To you low-carb people:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnG, Jun 11, 2003.

1. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I so love sugar and chocolate and pastry.....

Can you please tell me what a typical day or two looks like for you? What do you eat? How did you get over the initial cravings?
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

as a diabetic; however I'm like you, I LOVE chocolate, pastries, and ice cream!!!!

If I try to cut down, the cravings are uncontrollable.

I have absolutely NO willpower. I really need help, too!

I know my eating habits will catch up with me and it is very dangerous for a diabetic, but I can't help myself.

I, too, want to know how others get over the cravings for sweets.
  3. healing

healing New Member

When I am on strict Atkins ("induction"), this is what a typical day might look like:

Breakfast: a couple of scrambled eggs with a side of bacon
    decaf coffee w/ Splenda and half & half
    OR an Atkins powerbar (not all low carb bars
    are the same) and coffee, as above

Lunch: 1/4 rotisserie chicken OR a hamburger patty
    OR similar chunk o' meat with a small salad
    with blue cheese or other full-fat dressing
    OR a chef's salad (heavy on the "chef's" and
    light on the "salad")

Snack: Sugar-free jello

Dinner: See lunch. Might, depending on what I had to
    eat earlier, have 1/3 cup cooked green veggies
    like green beans, broccoli, etc.

Dessert: Once off induction, 1/2 cup berries and a pile
    of home-whipped heavy cream!

Everyone has trouble getting through induction -- but I promise you, the cravings do go away and I almost never felt hungry. I found that every time I started wanting chocolate (later in the diet, I let myself have a very occasional piece of very very dark chocolate) or another carb, I would deliberately weigh that against insulin resistance, diabetes, candida, etc. It was easy to make the right choice.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2003]
  4. dd

dd New Member

I have been on the Atkin's Diet for almost 2 years now and have lost almost 100 pounds. I didn't start the diet to lose weight though...I did it to control my Hypoglycemia...which it has done for me.

Believe me, I did not think that I would have the will power to stay away from sweets and starches...especially chocolate and potatoes...mmmm good...I will tell you that the first couple weeks were not the easiest for me. I went thru major carb withdrawals and felt really sick and weak...more than usual for me. I almost gave in a couple of times but...Thank God...I stuck to my guns. After the 2nd week I felt like I had more energy and began to feel a lot better.

A typical day for me:

Breakfast - 2 eggs either boiled or poached and a couple slices of bacon or sausage.

Snack - A couple of Trisquits with natural peanut butter or a couple slices of cheddar cheese with the Trisquits.

Lunch - A large chicken/ceasar salad with Ranch dressing (no low fat anything) with shredded cheese, bacon pieces, cucumber, onion, celery.

Snack - Slices of roast beef from the deli or turkey or ham, all with cheese rolled inside of it. Sometimes I bake it in the oven to get it crispy.

Dinner - Baked chicken with the skin on for taste and another large salad or a helping of fresh green beans.

Bedtime Snack - More deli meat or more Trisquits with cheese or peanut butter.

That is just a sample of what I eat. There is so much more that I can eat. I do not buy the packaged lunch meats because of all the preservatives...and to me they just don't taste all that great. I also eat steak, turkey, fish, shrimp, hamburger, pork chops.....

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Peace,

Debbie
  5. JQP

JQP New Member

To help me I have used Chromium which helps balance blood sugar and other effect then you don't get the sugar cravings because you don't get the 'crashes'. I am also diabetic and it has helped me stay low enough not to have medication.

Good book to read is Leslie Kenton's X Factor diet - she's a nutrition expert and writes in terms that you and I can easily understand. It's like the Atkins diet, but not so strict and easier to follow.

The other book is The Diet Cure, Judith Wills (I think). She talks about helping ourselves through nutrition and covers many sections again in a way that is understandable.

Jacqui

6. Dara

Dara New Member

but I know I should be. My sister is doing the Suzanne Somers diet, she has lost over 70 pounds in less than a year and I know there have been times when she's gone off of it. Someone that I used to work with has also lost a lot of weight. In my sisters case she went from a size 22 to a size 12 and is still losing. Also, her blood sugar is down to 100, first time it's ever been that low. I know that she has the book/books from the Somers diet and it has a lot of really good dessert recipes in them. She even makes her own ice cream and it is delicious. I keep telling myself I'm gonna do it, but what will I do without those potatoes & gravy??

Dara
  7. AnnG

AnnG New Member

...for your kind answers. I am going to put them to use starting today. I do need to lose 20-30 lbs. but more important is my desire to help my FM in any way I can. I think I will start a thread on chit chat and see if I can drum up a team of "low-carbers" so we can support each other, share tips, etc. I do much better in a team situation. So, anyone who has wanted to try this (or you vets!) come on over and lets do this!
  8. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

It was easy for me to make the choice once I understood the connection between diet and my symptoms. If I "cheat", I feel horrible.

