Todo list: March 10 16

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EllenComstock, Mar 10, 2008.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I didn't see the post this morning, so I decided to get it started. I had a rough weekend. I spent it having a flare-up. I just felt achy all over and my left hip and lower back was especially bad. On Sunday I felt better, but then last night I was worse again and didn't hardly sleep. But I'm here at work as I had a project to do that really needed to get done today. It's days like this that I really enjoy you girls that get to stay at home and can lay around on days like this. Oh, well. At least I'm no longer working full-time anymore.

I do need to get groceries after work. I would do it tomorrow, but Harry wants me to go with him to his doctor's appt. I don't see the need for it, but he wants me there.

My FIL is continuing to progress nicely from the surgery. He is getting pretty ornery, though. So far I think he has snapped at everyone in the family except my husband and most of the nurses in the hospital. I am sure the nurses will be glad when he goes home! I feel sorry for my MIL, though!

To-do list:

-simple dinner
    -l-o-o-n-g nap!

2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I do get excited easily.

Hopefully this week I will be able to get caught up on some much needed work.

wax floors
    rest a little

3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends,

I'm sorry you're having a bad spell Ellen and I hope you feel better soon. I don't envy your having to work on days like this. Each time I flare, I'm gratefully aware of how fortunate I am to have a long-term-disability pension. Without workplace responsibilities and/or small children to care for, I'm fortunate to be able to rest whenever I need.

I'm glad you had a nice birthday, Linda and have enjoyed some time potting flowers. I hope you're continuing feel better and that the pain in your tail-bone has eased.

Laceymae, I'm right with you, counting the days until spring.

Regards & best wishes to those who have yet to check in, with hopes for a good week upcoming.

- organize clothes closet & dresser drawers
    - clean kitchen & washroom
    - dust living room & office
    - plan meals & make grocery list
    - cut-up veggies, make individual puddings/jello
    - make rice & lentil casserole for dinner

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. greygodess

greygodess New Member

This week is a slow one for me. Unlike last week.

Monday and tuesday-rest and walk the dogs.
    Wednesday- morning meeting at church
    Thursday- Shawl ministry
    Friday- Help at a fish fry
    Saturday- birthday party for grandchild
    Sunday- help teach sunday school

Maybe not as slow as I thought. Will also try to walk the dogs every day, knit, and get a little housework done. Along with my daily nap. Godbless
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Today hubby is staying home from work because he's sick, poor thing. But I always enjoy having him around.

Daughter is coming in for her monthly psych appt so I'll be taking her to that. Not sure what else we'll end up doing today.

Linda, I'm glad you had a nice birthday....

Anne Theresa, are you still doing well on your new med?

And Ellen, sorry to hear that you're flaring again, although I wouldn't be to envious of us who stay home all the time...there's a very good reason for it, too sick to be able to work even part time.

I had 4 good years of remission after my first bedridden flare where you wouldn't even have known that I was sick. I was about 90% of my old self.

Then this hit in July of 04 and it's just been this last year that I realized it's no longer a flare, it's just my life. I now live on about 40% of what and who I used to be.

And yes hon, I know you didn't mean anything by's hard to work with this DD. Bless you for managing what you do.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Sorry, Nancy, and everyone else here. I didn't mean to offend you by saying that I wish I could stay home like you do. I realize that there's a reason why you all have to stay home. I also realize that I should be grateful that I am well enough (most of the time) to work part-time. But it is hard to not feel envious on the days when I have to go to work on days when I feel really bad. I know I could call in sick, but so often it happens on a day when I have a project that really needs to get done. FMS doesn't choose the best times to rear its ugly head, does it?

I'm doing better today and I slept better last night, but I'm still feeling some aches and I'm feeling extra tired. My husband really wants me to go with him to his doctor appt. this afternoon and I have my pool therapy class. I know the pool water will feel good and I should go to that, but I would love to skip the dr. appt. I really don't know why my husband can't handle this himself. Maybe if I explain that I really need to lay down between work and my pool class? He should understand that.

At least this morning has gone by pretty fast as I've been busy. I only have another hour to work.

My FIL is still in the hospital, but should be getting out soon, possibly tomorrow. He has been so ornery, he is difficult to deal with right now.

Take care, everyone.

7. laceymae

laceymae New Member

A foggy dreary day here...At least the ice and snow is about gone.

