAR AWAY FROM WAL- MART.

SHE REPLIED THAT ONLY WHEN SNOW WAS ON THE GROUND DID THEY HAVE DIFFICULTY GETTING TO WAL-MART.

IT WAS INTERESTING.SINCE THEN I GOT A WOOD COOKING STOVE.SOMEONE CAME ALONG AND OFFERED ME MORE MONEY THAN I COULD TURN DOWN,SO I SOLD IT.

SHARE WITH ME YOUR INTEREST IN HOMESTEADING,ETC.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...stove and heating with fire place. People still do this in WV :) The people I know aren't off the grid, it is just a way of life. Just a thought.

Karen
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

HAD AN ORGANIC 7 ACRE FARM IN UK AND RAISED GOATS AND CHICKENS, DUCKS AND GEESE FOR EGGS ONLY AND MILK.

I LOVED THE LIFE. OH WE HAD SHEEP FOR FLEECE FOR MY SPINNING AND WEAVING.

IT WAS HARD WORK. WE COOKED ON AN AGA STOVE THAT WORKED ON THREE DIFFERENT FUELS.

JUST FOUND OUT THE PROPERTY WE SOLD IN 1988 JUST RESOLD FOR MILLIONS. WOW.

IN USA THERE ARE MANY COMMUNITIES THAT OPERATE COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE-LOOK UP CSA ON GOOGLE. YOU CAN GET GREAT ORGANIC FOODS FROM THEM.

ALSO IF YOU GOOGLE IN ECO VILLAGE, USA THAT WILL LINK YOU TO MANY SITES WHERE PEOPLE LIVE AND WORK IN HOMESTEADING COMMUNITIES. SOME HAVE NO BIAS EXCEPT HEALTHY LIFESTYLE OTHERS HAVE A DOGMA ATTACHED.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT UNLESS YOU ARE VERY HEALTHY -WE HAD TO SELL OUR FARM WHEN DH GOT HEAD INJURED-THAT A GROUP EFFORT MAY BE A WAY TO TRY.

FOR THOSE WITH DISABLED KIDS, CAMPHILL ASSOCIATION OF USA TENDS TO BE FARM BASED COMMUNITIES.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. I LOVED BEING A HOMESTEADER AND WOULD DO SO AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT AND STILL MAY IF WE CAN AFFORD TO BUY INTO ECO VILLAGE'S NEXT PHASE HERE WHERE I LIVE. THEY HAVE COMMUNITY CSA, COMMUNITY MEALS THREE TIMES A WEEK, AND EVEN ARE DOING THEIR OWN CEMETARY AS THE POPULATION AGES. MOST PEOPLE WORK AT OUR LOCAL UNIVERSITY OR SCHOOLS OR BUSINESSES. THEY ARE NOT AT ALL FLAKY, BUT USUALLY A MIXED BUNCH OF ALL PEOPLE. AGES, KIDS, ETC.

LOVE ANNE CROMWELL