To the those kindly replying to my 11.10.2005 posting...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shinlee, Nov 20, 2005.

1. shinlee

shinlee New Member

Hi mikie, sunflowergirl,rosiebud, 2painful4words , Jane_Canuck , PVLady , butzie41 ...and any others who replied to this posting

Thank you for responding to my posting on 11.10.2005 about "Ralph is gone???".

For some reason this posting is no longer listed. Luckily I made a screenshot and saved the page with all those who replied as of 11.12.

I appreciate the replies and the loving condolences made about my mom who passed away from liver/pancreatic cancer just 3 weeks from the dx and who lived with Alzheimer's Disease for 10 years being dxd at age 57 yrs.

I'm so proud to have been this woman's daughter and want to share with you all how those closest to Mom felt about her and how she lived her life. Below is the obituary my sister and I wrote for Mom. There was so much more that could have been said about this powerful, dynamic, and compassionate woman that I loved so much and was truly my best friend, however the obit took up a huge portion of the page as it was. (ha, ha)

I wish there was a way to post her photographs that accompanied the obituary. People who saw these two photos that we hung up in her nursing home room would always comment there's something very unique about her and how beautiful she was. Nurses, aides and even her most recent doctor said that truly there was something very special about her. Several nursing home staff said they couldn't help but get attached to her.
    --------
    Mari Lynn Jean Racer Smith
    SHENANDOAH -- Mari Lynn Jean Racer Smith, 67, died Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2005. Born September 16, 1938 to Edgar and Wilma (Crunkilton) Racer. She was a life-long resident of Shenandoah, Ohio and a graduate of Union High School, 1956.
    A champion of children and proponent of early education, Mari Lynn received her bachelor's degree in Elementary Education, Ohio State University, 1970 (graduated Magna Cum Laude), and a master's degree in Reading, Bowling Green State University, 1980. Post-graduate studies focused on newborn & developmental intelligence.

A research-oriented person, Mari Lynn was a pioneer and dedicated leader in the field of education of which she received various awards of distinction and honor. Her professional accomplishments included: classroom/reading teacher, educational consultant, keynote speaker and professional educational trainer. Her favorite area of educational expertise was early childhood education and literacy. She authored several publications including the reading program, "I Can Read!" - Reading the Natural Way. She was also instrumental in helping a local childcare center establish a well-known reading center to promote literacy and was the founder and teacher of a state-chartered, private school.

A LIFE REVIEW of Mari Lynn would show that her life's theme was to serve the cause of humanity. The qualities that best reflect the true essence of and life lessons taught by Mari Lynn are as follows:

COMPASSION
    Performing many and various life-long acts of kindness and philanthropy, she was a strong advocate for and rescuer of the "underdog," the less fortunate, and those "falling through the cracks" of the system.

INTEGRITY
    By example, she taught that a person's word is his/her bond. She also took issue to the destructive, malevolent behavior of passing rumors and innuendoes believing that, "... if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all."

EMPOWERMENT
    She believed that souls from all walks of life were to be valued and that their self-worth is grounded in that value. This belief was the passionate, driving force behind her personal and professional work to empower others. It was her personal philosophy that self-power comes through academic and spiritual education, which culminates positive self-esteem and, thereby, leads to a more meaningful and productive life.

GRACE & DIGNITY
    Even throughout her 10-year courageous ordeal with Alzheimer's Disease, and short-term battle with cancer, she maintained a gentle and noble persona of grace and dignity, not one of self-pity or bitterness. Although heartbroken when she could no longer fulfill her professional mission to help others reach their optimum learning potential, a grandchild helped her view her condition in an enlightened way by lovingly reminding her that she was still a teacher, just in a different way.

Survivors include: (EDITED)

A memorial service will be held at a later date - an announcement will be published. Memorial expressions may be emailed to: (EDITED EMAIL ADDRESS)

Memorial contributions may be made in Mari Lynn's name to an Alzheimer's research center of your choice. If you have a loved one in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease who has interest in participating in a research program, please contact the University Memory and Aging Center (Cleveland, Ohio) at 216-844-6411.

THE LEGACY of Mari Lynn Smith is best expressed by a much-loved philosopher's creed to "Always be in readiness to serve the cause of humanity . . . Do your best, irrespective of results or consequences . . . Whatever service you can render must be faithfully carried out."

Blessings.

Lisa

2. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

I am so sorry that you have to go through this greiving process. Losing a mother is always a difficult thing to go through. I lost my mother 9 1/2 years ago. I wish you all the best and am happy for you that you have a sister to help share the pain.

Your mother sounds like a wonderful person.
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

No matter who we lose in this life there just seems to be nothing nearly as difficult and heart breaking as losing your mother. Your mother was an amazing woman who gave back to her
    country and society in general. But all mothers are valuable and contribute so much to their children..of course there are those who fail miserably, I speak of those who truly try to do a good job of raising their families. I hope time will help to ease your pain and loss. I never ever thought it would mine, and after eight years it is just beginning to slightly. Bless you and your family! Hugs, Bambi