To Those with Reactive Hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I am trying to rid myself of this problem, and I'm working with a holistic doctor on this

I have found that sugary items (like candy bars, ice cream) are not as bad for ME as are the high high carbohydrate stuff like pizza, cereal, pasta.

It may be that the sugar items also contain fat which slows down the process

I still am avoiding sugar though
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

though I still avoid sugar; starches are worse for me. Starches could also cause me to have problems related to high levels of tryptophan in the brain, which I posted about recently, it's related to insulin peaks -

***"central fatigue following meals"

In another topic Jeanne-in-Canada explained some of the findings in MCS which can lead to feeling fatigued, wiped out or sleepy after meals.

Since then there have been discussion on the Internet on the role insulin peaks have on amino acids, this is most likely to happen when a meal is high in carbs. Too much insulin and too few amino acids can result in trytophan becoming the dominant amino acid in the brain, this results in typical symptoms related to serotonin ie sleepyness, central fatigue, or the neurological symptoms that are present in serotonin syndrome.

This may be why the paleo diet, and the diet Matn used, results in a significant % reporting more energy.

I only get this problem in cycles now; when it resurfaces I eat the protein portion of my meal first, and cut back on my carb intake. Cinnamon helps.

There's a long but excellent article on insulin peaks and amino acids at
    http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-879X1998001200002***

Whilst I was studying nutrition we had a unique opportunity to see an already for ourselves a known reaction following a high intake of complex cabs/starches (this was in 1989). One lunch provided for us was based on vegan dises, they were delicious, but afterwards 2/3 of the students felt sleepy and had problems concentrating - central fatigue.

TC, Tansy [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]