TO THOSE OF YOU ON XANAX OR KLONOPIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gongee, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gongee

gongee New Member

I am very confused. I have been on Xanax since 2001 and have my dose has been slowly increased at my doctor's request to 3 mg a day since that time Now, out of the blue, she wants to swtich me to Klonopin. She says that even though I will be put on Klonopin, I will still have to take the Xanax also in the change over process. I have never had any problems with Xanax, but she thinks Klonopin will give me better results with my anxiety and panic, even though I am doing well now. I asked about Xanax XR, so I wouldn't have to do so much changing, but she never answered me. Can anyone out there, give me there own experiences if they have taken either one of these? In my opinion, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. But on the other hand, I'm not a doctor. Thanks for any input!!
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I took it for anxiety and PTSD. I had to go off of it due to an addiction. I was addicted to narcotics, but they decided to take me off of everything like it. That included the klonopin, sonata, demerol, and beclofen.

I now take zanaflex and ultram for the pain. I'm not on anything for the anxiety and PTSD, but I'm thinking of asking my shrink to put me on something. A couple of nights ago I turned off my light and saw two men standing on my front porch, watching me. It was after 1 in the morning! Still scares me and I'm having trouble sleeping again.

Good luck!

God Bless.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Gongee,
    I think my doctor feels if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've been on Xanax .5 mg. 3 x a day since 1997. I haven't needed to go up on the dose.

I also started on Lortabs 10/500 mg. last May and I am very careful with those as I can see how one can become dependent on those faster than the Xanax, at least in my case.

Usually I don't need over 2 Lortabs in one day. One around noon and another one around 10 PM to 11 PM. If I'm not hurting, I don't take it, but I do get an empty like feeling if I don't, but that is all and a bit of fatigue as the Lortabs seem to give me energy.

I think if I was you, I would just ask the doc if you could just stay on the Xanax since you are doing well on them. Tell her you would prefer to stay on the Xanax.

I hope that works for you. I wouldn't want to change to Klonopin right now either since I'm doing okay on Xanax. I don't feel drugged or anything ever.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. gongee

gongee New Member

Thanks for the input on klonopin and xanax. I think I have made up my mind. I want to continue on xanax whether it be the short acting that I am on now or the extended release (Xanax XR) I know I don't have any side effects to xanax so I believe it is in my best interest to keep what is working for me. The doctor may not agree, but then again it is not his body.
    THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. seeking857

seeking857 New Member

I was on xanax for panic attacks and to sleep. After more than a year on it and hearing horror stories of addictions, I thought I would like to try the klonopin instead. (Several doctors had tried to get me to do that before.) My doctor (a psychiatrist) said that you can switch those two drugs equal doses. So I went from taking 1 mg xanax to taking 1 mg klonopin. Had no adverse affect. One good effect was that I didn't wake up in the night needing xanax as konopin is a 24 hour drug. I asked my phamacist about taking xanax with it if I have panic or go to dentist, etc. He said only to do that once in a blue moon or I would get addicted. The reason the doctors wanted me to switch is that xanax is much more addictive than Klonopin and Klonopin is easier to wean off of if you ever are able to.
    I would suggest you talk to a pharmacist. I have found that pharmacists know a whole lot more about drugs than doctors. Sometimes I think that all doctors know about drugs is what phamacy reps tell them. How can they keep up with all the new drugs that come out and the old ones too?
    Hope it helps.