To those using MelatoninWhen to take it how much to take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mujuer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I just bought some 5mg.tablets. I tried to take them years ago and they did nothing for me but thought that I would try them again. I am just not for sure when I am suppose to take them. Is it when I get in bed? An hour before? When I get done reading in bed? I also don't know how much to take. I have taken one pill for the past two nights along with my muscle relaxer and nothing. Any tips? P
  2. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

slow release worked much better than taking a regular tablet. Much gentler, worked better and had less side effects. I had to order mine as I could not find it in health food stores. I think it was made by amni, but I'm not sure as I don't take it anymore. I found as long as my D levels are high enough and I am gluten free I sleep fine. For a while I was taking a sleeping pill as even the melatonin did not help and we used the sleeping pill to break the insomnia cycle.

3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I did buy the time released one and I will try to cut it down tonight. I have taken Trazadone to sleep forever and just weaned myself off to see if I could find another way to get myself to sleep. On the nights when my RLS is out of control I can take my Requip and it puts me out. On the nights that my arthritis, tendonitis and every other 'itis that I have hurts, I take a Lyrica and then I sleep but I don't take these regularly because for one I don't need them every night and for two, I can't get augmented that way but then I come back to the problem of not sleeping and that isn't good either. I am taking my Vit D and had it tested and it's really good and we are gluten free as my husband has celiac disease.

Does it take awhile, like a few weeks to work? P
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2008]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

less is better - 2 - 3mg - I halve my 5mg tabs and take 1/2 a night

Does it help - I really don't know but I'll keep taking it.

5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I cut the pill in quarters and took one. I have to say it worked!!! I felt so relaxed. I slept until two and then got up to go to the bathroom and then I couldn't get back to sleep. I didn't know if I should take another one or not so I didn't and laid there the rest of the night. I guess I must have fallen back asleep sometime this morning because it is ten and I just woke back up. I will keep trying the Melatonin though. P