Linda..I am soooo jealous, potting flowers and 70*'s. Hubby has an Aunt that lives in Sun Lakes AZ. She misses the snows that we have here sometimes, but Needed to move to a warmer climate for health reasons.

Ellen... hope u are feeling better. Is the FIL still being difficult? My 85 year old FIL fell Sunday on ice and hit his head on the road. Hubby took him to the hospital and luckily he is fine.

Anne Theresa...I too am glad that I don't have little kids home anymore. I don't know how I would be able to tend to them, but then God gives us the strenght to do what needs to be done. Hubby better? Know what you mean about having them home. I enjoy the weeks that mine doens't have to work. A few years ago I would never have said that, but he is nice and handy to have aroung now.

Grey Goddess...hope you are having a pain free week and not over doing it to much

need to take out the ashes from the wood stove and sweep some of the crude out of the floor

8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Greygoddess, it's good to see you - I hope you're well. It seems you have a lot to keep you busy this week. It's nice you're so involved with the community.

To answer your question, Nancy, yes I still feel the new anti-depressant is helpful. I feel an improved sense of well-being, beyond that I don't know how to explain the effect. It's not a huge shift, just a subtle change like having the strength of your eyeglasses increased to bring about slightly sharper focus. Unfortunately, it hasn't impacted on my pain level.

I'm glad you're sleeping a bit better Ellen, though it seems you've lost some ground and need to recoup. After so much stress and concern for your father-in-law, it's important now that your own needs be deemed a priority. I hope you get some rest, even if it means not 'being there' for someone else or missing a day from work.

Lacey, I'm glad the snow & ice in your area is melting but those grey-days can really bring a person down. I have an indoor sun-lamp that I blast on dark winter days to offset the low mood that accompanies a lack of sunlight.

I heartily agree with your sentiment that God gives us the strength to do what needs to be done. It was only through the experience of illness and prayerful reflection that I learned to prioritize, rely on God for strength, let go of perfection and ask for help when I need it.

I've done some housework already today and so I only have a few things to do before I get together with my friend for our Tuesday-night outing.

respond to email
    clean washroom
    make bed
    make jello cups

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Ellen, you couldn't possibly offend me...I know what you meant and I know you've been through a very stressful few weeks lately.

And I know what you mean about hubby's appt daughter always wants me to go yet doesn't always listen to my helpful advice, especially in the past. Maybe he just needs the support?

My husband doesn't do well with docs, he answers things oddly (and wrong) like saying he's 'fine' when obviously he's not or he wouldn't be there, so I like to go to his appts when I can to speak to the doc myself.

I hate to add more to your plate, but it might help to have you there to speak to the doc yourself about your husband's symptoms. Depression is tricky and you may notice things that he doesn't.

I slept late this morning and hubby was already gone to work when I got up so I hope he's really feeling better this morning.

So for today, I need to try to repair my sewing machine. It just stopped working right a few days ago and I need to see if there's something I can do to fix it.

Also add potting soil to my indoor plants.

Sorry not to answer all individually, a bit high on my blood sugar this morning....

Hugs all,

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, my FIL is coming home sometime today. My husband is calling my MIL to see what time. He will probably be going with her to bring him home and he is really dreading the ride home. Mainly because my FIL is really grumpy right now. He really needs to be back on his anti-depressant again. Both he and my husband have the same problems with depression and need to be on anti-depressants all the time, but some time ago my FIL went off his medication, unfortunately. So that isn't helping his mood any.

He's sure his mother will want him to go along to help with his father. I really feel for my MIL having to deal with my FIL during the next six weeks. My father-in-law said he doesn't need anyone to take care of him, which, of course, isn't true. None of us know what to do with him when he gets like this. He's even being difficult with me which he normally doesn't do. He's been difficult with the staff at the hospital. I'm sure they will be thrilled to see him leave today. He says he is tired of them telling him what to do.

I am doing better and have slept better the passed two nights. My husband and I managed to laugh over my FIL's antics this morning. I think we have to try not to get too stressed over him as this won't help us any.

Lacey: I'm so sorry your FIL fell on the ice over the weekend, but am glad he is okay. I am doing better. Thanks for asking.

