Today is Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Roseblossom, May 12, 2006.

1. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Here's the email greeting card I sent to all my friends:

Today, May 12th is National CFS Awareness Day!

I so very much appreciate your care & understanding, my friends.

Love, Roseblossom

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), also known as Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS), or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), is a serious disabling illness that is still one of the most misunderstood.

The Centers for Disease Control defines it as: Unexplained, persistent disabling fatigue that is not alleviated by rest, has lasted over six months, and results in substantial reduction of previous levels of activity.

The profound exhaustion of a person with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) bears no relation to the fatigue a healthy person feels as the result of a busy life.

Other symptoms include: sore throat & swollen, painful or tender cervical lymph nodes; muscle pain & multi-joint pain; post-exertion/stress malaise lasting more than 24 hours; unrefreshing sleep; heightened central nervous system sensitivity & distress; and difficulty with concentration or memory in the presence of sensory overload.

The illness waxes & wanes unpredictably, with the severity of symptoms varying from day to day. People with CFS describe it as feeling on their worst days as if they have a bad case of flu… and then on their better days, feeling as if they are in recovery from a bad case of flu.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a complex, multi-system illness, presenting as abnormalities in the immune, neurological, endocrine and other systems. People with the illness can have a function level that can be compared to that of someone with heart disease or multiple sclerosis, or to someone with cancer undergoing chemotherapy.

As of yet there is no cure - only treatments to alleviate the discomfort of symptoms, and lifestyle changes to reduce contact with stressors. Therapy to understand & accept a disabling health event for which there is no cure may also be helpful.

2. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

Roseblossom - Excellent and concise description of CFS! Is it ok if I use this to send to my friends & relatives - most of whom just don't "get it"?

Thanks,

Cabbie
  3. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

What a nice thing to say :) And I'm delighted that you'd like to use my CFIDS flyer - absolutely!

This is one I printed several copies of and gave to my employer, and posted by my desk; and I give them out to anyone who wonders & asks what my illness is like.

I just got too tired of explaining to people all the time - this way they can take it home and look at it again.

Hope you're having a good day, Cabbie :)

Roseblossom

4. cerise

cerise New Member

If you would like to know more about May 12th International Awareness Day and how and why it got started, check out the RESCIND Inc. website at www.geocities.com/capitolhill/4277