Today has not been a good day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Apr 16, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

The last couple of days have been very warm, sunny days. My kind of day. I told myself I'd get a little gardening done. Well, needless to say I WAY overdid it. Last evening my husband needed help & after all he does for me I just could not say no.

Last night I hurt so bad all night, didn't sleep well, took pain med during the night (which I very rarely do) & this morning I called and cancelled my therapy session. I have gone to therapy before knowing they wouldn't get much out of me on that particular day, but today I just couldn't bring myself to put myself through it.

I had the worst fatigue today. I've never known such fatigue in my life! Earlier this afternoon I was lying on the sofa, wanted to get up & absolutely could not make a muscle in my body move. Couldn't even open my eyes. I could not even get my hand to move when I had an itch.

Well, I finally managed to get up & feel somewhat better this afternoon. I just don't know how I will make it through the summer without constant flare-ups. I would just curl up & die if I couldn't do my outdoor work. To me it is not work - I enjoy it so much - my yard, veggie gardens & all my flower gardens.

Well, thanks for listening. Just needed to get a few things off my chest.

Good health to all........Kathi
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Been there, done that. I think everyone on this board has done the same. We just need to learn to pace ourselves, but that is so very hard to do. Try soaking in a hot bath with epsom salts and take it easy for a day or two.
    Kathryn
  3. bejo

bejo New Member

I find the best way to be able to do things that we really love to do is to pace yourself.Instead of trying to do too much in one day,spread it out to several days.It's a compromise with fibro,but it works for me.Hope you get back on your feet soon.I understand what you mean about fatigue.Fibro gives a whole new meaning to the word tired,doesn't it? (((()))) bejo
  4. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

because my husband understands my illness and helps me manage it. It does irritate me and make me feel a bit like a kid when he tells me no, dear, you really should go rest and not do a, b AND c, or GO TO BED, dear..., but he's right. Now and then, if I feel strongly enough about something, I will insist, though I may end up paying for it later. I agree that everyone on this board has overdone it and paid for it later. Thank God for that stash of pain pills and that nice, fluffy pillow. Anyway, we have a partnership in our marriage as well as our business and he helps me manage my illness so that I can help him as much as I can (because I really do want to help, we gotta pay those bills!) and if he knows how I feel, he knows how to plan his days, too.
    Tibbie
    P.S. That long soak sounds good. Hope you feel better soon
  5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I feel much better this evening. Tried to take it easier today although I did do a little more gardening this evening. I needed to get some lettuce planted since it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

I really hate to let my husband know how bad I feel because I know he needs my help & if he knows how much I'm hurting he won't ask. We live on a farm & there is one section of fence that needs replaced, it's right at the top of a deep ravine & scares me to death when he goes up there with the tractor to drill holes. Also when it's on a hill like that he needs help & I'm the only other one here. The neighbors have called the sheriff twice already cause the cattle were munching their front yard (not that I blame them) so the fence is really a priority. This is on top of his full time job. After that is done he said he will take care of the heavy garden work I need done. My problem is being patient enough to wait!

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't use their head sometimes. :)

Good health.........Kathi
  6. Narayani

Narayani New Member

I can so relate to the gardening problem. A couple of weeks ago my husband was hauling stones into the pathways of our garden. He needed help, and even though he kept telling me to go rest, i just couldn't let him him do it by himself, because he did really need help. As expected, i went into a major flare up. When will we ever learn when "things need to be done". I guess the both of us are going to really need to be careful and "listen" to our bodies so we don't spend the summer in bed instead of smelling the flowers and soaking up the sunshine!!
  7. ozgran

ozgran New Member

Understand perfectly as I love my garden and have just set myself back for the last two weeks. Much pain etc and very tired. AND I only did two bursts two days apart. I used to spend whole days in my garden. So very frustrating isn't it?
    Just have to learn to pace myself. Love Ozgran.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

See my response to Joannie1 about overdoing it.

Love, Mikie
  9. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

What you say makes so much sense. But the reality of my life is that sometimes you NEED to do things that you know are not good for you - such as helping hubbing with fence work. We can't afford for the neighbors to call the sheriff again because the cows are out. Anyone who lives on a farm knows that there is always work to be done & often one cannot do it alone. Since there is only hubby & I.........what can I say. I could let my veggie garden go & buy canned veggies at the store but am not crazy about all the "stuff" they add to processed food. My flower beds are the least problem since most are perenniels & weeding & feeding is all that is required.

But - I will try to keep in mind what you said about doing 1/3 of what I THINK I can. Most times I should be able to do that, but - there are those other times......

Thanks to all for your continued support. It sure helps emotionally.......Kathi