Anne Theresa: I'm glad the anti-depressant is helping you, but sorry that is isn't helping with your pain. Your right-I do need to have some "me" time after all the stress of the past couple of weeks. Things have slowed down here at work and I am thinking of taking a day off at work. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

Nancy: I'm so glad you're not mad at me and understand what I was saying. I did end up going to Harry's dr. appt. He just doesn't do well going alone. Especially since this involves his anti-depressant medication. I ask questions that he doesn't think about. So it helps him to have me there.

Linda: I'm glad you had a good birthday. How's the tailbone doing?

To-do list:

-spend some time with Jim this afternoon
    -long nap
    -vacuum carpet upstairs
    -leftovers for dinner

11. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hello Ellen, Lacey, Linda, Anne Theresa, Nancy and everyone else who has accepted me into this wonderful group,

I haven't posted because I've been in a cave. I finally had a rheumotologist consult Monday, got a dx of Fibro to go with my CFIDS/CIDP/tendonitis/bursitis and just fell apart. I posted for support on the CFS/FMS board the details just now. You all have had such tribulations recently that I just didn't want to add my burdens here.

So for today:

Laundry--sheets and towels (3 loads)
    PT appointment for right shoulder
    catch up a week's worth of mail (no bill paying til next week! <grin>)
    update my pain/med/tx journal
    put out fire emails
    (leftovers here too, Ellen)

I only wish I had an hour for myself to try the Epsom Salt bath everyone seems to be recommending....... <sigh>

I glanced through the thread and it seems everyone's week this week is looking a little brighter. I hope you all rub off on me!

Take care,
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Not much on my to do list today....

I really need to give my dog a haircut. I've been putting it off and she really looks like she needs it now.

Still need to add potting soil to my indoor plants....

Need to do some checkbook work too, it's payday again.

Ellen, good luck with your FIL coming home. When my Dad had his heart surgery I was living in the Middle East and they didn't want me to come home for it. I'm pretty sure he was a stinker too though.

Glad you made it to your hubby's appt...I'm sure it helped to have you there. Now enjoy your nice LONG nap!!

Lenore, we don't add burdens here, we share them...bless your heart. Feel free to discuss what's going on in your life as most of us do here.

Anne Theresa, hope you enjoyed your night out with your friend.

Terri, Linda, Grey, everything going ok with you ladies?

Hugs all,

13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Sorry I haven't been around lately- it has been soooo busy. But I'm looking forward to some time off next week....we will have our spring break, and I'm anxious for some down time.

It's getting more springlike here- I have tulips, iris and rhubarb coming back. I need to get out and plant some bulbs that should have been planted last fall....maybe I'll be able to do that soon.

Linda- I am also jealous that you are already able to pot flowers.....what kinds do you grow? I'm partial to pansies. I always buy lots of those. I think they are so cheerful.

I think my son needs to quit his new is horrible for his allergies. He is working with hay, which really gets to him. I was hoping we could stave off the allergies with a good mask and some Zyrtec, but nothing is making him feel better except to be away from that place. Hopefully something else will turn up soon. It isn't worth sacrificing his health.

Good to hear from you all-

p.s. A quick note- now it's snowing.......rats.[This Message was Edited on 03/13/2008]
  14. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends,

I went to a doctor's appointment this morning, and then met sweetie (who has the day off from work and was downtown getting his hair cut) for breakfast.

After breakfast (neither of us could remember the last time we ate a meal a restaurant, it was nice for a change), we browsed in a few stores - including a new gourmet grocery store, lovely - then took a cab home.
    It was a good morning.

Ellen, my heart goes out to your mother-in-law who will surely have her hands full for the next while.

I remember when hospitals used to keep post-op patients for several weeks, giving people the opportunity for at least partial recovery & rehab, before being sent home. Everything is much different now. I'll say a special prayer for you MIL with all that lies ahead.

With all you've been through lately, be sure to take care of you!

I hope you were able to fix your sewing machine Nancy.
    You must be somewhat mechanically inclined, I wouldn't know where to start,,,

Does your dog enjoy getting his hair-cut?

Lenore, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time. Please know you're always welcome to share whatever is on your mind with us on this thread.

For me, making a daily to-do list is a means to stay grounded and it usually takes some sharing before I can even formulate what needs to be done or what I'm able to do in any given day. That's why my posts are usually so long & rambling.

I'm glad you've ventured out of your cave, even a peek out the door is a step in the right direction. Hang in there, be gentle with yourself and just do the best you can with your to-do list. BTW, the best way to ensure you'll have time for a nice hot bath is to put it on the top of your to-do list! Make yourself a priority!

