Today's doctor visit This is why I hate them

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Aug 8, 2006.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

I kept my word and say the doctor today for the first time on 7 months. He came in very nicely and we exchanged our pleasantries. I starting going over everything and he says" I thought this was going to be simple and not a 40 minutes talk about what's been going on...." I was pissed. I went over everything as he shuffled though my chart and some other files in the office. I told him that I stopped seeing the doctors was because my rhummy was just pushing prednisone and he didn't seem to want to help me.

I listed all the tests he has done and that NONE of them showed anything. He asked ME,"well what should we do??" I don't think he know much about fibro or CFS.. He said all my symptoms are probally due to the lack of quaility sleep I'm getting and asked me if I wanted to try the "new" Ambien CR... Ambien CR isn't that new!!! I said yes as the Lunesta didn't do squat.

He wants me to see him in next week and draw blood AGAIN.. How many times can you do the same blood test? He said it would be a good idea then to see his rhummy as he has a good relationship with him.

He didn't put a dose on the script again this time either(he did the same with the Lunesta). Does anyone know the standard does for Ambien CR?? He put me on 1mg of the Lunesta so I'm sure he's going to give me a low dose of this too...

I don't know what do do anymore... With no treatment this DD is taking a major toll on me. It's affecting my work, my home life and my personal life. I just feel like he's not taking me serious...

Any and ALL sugestions are welcome.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

If I were you, I would go see a naturopath. They work with diet, nutrition, supplements and will do tests that regular doctors usually don't (e.g., saliva cortisol testing). If I had stuck with regular doctors, I would probably be taking a bunch of meds with unwanted side effects and be no better off.

e.g., I had terrible trouble with insomnia- waking up in the middle of the night and unable to go back to sleep. Saliva testing showed my cortisol levels were high, interfering with sleep. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine - not a drug) and it helped a lot. I also started taking 5-htp, an amino acid, which helps the brain produce serotonin and it helped a lot with sleep also. I also take l-theanine, another amino acid, this one helps produce GABA. So there are lots of things to be explored with sleep problems. Many people here have sleep testing done and turn out to have sleep apnea.

Anyways, taking Ambien is not going to solve your sleep problems. I think you should do your own research and go see a naturopath. Most regular doctors are pretty helpless with these illnesses.

Mary
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

Somebody asked me about my sleep. Did I feel rested in the morning?
    When I said never, then the suggestion was made to tell the doctor that my sleep was unrestorative. Once I had a sleep study done, it was clear that I wasn't getting deep sleep at all.
    This can give your doctor a direction to go in his search to make you better. It sounds like he's frustrated and does want to find an answer for you.
    Personally, since xyrem works so well for me, I'd bring in info on that (once the sleep disorder is diagnosed). Not everyone does well with it, but if you do, it will give you the restful sleep needed.
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I cant help you but I truely feel your problems you are having with the Doctors .I just wanted to tell you you are not alone
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

If we could have just a nickel for every idiot doctor that one of us on this board has had to deal with, we would all be rich and could afford to pay someone to be nice to us NO MATTER WHAT.

Ditch the doc and his sidekick rheummy. If they are in cahoots and undertreating you as it is, it's never going to get any better than this.

It's not YOUR failure. It's THEIRS. Remember that. I know it can be frustrating. Good ones are out there - just rare as all get out. But don't stop until you find one!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I don't think I am good at expressing my problems to my doctor. I try to be nice, not bother them, be polite, but they are killing me.
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

Obviously, the printed page doesn't convey expressions and tone of voice, so it can be read both ways. I've had doctors say 'what can I do?' as 'quit bugging me', and others were sincere. We are a challenging group to take care of.

So, we need to be our own advocates. Bring in short research papers on treatments that we think will help. I had one doctor be very appreciative, and another honestly tell me he'd never read it. I don't go to that one anymore.

Another suggestion that worked for me. I went to Vitality101, Teitelbaum's site and found a doctor in my area who trained in that protocol. At least I know he believes in this illness and has access to a variety of treatments.
  8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am so sorry that you had to go through this and the only peice of advice I can give you is to dump this doc. I went through a similar situation with a Rheumatologist. I wish I would of simply walked out of the office - she made me wait over 2 hours and when she came in with no answers just like your doc.

