To those thinking about or getting allergy shots, beware!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I was reviewing a thread, "Allergy Shots", from 09/07/05 at 12:31 PM, and saw some good conversation going on regarding these shots. As someone stated, a person is skin tested for a number of items to see what they may be allergic to, then solutions are made up with the antigen or the allergen that the person is sensitive to. This is done for a period of up to three years to illicit immune response to the allergen.

I went through this for the period of three years. Yes, my allergies were very much relieved. However, about 6 months in to having the shots, I came down with "ringworm." I was somehow exposed through work. The problem is, adults don't normally get this type of "ringworm" unless they are immunosuppressed. I didn't think much about it, but then another few months went by and I came down with "shingles."

When I went in to see my allergist and showed him the shingles (I had also showed him the ringworm), I questioned as to whether or not the shots had put my immune status into a compromised state. The doctor argued against that idea. I dismissed it as well. I continued the shots. Another bout with the shingles happened within a year. Finally, the years were up. Hooray! No allergy problems! Oh, oh, . . I started to feel absolutely so tired I couldn't stand it. Trouble even getting up to go to work, rashes, aches, the IBS got worse. Well, since I was in my mid-twenties, I'd fought similar symptoms, and thought, "this too shall pass." It didn't. I went in to the doctor, over to a rheumatologist, and lo and behold, the Dx of FMS.

I couldn't say for sure, but I believe that my more severe problems with FMS and CFS began after I had the allergy shots. I believe that my body was "stressed out" from fighting the allergens. If I could prove this I would. However, I hope those of you thinking about allergy shots, or who are taking them now will be very cautious, as I sincerely believe that the shots can increase symptoms.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Wow! I work in a Vet Clinic, and we see people get ringworm all the time. Funny though...there is one girl that works with us that is always sick with the flu, allergies, etc, and she is the one that has gotten the ringworm 2 times. She doesnt get allergy shots though. I'm going to ask my family Dr. about your theory and see what he says. Makes sense to me!
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I take it back, anyone CAN get ringworm . .

Don't know where my mind was when I was writing this.

One thing that I should point out is that AFTER the treatment, not only was I diagnosed with the FMS, but also found out that I had problems with an "overactive" immune system as I was found to have antibodies to my parietal cells (cells that secrete acid in stomach).

My actual concern is that the injections of the antigen may stimulate the immune system, and that possibly could bring on problems like an overactive immune system. In addition, while the body is trying to fight the antigens being injected, it could possibly put the person at risk by making them more susceptible to infection.

Warm wishes, Jeannette