To Twinma- Katy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumpkinpatch, Oct 20, 2005.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I noticed that you work in a lab testing for EBV.

I wonder if you could decifer my EBV FFC lab results.

My results were:
    IgG antibody- 2.21 (pos- suggests immunologic exposure)
    IgM antibody- 1.19 (pos- current or recent infection)
    Nuclear Antibody- 3.77 antibody detected suggests convalescence)

The doctor didn't seem too concerned and I forgot to ask her to explain the results to me.

Were your EBV results similar?

Cindy
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Hi Cindy,

I wish I could help you with interpreting those results, but, unfortunatly, I am in the same boat as you. I am struggling to understand what the numbers mean.

I work in a research lab, not a clinical lab. So I never see blood test results (except my own!).

I do work with Epstein Barr virus, but not testing for it.

My EB results were:

EBV Capsid AB (IGG) 5.93 Positive(High)
    EBNA AB (IGG) 3.25 Positive(High)
    EBV Capsid AB (IGM) 0.20 Negative

From what I can tell on my Quest Diagnostics results, the ++- says "Suggestive of a past Epstein-Barr Virus Infection". That doesn't help!

I'm having a hard time comparing your results to mine, since the terminology is a bit different. It does seem like we both have high EBNA AB(Epstein Barr Nuclear Antigen Antibody) numbers with mine at 3.25 and yours at 3.77.

Dr. LaBair at Denver FFC told me I had a "reactivation" of the virus. She said we would need to treat it with anti-virals, but that it was not top priority.

The CDC website has some good info on EBV. Here is their address: www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm

The CDC does not go into interpreting the numbers, but it helps explain what each term means.

I looked on the Quest Diagnostics website also, but their EB info is not very helpful.

Let me know if you figure anything else out. I will keep you updated if I find out anything too.

Didn't you go to the Denver FFC, also? And you are from Canada, eh?

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2005]
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I see what you mean trying to compare them.

I'm thinking that with the Nuclear Antibody EBNA- our bodies are recognizing the infections and trying the fight it, that's why it says antibody detected suggests convalescence. What do you think?

Yes I flew to Denver Clinc Dr. Labair in June, and I'm from Canada eh!!

I can't remember are you on both antibiotics and antivirals? Are you still on all the hormones? I had mine restested and are really improving. My Reverse T3 dropped from 501 down to 130! Now have to focus on all these infections.

Cindy
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Cindy,

I am still trying to wrap my brain around the whole antigen-antibody idea. I took Immunology in college, and it was tough for me back then, and that was 25 years ago!

An antigen is anything that causes an immune response, like pollen, bacteria or viruses.

Antibodies are formed in response to an antigen to get rid of the antigen. IgM and IgG are antibodies.

IgM is the antibody that is formed when you are first exposed to an antigen. If you are exposed to that same antigen again, then the IgG antibody will be formed.

The blood tests we had measured the IgM and IgG antibodies.

That's about all the brain work I can do today!

And it still doesn't answer the real question: What do these numbers really mean? I'll keep trying to decipher, though!

I am currently on NO antibiotics and NO antivirals.

I have been taking T3 hormone for about two weeks as well as Pregnenolone. I'm also taking Cortef.

I've been feeling better, but not sure what to attribute it to. Could be the T3, Pregnenolone or Cortef. Could be the probiotics, aloe vera juice, lemon and fiber--all to try to get my gut in better shape. Or could be that I've been getting massage therapy since last December.

It's all such a big puzzle, and we all have different pieces to our own puzzles.

Did you have your blood retested at the FFC or up there in Canada? Which tests did they re-run?

Katy
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

If you get more info on the EBV explaination I'd appreciate. There wasn't anything on my bloodwork sheet.

Anyway I was retested for CBC, CMP, pregnenolone, T3, Reverse T3, DHEA, EBV.

and tested for some new ones likes chylmadyia pneu (sp) candida, which were positive. My EBV readings were almost the same both times!

I was visiting my son in Minnesota Sept. 1 and dropped into the local hospital there with my FFC lab request sheet. I didn't have to go to the clinic and hospital faxed them the results. It can be done just a little more leg work.

Did you just start with the Denver FFC?

Cindy

6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I had my first appt at Denver FFC May 10, 2005. My second appt was supposed to be a phone appt May 31st, but that didn't happen. Long story. I'll try to post it sometime, but I don't feel up to it just now.

I had my second appt Oct 3rd and started on T3, etc after that appt. I found this board less than two weeks ago. I wish I had found it earlier!

My 3rd appt is scheduled for Nov 8.

I'm off to a chiropractor appt, and will not be able to get onto the board again until tomorrow. I'm going to have him do the "muscle testing" bit to see if my body says any of these supplements are working. Should be interesting!

Enjoy talking to you, Cindy! I think we have a number of things in common!

Katy