I am on a modified Atkins diet specifically for CFSers. I am the cook of the house, so I can make what I want!

Breakfast:
    Salmon cake ( canned low salt salmon and egg mixed, fried in canola oil)
    blueberries
    Sometimes I'll add rye toast/ butter and an egg

Lunch:
    Sandwich of pure rye bread with chicken or tuna salad, apple.
    cashews or almonds
    Sometimes leftover vegs from last night's dinner.

Dinner:
    Meat: Large portion of any chicken, fish, pork or beef. Sweet potato with sour cream, casserole of squash, green peppers, onion with olive oil.Salad of romaine and other low carb veggies.
    Dessert; apple.

Snacks anytime:
    Wassa crackers with cream cheese, or peanut butter (natural)
    and more fruit.Nuts. A slice of rye and more chicken salad.

Sometimes I have to cut way down on the bread early in the day. Too many carbs and I feel it.
    Mad

9. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I am getting hungry! I started a thread on chat board but no takers yet. I'm doing this anyway!
  10. mystijul

mystijul New Member

I mainly eat nuts, veggies, salads, string cheese, meats, mushrooms, peppers, onions, cucumbers & garlic. With the nuts there aren't very many cravings for junk food. When I do want something sweet I go to Wal-mart and get a low carb candy bar.

~Julie
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

After about 3 days on the Induction plan of the Atkins diet, I lost all cravings for sweets, including chocolate, and I am/was a chocoholic for most of my life. Here is a sample menu for me....btw, I have lost 2 dress sizes since early May.

Breakfast:

ham and cheese omlette
    or
    mushroom, cheese and green pepper omlette
    or
    eggs and sausage links

Lunch:
    one large lettuce leaf, layered in sliced deli turkey, mayonaise, (not Miracle Whip!!!) hard cheese slices. I roll it up and eat it like a "samrich"...it's delicious!

snacks:
    I get the beef sticks from the deli and free feed on those, or I am allowed a couple of tablespoons of natural peanut butter. This is in the refrigerated section, not Jif!
    (I don't even want snacks, because by the time I'm through the first couple or three days of this diet, I have zero appetite and have to force myself to eat. This is the beauty of this diet, it's not a struggle.) I also on occasion will have a slice of whole wheat toast with butter, not margarine. And that's "whole" wheat, not just wheat....check the list of ingredients.

Supper:
    grilled steak, chops, fish, chicken
    green salad with cucumber, blue cheese or ranch dressing, no red dressing.
    mushrooms marinated in butter, not margarine.

Evening snack:
    more beef sticks or sugar free jello with real whipped cream made with Splenda, artificial sweetner...you can't have Cool Whip, it has to be REAL whipped cream you make yourself. It's so good. I'm also at the stage where I can have 1/2 cup of sugar free chocolate pudding with my supper.

Marilyn :)
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

..because I did lose 5 lbs. per week when I went low carb, and I never even did the induction phase. For the first 3 weeks, I lost 5 lbs. a week. The next 2 wks. I lost only one lb. per wk., and since then (6 mos.) I have stayed at the same weight, even though I need to lose another 50 lbs.
    I think I would have to go down to the induction level to lose more, and I can't stand the thought of it.
    The cravings really do go away if you stick to it, but ever since the temp. went up to 90 here, I have been cheating with ice cream, and as soon as I do that, the cravings come back. I know it is hard to whip yourself into sticking to this, but you really will feel SO much better. My cholesterol ratio improved a lot also. Now I just have to take my own advice and get back to basics.
    Klutzo
  13. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

The other thing is sometimes you crave certain foods for a reason and if you know why it helps you in changing your diet. For example, I have had IBS since I was born. Foods that have simple sugars or starchy foods (like pasta and the potato) were always "safe" to eat. Therefore, I tend to go to these as a safe food. Knowing this helps me to understand why I crave these kinds of food.

I also had gestaional diabetes twice. For the sake of the life I was carrying I did change my diet, no cheating. I found that once I got out of certain habits, it was easy to break. Once I stopped eating ice cream I really did not crave it any more. When I started eating it again, I wanted it again.

I guess it is a matter of your own health and longevity. Also, others suffer if we mistreat our own bodies. This is the only body I have even if I wish it looked like Jennifer Aniston's sometimes. I am way past that phase in age, I think. But, the true essence is to center on being healthy and feeling better. At least that is what I am trying. I am now there yet. Not to mention, I have let my kids get into bad eating habits here and there due to the FMS and my inability to watch over them as much as I would like.

I suppose in the end, we each have to find our own reasons for staying healthy.

Lynda B.
  14. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I understand what you are saying about the IBS. I was diagnosed way back when it was called spastic colon and my Gastro Dr. told me to eat "white bread and twinkies". He'd probably be sued if he said that now!