To those with FMS-What happens when you go to a dentist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, Jan 3, 2006.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I am ready to go for the first time since I've been diagnosed with fibro.I'm on some heavy duty meds.Does the novacaine interfere with the meds? Thanks,Linda
  2. dixmstx

dixmstx New Member

As a nurse, I can tell you that there should not be a reaction from the meds because novacaine is what they call a "local" med in that it only effects the area where it is given. But if he plans to give you laughing gas make sure he knows what you are taking
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I mentioned this to Tandy, I think it was, yesterday. I find it so uncomfortable at the dentist.

First, I ask them not to tip my chair back so far. It makes my sinuses drain plus it gives me a headache.

My dentist knows how hard it is on me and if she has to do any type of procedure, she'll give me a valium (of course you have to get someone to drive you home) and it helps a lot with the pain during and after. You're a lot more relaxed.

Those are the things that have helped me out. If you don't want to ask for the valium, you could take one of your own pain pills right before you go.

Hope it goes okay for you,

Sandy

4. darude

darude New Member

In this post!!!! I have to have mercury and root canal teeth removed. Dreading it!
  5. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I don't think it would be a problem but don't let them give you any of the drug that makes your heart race, I can't remember the name. Can anyone remember the name??? I will post a ??.

PIRT
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... my dental place offers ativan. You take it 20 minutes before you come in.

I find taking two l-theanine pills an hour before the visit helps.

Have you heard of lasar dentistry? Painless, so no need for scary painful needles, no numbness afterwards. Haven't tried it yet (unless I'm in pain I'm not very motivated to see a dentist!!!), but I'll look into it for the next round of work.

Anyone know why dental work is so expensive???!!! I don't have any insurance, so a good smile for me would take a lot of $.

About you novocaine question, lovethesun, you could call your dental office and leave a question for the dentist. They should know if it interferes with the meds. There may be something they could use instead if it's a problem.
    ((((( )))))
  7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

The stress from my dental visit thru me into a flare for a few days. I am also on heavy medication, and I told my dentist about them and he said I would be fine. The meds didn't cause any reaction at all, but I get some anxiety just going to the Dentist. It's just a phobia of mine.

My Son's dentist tells him to wiggle his toes and it won't hurt. Give it a try.. I surely will next time I have to go.

I hope everything goes perfectly well for you.
    Angela
  8. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Lidocaine is the anaesthetic that has a lot of epinephrine in it, and makes my heart do somersaults. I just had a root canal last week (nightmare experience, don't ask!) and they used two other anaesthetics instead -- one was marcaine, I think -- anyways, no heart racing, but they do wear off quickly, so you have to keep getting shots.

No reaction with the pain meds at all.

I did, however, get two horrible migraines, likely as a result of the jaw/trigeminal nerve irritation from the multiple injections.
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Just to clarify, Lidocaine comes without epinephrine and that's what you should ask for. My Dentist has a wonderful pillow that goes over that headrest and makes my neck more comfortable. Also, you can ask to have your dental work booked with shorter appointments; it may take longer but it will be more comfortable with less anxiety.

Kathy.
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

That's the novacaine that comes without the epinephrine---most, if not all, dentists have it nowdays, and makes a world of difference for me. Instead of taking a couple of minutes to kick in, it takes closer to 5-7 minutes to be fully effective, but it doesn't make your heart race, and it's just as effective against pain. I ask for it exclusively now, and it also wears off sooner after your procedure---which I like, since that numbing feeling gets old.

Also---check out Doctor Devin Starlanyl's website. She has excerpts from her book "The Fibromyalgia Advocate" which has excellent chapters on what your various doctors should know when treating a Fibro patient---one of them is called "What your Dentist needs to know about Fibromyalgia". I xeroxed this for my dentist at his request (I had told him about this book) and it's been very helpful for him as he sees several Fibro patients in his practice---it really ups his awareness level when he treats patients who are perhaps more sensitive to painful procedures or drugs used than your average dental patient. So this might be something to check out before you go...

But ask for Carbocaine, I'd never go back to Novacaine after using this...and good luck, I hope things go well for you!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2006]
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

When I go I will be well prepared.!Linda
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

No interactions w/ Lidocaine though. Cleanings hurt alot more, so usually take some codeine before I go, so they don't have to peel me off the lights.

Won't use flouride treatments anyway. They always made me gag and tasted like poison, now I know that's because they are poison. Also developed a sensitivity to the spray on polish treatment, so go w/ the old gritty pumice method.

Jeanne