To ValleyGirl89:

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by mamafrey, Aug 26, 2003.

1. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

Hey there sweetie! I am so happy to see that you have so many people that love you dearly here. Just keep taking your small steps like i said, dont take big ones, you might miss something inbetween. Lisa, believe me in my younger years i did everything possible, i took the long hard road. I don't regret any of it, it made me who i am today. The only regret that i had is that i hurt alot of people in the process but i have ask for forgivness and i did forgive myself. Read takesha post "A Splinter From the Cross" that is so true. Early on in my walk with the Lord i was kinda put off by some christians because they came off so strong that it seemed that couldnt even have fun in their lives, well i learned some of the time that is true, but my preception was making me think this. Remember the Lord wants us to be full of joy, happiness, even to be ornery (hmm, is that spelling right?) once in awhile, Lisa, just be who you truly are in your heart during this transition in your life. I don't personally know you, but from reading your post i see it happening. Honey, you have been blessed. God is going to work wonders with you, he already has. Keep in touch, your in my thoughts daily, i was where u were before, it can be scarey. But don't let it be. There isn't anything to be scared of honestly. Its just surrendering that scares us. Giving up are old ways as human beings is scarey. But Lisa, believe me, each and eveyone of us has been through this. We are no better or higher than you. We are all equal. I love you Lisa. love, mamafrey

Lisa, i hope i didn't come off to strong, sorry if i did, i feel full of the spirit his morning. i love the Lord and I know forsure he Loves You!
  2. ValleyGirl89

ValleyGirl89 New Member

I will take small steps, I don't want to miss anything in between and no, you did not come off too strong, it is good to hear these things. I'm sure that it will be hard for me to give up some of my old ways and some of the things I have gotten used to doing, but I will try to find ways to improve as God would want me to do and I will continue to pray and ask him to constantly improve upon my life. I have already been praying that God will remove the temptations that are before me that are not good for my body and for my well being and I feel confident that He will do this for me in His own time. When I first gave my heart to the Lord, I thought that I would completely change overnight, I thought that everything bad that I may have been used to doing and that all the bad things in my life would just dissappear in an instant and I found out that I did not change overnight and that all the bad things did not go away as quickly as I thought. I know that this was a huge misconception on my part, but I still believed it. Then I had some people telling me that if i was a christian then I would not do this or not do that and me being new to this path, I would start thinking maybe they are right, maybe I am still a sinner, maybe I am not worthy to speak the Lord's name. It wasnt really horrible things mama, I had a time trying to quit smoking and I wear makeup, these were the things that I was told a true believer should not be doing... and I know that these things were not right, but I told them that it takes time to give these things up and that God did not expect me to be perfect in an instant, but they still thought that I should not be doing these things. I was even called Jezabelle(hope I spelled this right)by this person and this person was not living right. It really hurt! My husband was also knocked down by this same person and called and I know that I will not spell this word correct, Beilzibub. So anyways and I am so sorry for writing a book! I prayed about these things that I was doing, but then I didn't wait for God to answer, I had already let the doubt and the words of others damage my faith. My husband and I even tried to talk to the pastor of our church and tell him what these people were saying and doing to us and God above knows that I am in no way trying to put him down, but his only response was to pat my husband on the back and say you will be ok. This really did not help us at all, it actually got me to thinking that if our own pastor could not help us or advise us, then maybe I was right in thinking that I was not really a christian, and that I was a huge dissappointment in God's eyes and I could not stand to think of being a dissappointment to God, so I stopped going to church, I stopped praying and I converted back to my old ways. The feelings of failing and being such a dissappointment to God and to myself stuck with me and this is why it took me so long to come back to the Lord. I could not stand the feeling of failing again. I just thought that I would explain to you and everyone else on this board why I had such a hard time and why (Takesha) I continually beat myself up so bad! Again Mamafrey, I am sorry for writing so much and I hope your eyes don't get too tired! Love ya
    Lisa
  3. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

I had to put a smile on my face, you sound like me! Dear one, i still smoke, i know its not a good thing to do, but listen, WE ALL HAVE VICES in our lives. My husband and I have been in and out of a couple of churchs because of the way the high and mighty acted. I am not being judgemental but its not sitting in that pew on Sunday that is going to get someone to heaven, its what you do from Monday - Sunday that matters the most. Not necessarely in your works but whats in the heart. Number one lesson, we all have to remember we are not here to serve others or ourselves, we are here on earth to serve the Lord and the Lord only. We all are sinners and will continue to sin the difference is by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ your sins have been forgiven and also by repentance. Its hard walking the walk when people (the devil in disguise) try to knock you down when you are trying so hard. Don't judge yourself to hard Lisa, you are now Gods child and NOTHING and NO ONE can take that from you. You might have old habits to break and alot of new ones to make, but believe in yourself - - I BELIEVE IN YOU. You are a good person. I get so upset when people try to degrade christians for what they do. YES, the church is for sinners - if not we would have no need for it! Oh my, i was on a roll there. Sorry, keep your chin up, i will still keep you in my prayers. Luv, mama