Oh Terri, I'd give anything to see a tulip right about now. The snow-banks on my front yard stand taller than I do and, at this point, I can barely remember the colour of grass.

I'm sorry your son's allergies are in the way of his new job but you're right to say the job is not worth sacrificing his health, Hopefully, something more suitable will come his way. I hope you have some me-time planned during the upcoming break.

make bed, change bedding
    sweep/vacuum floors
    put away laundry
    water houseplants
    make muffins
    meal planning, grocery list
    grocery shopping with sweetie this evening (if I have enough energy or manage a nap)
    read, watch TV

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

15. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Good afternoon ladies,

I had a horrible insomniac night and didn't go to sleep until after 4 am, so my day started much later (and more tiring) than I had hoped.

Nancy and Theresa, thanks so much for your kind words. I'm awfully overwhelmed with the FM dx (gee, is THAT why I have been in so much more pain since November?). I also have "Rotator cuff impingement syndrome" (also found out Monday) and started PT yesterday. Geez, it hurts!!!!

Ellen, I hope things with your in laws have smoothed out a bit. It must be so hard for you to have to work/keep a home/support your hubby and emotionally support the extended family, and keep yourself going too. Do as I say and not as I do: Take time for YOU this week! <smile>

Terri, I hope your son can resolve his allergy problems until he can find a more suitable position. I don't suppose nasal spray will help?

Anne Theresa, I hope your dr appointment went well for you!

My to do list today:
    Still gotta go through that mail.........
    It's my son's 16th birthday so for "special time" we are going shopping just the two of us for the presents he asked for (CDs, video games and band T shirts)
    Take time for that Epsom Salt bath!

I'm divorced and split time with the kids (I have three) with my ex. He is going out of town and I will have them all starting tomorrow for almost two weeks straight, which is very unusual, so I am trying to save up on my strength to do all the things I need to do for them for two weeks without a break. Startng tomorrow, things will be very hectic for a while!

Have a great day all,
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

I did good yesterday and managed to get my dog's hair cut and the potting soil added to the plants.

Although this may not sound like much, with my eating schedule and the severe hypoglycemia, I have a very short window in between meals to get things done when I feel decent.

This goes on all day, every day with only about an hour and 20 minutes that I feel decent in between, if I'm lucky.

The sewing machine is also running well again, not sure if I fixed it or if just the good cleaning I gave it was enough.

Not sure if the dog likes the haircuts, but since she's a Maltese, she's used to the grooming and I've been doing it myself for years.

Not sure if my daughter is coming in today or not, she had a panic attack yesterday, but she stayed safe and that's important. She's on a new med to help her sleep and it may be interfering with her wellness, we're keeping an eye on it.

So today's fairly free for me, not sure what's going on....

Terri, I hope your son can find a job that suits his needs and doesn't make him worse, I know how that goes.

Lenore, I guess it's going to be a very busy few weeks for you. Rest and take care of yourself too.

Hugs all,

17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Lenore- I hadn't remembered nasal spray until yesterday. He tried it and I think it helped.....thanks for the suggestion!

Nancy- thanks for thinking about my son. He's relieved to be out of the hay business, but today he'll have to start looking again. I think jobs are starting to open up again, so hopefully he'll find something.

Ellen- I'll say a prayer for your in-laws. I hope things will go better for them now.

Anne Theresa- You've had quite a winter! My MIL is in Iowa, and she has had snow and ice since she left us in January. It's unusual for them to have so much winter. She has only driven once- friends and relatives are able to take her out when she needs to go.

To do:
    Supervise bathroom cleaning (the boys do it!)
    Windows??? Mine need cleaning.....
    Watch a movie

Have a good weekend everyone!
  18. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Nancy, I can surely relate to those small windows of relative wellness and having to plan the day's activities and tasks accordingly. It's amazing the organizational skills that come into play when you try to have a productive day in spite of the ups and downs of chronic illness. I hope you have a good day today.

Lenore, I'm sorry you had a bad night. Getting a good night's sleep is my number one priority, because I know how terrible I feel otherwise. I hope you can get some rest today in preparation for your upcoming time with your children. I'm sure you love having them with you but the struggles of being a single-parent can be very apparent, so be sure to take good care of yourself throughout.

