~~~To Twinma~~~~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Feb 13, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Is the compounded T3 hormone you take available without prescription? Does it help balance the Cortef? I'm wondering if my son should take it... thanks in advance!
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I get my compounded T3 from ITC Compounding Pharmacy in Castle Rock, Colorado. You do need a prescription to get it. I got my Rx from FFC, but my PCP also said she would write a Rx for it.

I started with a low dose (5 mcg) of T3 and worked my way up to a dose of 37.5 mcg. I started the Cortef at the same time I started the T3. I take 20 mg Cortef. The combo seems to be a great one for me. I also take 25 mg pregnenolone.

I do think they work all well together. The whole HPA axis is very interrelated. The Cortef helps address adrenal insufficiency and the T3 helps balance the thyroid (for hypothyroid).

Has your son been tested for thyroid? Those tests are complicated, too. Most docs only test for TSH. My TSH always tested normal. When I went to FFC, they tested for Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and TSH. Again, my TSH looked normal. My other numbers were off, but not startlingly off. My Free T3 was slightly low and my reverse T3 was slightly high. This indicated hypothyroidism.

There is a really good post started by dixiegal on 2-7-06 titled "need an adrenal expert". There's some great stuff in there. Elsa and Jeanne-in-Canada and others share good information. Jeanne posts a website that lists a chart that sounds interesting. I haven't checked it out yet, but plan to. Elsa explains alot in her post in that thread titled "Adrenal Gland". Definitely give it a read. Elsa is a wealth of information on hormone info. Tap into her knowledge.

Hope this helps. You're a good mom!

Katy
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I did check on the website suggested by Jeanne-in-Canada. It is really good! It lists:

Signs and Symptoms: Adrenal Fatigue vs. Low Thyroid Function

The site is: http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp

Check it out! It's awesome!
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I think you're great....thanks for the info! He has been tested for thyroid, but it was probably as you said, just the TSH. He was normal...but I'm thinking of getting some more tests. We can't do FFC at present, but we have a private doc who is just about as good. He's really into all of the things FFC does, including chelation treatments for mercury. He OK'd the Cortef and, if the tests warrant, I think he'd prescribe something for thyroid. Take care!