P.S. my 9 year old last weekend made the comment to me that being a christian and trying to walk in the path of Jesus is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo HARD! out of the mouths of BABES.
  4. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Remember me saying God works from the inside out? Well, that's because I have a big ole list of things myself that need changing! I have smoked all of my life for the most part, and most recently had the patch...I don't smoke cigs, anymore, but Michael smokes a pipe, and now I sneak a few puffs here and there...oh heck...more there than here actually. Daddy God knows all the secrets and how many times I try not to...A preacher once said (and I think it was Kennith Copland) that cigs won't send you to hell, but they'll make you smell like you've been there. It looks to me like there are a few of here that can pray for each other when it comes to this challenge.
    My old pastor, Rob Sowell, from the Christian Growth Center is Christiansburg VA once told us that he had picked up a hitch hiker and the man was drinking a beer. The man immediately tried to hide the beer when he found out Rob was a preacher. Rob reminded the guy, that he (Rob) was just a man, and he (the hiker) didn't need to try to hide anything from him, and that even if the hiker had hid the beer, God saw it anyway. That's the neat thing about having a personal relationship with the Father, He knows just what our weaknesses are, and in time He will help us with them. Keep remembering that every person in the Bible was human also, and some of them were PRETTY SPICEY characters.
    Your, Mama's and My day will come, and God will help us get there. Hugs
    Takesha
  5. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

you can word things more beautiful and clearer than me - thank you. that was beautifully done. mama

oh yes, forgot to tell you guys, my bro, sister-inlaw and i set quit date a month ago for Oct. 1 to quit the cigs. Pray hard on this one. I quit once before for 9 months but NEVER lost the desire. mama
  6. ValleyGirl89

ValleyGirl89 New Member

I want to thank you both for your encouragement. And Mama, your words to me were fine. Wow! So I'm really not alone in this! Makes me feel better just knowing that there are others that have this problem too. I'm not proud of it, but I'm praying everday, several times a day for the Lord to help me overcome this addiction to cigarettes and I know that He will help me in his own good time. I just love you guys! It's great to have so many that will lift you up when your feeling down! I know a song, forgot the name of it that reminds me of this board and all of the people that band toghether to help each other out, there is a small part of the song that says if you are up on the mountain and see me struggling down here, just lift my name up to Jesus, lets help each other make it home. I feel that that is what everyone on this board is doing, helping each other make it home! Thanks to you both again! Keep the prayers going not only for me, but for all of us and I will be doing the same! Oh yes Mama, I will keep you in my prayers for the big date on Oct.1. Love to you both!
    Lisa
  7. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

I think of you often during the day. You don't know how much you have touch my soul and as others on this board. I was telling my sister inlaw about you last night, i mean to tell you this girl LIVES for the LORD and she makes no bones about it and guess what she is a smoker. She is the one that i am going to try to quit with. Anyways, i am so glad we have each other on here to encourage each other and uplift each other. This worship board has been a true blessing to me. I found this board just a couple of weeks before you so i am a newbie here also. I hope you have a wonderful weekend Lisa, the thought of you brings tears of joy to my eyes. Keep the good work up girl, your heading in the right direction and when you fall like the rest of us the Lord will pick you up and you will also have us to support you. luv ya, mama
  8. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I got to thinking after I read this post yesterday of the scipture that says Confess your faults to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed...hmmm doesn't say confess to one another so you slam each other with a million scriptures and make each other feel like garbage... or gossip about the person behind there back...I have had this happen before too..comments like
    You smoke? You know that's not christian etc etc.
    It is a great Privilage to be on the recieving end of anothers "confession" it means they trust you, and are opening up to you. And what is really special to me as that they are being REAL! We need to take it as a great privilage and respond in kind to the trust being placed in us. Love covers a multitude of sin, and we need to continue in love towards each other, regardless of the circumstances. God does!
    I pray now in the name of Jesus for Mama and Lisa and myself, that the Holy Spirit will move in our behalf, and that we will be strengthened within our inner beings and that we will be delivered from these unhealthy habits.
    Amen...hugs to you both.
    Takehsa