Thanks for asking about my doctor's appointment. It went well. This doctor is a g.p. (I see him monthly) and he's very good. I've only been seeing him for about 6 months - he's new to the clinic and replaced my previous doctor) so we're still getting to know each other.

Like you, I'm balancing several chronic illnesses (FMS/ME, diabetes, thyroid issues, high blood pressure & cholesterol, tachycardia, clinical depression and issues related to menopause ) so I typically present a fairly complex set of symptoms and concerns. So far, this new doctor has taken it all in stride and has been very thorough, respectful and approachable. I appreciate his care.

I hope you have a good day today and enjoy the upcoming shopping trip with your son for his birthday.

Speaking of birthdays, my own is fast approaching - this is the big five-oh - and I'm set to celebrate next weekend with my family. We'll be staying at an indoor resort (my sweetie & self, my two sons and daughter-in-law) where we'll be seeing a dinner/theatre production of Beauty and the Beast. I'm so excited, I could burst :)

To-Do Today

As is usual, I have a few tasks left over from yesterday's list to do today. Also

phone laboratory to sort out reports
    make supportive phone call to sweetie's aunt who is unwell
    organize kitchen cupboards
    install software for new camera (yay! I finally bought one) and learn how to take pictures
    fish & rice for dinner
    make (crock-pot) soup for weekend
    read and rest

Wishing everyone a good day and a fabulous weekend!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

19. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi Ladies,

I had this LONG post typed to all of you and lost it looking at Terri's profile. Oh well, it was catharic for me and when I'm feeling better I'll tell you all more about me and why I am so stressed at this particular time. So briefly, as I've used up most of my energy,

Anne Theresa, I had a GREAT time shopping with my son for his birthday yeaterday. I wrote all this stuff on how we were similar, but it will save for another time. Your birthday plans sound so exciting I could bust with you!

Terri, I'm glad the nasal spray is working. I looked to see how old your boy was, and saw you homeschool. THAT must be a challenge at his age-- good for you to do it for him!

Nancy, if there's no rest for the wicked, I must be very wicked indeed! But, I will do my best to take your advice and try to rest whenever I can over the next two weeks.

Everyone else, have an awesome weekend!

My left to do list for today:
    pick up the kids
    finish going through mail (yes, still.....)
    make a few dr appts
    make appt to take my car in
    get younger son to basketball paractice
    pick up younger son and take everyone out for older son's birthday dinner (they were with their dad yesterday)
    Yes Nancy, rest! (gosh I so appreciate all of you! <hugs>)

I hope you all have a terrific time this weekend, whatever ya'all do!

20. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm at the library checking in with my internet friends! I took your advice, Anne Theresa, and took yesterday off from work. Actually my flare-up got worse and I really needed the day off. I feel kind of guilty taking two days off in a row, but I guess I really do need it. So I have four days off and keep telling myself not to feel guilty. Plus, I have lots of sick and vacation time.

We stopped and saw my in-laws today. It's the first time I've seen them since my FIL got home. My FIL had a hard time getting off the toilet so my husband had to get one of those things to raise the seat and installed that. Plus, my MIL got some handles for the bathtub and my husband installed those today as well.

I took a get-well card and flowers from us and a card from my brother, Jim, to my FIL and he was pleased with that.

Actually, I am happy to say that my FIL's mood has improved. He's been able to go to McDonald's and sit with some of his McDonald's buddies for a short while and people have been coming over for short visits. So for the moment, so far so good.

Once we get my FIL settled, my MIL needs to start looking after herself. I think I told all of you that she was recently diagnosed with osteoporous and diabetes, but so far hasn't done anything about it since it happened just before the surgery.

I am doing better today, except for my lower back and left hip. Very achy. I might try to walk on the treadmill this evening. I get weighed at the FMS doctor's on Monday. I hope I've lost more weight, but I'm thinking that I've lost less than last month.

Lenore: I'm so sorry for your FMS diagnose. Welcome to our club. Don't worry about overwhelming us. Be free to say anything you want on here. We are always here for you. I know how I felt when I was diagnosed. I felt really overwhelmed and angry, too. I remember my doctor telling me to hit a pillow and also recommended throwing socks around to help me get out some of my anger. Yes, I do have a lot going on in my life with work, family, my brother. Sounds you do, too with having three children. I hope the next two weeks goes okay with you.

Oops-the computer is going to go off soon. I will have to re-boot it.