I know that they are just doctors but we do want answers and if they don't have them then who does? And if they don't have the answers they should send you to someone that does. I finally found a wonderful Rheumatologist and he does take blood work every month to monitor my Sed Rate, CRP, and White blood count and other diagnostics. He also supports treating the patient not numbers and I have been seeing him almost 1 year and I feel better then I have in a long time!

Good luck, Nancy

9. cczub

cczub New Member

Thanks for all the support... It just feels like I've delt with this on my own for over 6 months and was hoping the doctor would help out... At least he gave me the Ambien so hopefully that will help some with the sleep.

daisys-My insurance won't cover a sleep study. My doctor asked me if sonre and when I said no he said "good, we don't have to worry about sleep apnea".

nanjee- I've never tried Klonopin.. So far the only thing the doctors have tried me on were, Lunesta, Lexapro, Xanax and prednisone.... My pain isn't being managed at all.. I'm on nothing for it besides Icy-Hot and my heating pad... I mentioned it to him today and he said let's see how you feel after getting some good sleep.... Cutting back at work isn't a possibility.. With the house, wife and son I'm barely getting by now and that's with my wife working. The rhummy I had been seeing I will NEVER see again..

Thanks for all the feedback... It was funny, I found the pamphlet(which I forgot to bring to the doctor today) from Immunesuport with the breakdown of CFS and FM... I read through it again and though how everything matched up. I know there's no "miricale pill" but just wish they would start treating the sleep issue and pain issue. Anything to try to get this calmed down.
  10. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

The one I just went to ordered all kinds of blood tests to include cortisol. May you need an endo. Nautropaths are expensive and not covered by most inurances, believe me I know. I wish insurances would add them.
  11. cczub

cczub New Member

Thanks for the info on the endocrinologist... I checked with my insurance and they don't cover nautropaths.... I'm really short on the $$$ as we all are... Between the copay and Ambien today it's $50.00.. Next week will be at least another $20+ whatever meds he decides to put me on next.. I know I need something for the pain and by now something for the stress/aniety... Then there's the new rhummy and maybe an endocrinologist...
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  12. IowanMom

IowanMom New Member

I am on Ambien CR, 12.5mgs (highest dosage I think). I have been taking it for probably a good 6 months. For the most part it works pretty well. I have never felt droggy the next day with it.
    They put me on it because in addition to the pain, stress, and not getting a good nights sleep- I was having nightmares. I have been seeing an counselor. And there were a couple of times I still couldn't sleep, even after taking the Ambien CR. The counselor told me that if your mind is working overtime, it can see right through the sleeping pills and then they won't work.
    They do say that a person needs to be able to have at least 8 hours of sleep when taking Ambien CR.

Long story short....I like it, but it all depends on the individual. Try one month. You'll know if it's going to work for you by then.

Good luck and best wishes!

~Amy~
  13. cczub

cczub New Member

Started the Ambien CR last night, 6.5mg dose..... It helped me fall asleep quickly but only lasted 4 hours.. :(
    Was hoping for a better result. Not gonna give up though.. Gonna give it a good run and see it they will work for me. I want to look online to see what the doses are... My doctor seems to always start me very low...

As for my thyroid level, it's fine.... They have tested me for EVERYTHING.. Or so my doctor says... I want to get a copy of the bloodwork he's done in the past. I know he plans on doing more bloodwork next week.
  14. PHR

PHR New Member

My family doc also says my thyroid levels are normal, but my pain management doc (who is wonderful!) says that what most docs call "normal" is not normal to him and that he has helped patients a lot with the meds. I will find out next week and let you know the numbers.

I have been on the duragesic patch for over a year and it helps me so much. I use ultracet and percoset for break through pain. The patches are expensive, but there is a generic one that is cheaper, but that does not work for me.

Good luck in getting some relief.
    Kathy
  15. cczub

cczub New Member

I'll check out those pages nanjee for men with FM... Everything was so bad yesterday(not much better today) that I actually called one of the doctors from this site and made an appointment for next week. I'm just trying to get copies of all the tests I've had done so I can document how long this has been going on.
  16. cczub

cczub New Member

Thanks for the support... I had a bad night last night as the Ambien did NOTHING... I had some of the worst sleep ever.. I looked around today and apparently it comes in 2 dosage strenghts 6.25mg and 12.5mg. The 12.5 is the normal dosage for adults and the 6.25mg is for elderly patients... My doctor gave me 6.25mg.... He did the same with the Lunesta and put me on 1mg, the lowest dose... I don't think this guy has a clue!