? TO THOSE WHO'VE QUIT SMOKING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am a smoker and my husband swears that my CFS will disappear if I'd quit. Now I know that I'll feel a little better after a few months of quitting, but I find it hard to beleive that it will make me "well" again.

My question to you is: Are you now "cured" of this DD? Are you able to go back to work now? Was quitting the answer to your CFS/fibro problems?

Ten years ago, I had quit smoking for 2 years and then started back after my Mother passed on. Then 3 years ago I quit for 3 months in hopes that my energy would return but it didn't. did I not quit long enough?
  2. chickadee

chickadee New Member

I'm probably not the person you need to answer you but, here goes - I smoked for 50 years - heavy. I haven't smoked a cigarette in more than 15 months. I have FMS and if anything, my pain is worse since I quit.

Absolutely the only positive to quitting is that I have the money I spent on cigarettes to spend on something else.

Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had it way before i started smoking...no difference...

jodie
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I quit smoking June 6, 2004. D-Day after over 40 years!!
    Had a great excuse to resume smoking this past June on my
    2nd year anniversary (666) "the devil made me do it"!

But I did't. My illness has only progressed negatively
    but feel having quit has little to do with things anyhow.

We miss you Flip Wilson!!
    MRDAD
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a couple months ago. But was only smoking a pack a week or so. No difference.

You might tell him (depending on what sort of sense of humor he has), that statistics show that wives who murder their husbands show tremendous improvement almost immediatley. Ha ha.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I wish I could delicately say, "your husband is full of crap"...but I'm having a hard time finding the words.

Smoking does NOT cause CFS/FM or CFID! Therefore, if you quit smoking your CFS/FMS won't just magically disappear.

I quit after 30 years of heavy smoking a few months ago and my problems are NOT gone. I'm doing well today but wasn't on Sunday. (Day by day as always)

I also stopped and adjusted many things both in my diet and in my daily life. And I've been in a horrible flare for 2 years. (I have a thread somewhere on the changes I've made on the road to wellness if you want to read it)

I take the money I used to spend on smoking and buy wonderful vitamins and supplements from the Pro Health store here and that has more to do with my wellness than quitting.

I'm proud of myself for quitting smoking and an advocate of it. I used an all natural patch system (NicoCure) that made it easy, yes...I did say easy! I always said they'd have to chain me to a bed to get me to quit, but it really was pretty simple.

With all of the scientific evidence and genetics too coming out in the news about our illness, your husband is in for a rude awakening if you quit and don't magically get better.

I don't want to discourage you from stopping smoking, just want to say it's not a magic pill that makes everything better..

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I'm an ex-smoker, and I'm with Nancy on this one. Except, I don't say many things delicately. Your husbands full of crap. lol

Tell him he needs to find more creative incentives to get you to quit. More <b>realistic</b> ones, at least.

~Amanda
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Yep, Tomorrow(August 9th)is my anniversary for quitting five years ago!! I'm so proud of myself!

However, I was diagnosed with FM 11 years ago. It has not made any difference in my pain or fatigue levels. In fact, I feel more symptoms now than I did back then.

9. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I was just thinking the other day that I felt better about 6 or 7 years ago when I was a drinker and a smoker. I have been a non smoker for about 3 years....What makes it even worse is the food you start shoveling in for the loss of nicotine!

My doctor mentioned they are supposed to have a new medication for smokers to help them quit it's supposed to take away the satisfaction of the nicotine, you may want to ask your doctor!

Hope that helps...
    Kelly
  10. kalina

kalina New Member

But I didn't smoke much -- I only smoked one or two a day unless I was at out with friends. I smoked a few more on those occasions because I felt like it gave me a bit of energy and made me more alert, if that makes any sense.

However, I sometimes had flare-ups of vertigo, dizziness, nausea and headache. That made me think I should just quit altogether. I will say I don't have the vertigo and dizziness as often now.

That's the only difference I've noticed after 3 months. My energy and cognition have continued to worsen since I quit, so quitting is NOT a magic bullet for "curing" CFS. If only it were that simple! (How does your husband explain CFS in people who have NEVER smoked?)

Kalina
  11. berley

berley New Member

Hi, I guess I have to agree with everyone else. I quit also 4 years ago and I'm just the same as I was then. The pain is still here and I dont feel any better.....

It would be good thing for you to do because of other health issues. Believe me I would sometimes love to start back, but with my strength and will power I choose not too.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
  12. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I must apologise for taking so long in responding, it has been TOTAL chaos here but will spare you the details.

I know the benifits of quitting as I have quit before and was so much happier for it. I can not count all the good things I experienced by my cessation fo two years, but releiving this fatigue was not one of them.

As I've told my husband, I know that I will feel better if I could quit, but I know that I'll still have these weeks/months of being couch bound. And of cours, when you can do nothing more than stay on the sofa with the pc in your lap listening to the news, quitting smoking would be extremely difficult...especially since my mentally handicapped brother is a smoker. I do make sure that we BOTH only smoke 1 every hour. He is a very heavy smoker without that rule! And there is NO WAY I could ask him to quit with me.

Basically, I just really needed to know if there was a significant change in your energy levels since your time of quitting. If there was, then I would do everything I could to quit again. When I quit before, it was only because I was in better health, stress levels was down, husband quit with me and I was using the Nicoderm patch. Now I have none of the above. Hopefully after my divorce, and when my brother goes back to his group home, I may have better success. But I will not build up any false hope that I will be cured of this DD.

Thank you all so much again. I did note that there were a couple of you who did see a significant difference and I am so glad for you. God bless you all.
  13. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I smoked for many years, and quit 4 or 5 years ago; just can't remember.

Anyway, I had begun having health problems in the late 80's/early 90's and was diagnosed with FM just a few months ago.

So, my answer to that question is no, quitting smoking had absolutely nothing to do with the FM.

I do think quitting was a VERY smart thing to do because I'm sure it helps my health, my clothes do not smell, and it became very expensive.

Hope this helps,

BlueSky555
  14. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

apparently we were posting at the same time, but I just want you to know that I thank you also for your reply. God bless you.