To work or not to work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joyousmom2, Sep 28, 2008.

1. joyousmom2

joyousmom2 New Member

I have worked full time since I was 21 and enjoyed the challenges, social interaction and of course, the paychecks. My job was eliminated a few months ago, probably in part due to my abscences. I spent most of March home in bed with either the flu or sever colds.

I thought being home for awhile would help my fibro -- nope, not a bit. I've dealt with this for two years but the symptoms seem to be escalating every day. My hips feel like someone is drilling into them. If I walk somewhere, I'll end up almost passing out from pain on the way back. Yesterday my shoulders, elbows and wrists joined the pain party. I can't express how angry I am at this disease.

I continue to apply for full time jobs though I know I won't be able to keep one. I've applied for social security disabilities and noted in my bank statement that a direct deposit from the government has been set up. I don't know if that means I'm going to get it or what.

I don't want to give up on my career but it seems to pointless to obtain a job only to lose it.

I would love to hear from others on how they handled it. Thank you for any help, or comseration.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Working is such a personal decision for each person. Many have no choice in the matter- they absolutely cannot. Many have to for financial reasons. It's just different for everyone.

I work part time. I have a very flexible schedule. Don't make a ton of money monthly- but if you broke it down into what I make hourly for the amount of time I'm actually IN the office, it's pretty darn good. I really like my job, not just the work I do, but I have a wonderful boss and I love being with people. I truly think that it does help me. There are days that I almost don't want to go home.
    Of course 90% of the time, I don't want to go in the morning, but know that once I get there, I'll feel better about being there.

I've had to time my medication around my work schedule so that I can make it through.

My rheumatologist told me the people who do best with FM are those that work a part time flexible schedule and who are in a loving relationship. I guess he believes in people working as long as possible - which I do understand.

I plan on working as long as I can. There is NO way I could ever work an 8-5 "punch the clock" kind of job. I know I would never make it. For some people to work part time, it's not worth it ($), for some it is. Some people work to keep their mind and body moving.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It's funny I still find myself seeing or hearing of jobs that I know I would love or be good at, then I remind myself that I have Fibro and it's probably highly unlikely that I could ever handle it.

I continue to seek for "opportunities" online etc. to earn extra income. My husband was recently laid off and it put us in quite the bad spot. I'm seeing these jobs as mentioned above that I know (normally) I could do and earn 50k+ and help our situation greatly. It kills me that I can't. BUT...I can't.

If you're worried about losing a sense of self by giving up working - stay connected in some way to that world. I don't know what kind of work you did, but ya know never what might be in front of you in a part time or freelance type of position down the road.

What's best for your body and your mind need to be taken into consideration. It's one more tough thing that we have to deal with.

I wish you luck!
  3. tamjonw

tamjonw New Member

I'm just starting the whole process of deciding whether or not to work. How long did it take for you to get any kind of compensation once you stopped working? My fear is that I will be without pay for a long time and then denied disability. Did you have to get an attorney to help you? I just don't want to mess things up for our family!!
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I went on sick leave the beginning of July. I am still coming to grips with not working. I certainly don't feel any better. I thought I would,but I think I'm doing more physical work at home and that isn't helping matters much.

I had an accident in the spring that made my FM go into overdrive. I'm not sure if it will revert back to the way it was before. I tried to get teleworking from home (I'm a computer programmer), but with my pain levels now plus the shoulder injury I sustained, I couldn't even be on the computer that long to be of any good.

I'm going to start Aquafit for FM in October. I figure that while I have this time off, along with getting to do things in the house I never had time for, I'm going to learn all I can on how to help my health.

It's very hard to leave a job you love, but I have to be realistic about what I can do.

I wish I had better advice, but I'm also learning just like you.

All the best,

[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2008]
  5. joyousmom2

joyousmom2 New Member

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful notes. Today I went to an interview with a recruiting firm. I did fine the first hour and then in the middle of the typing test my hands started to shake and I could feel my brain getting fuzzy. As I talked with the recruiter I could tell my blood sugar was dropping big time. When I stood up to leave I felt this new form of vertigo that started recently and just smiled and held on to the cube wall. All in all, it went very well but it also made me realize how limited I am physically.

I appreciate all of your ideas and experiences. This site is so important to me. Only other fibro sufferers understand and believe the things we go through.