Toenail Fungus and Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Mar 29, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

This question may seem silly, but I was wondering whether anybody else on this board has had a problem with nail fungus--and whether that might be in any way related to fibromyalgia.

I have had a very bad case of toenail fungus in both of my big toes for years. It's been so bad that I can't wear some of my shoes because the top presses down on the thickened nails, and it hurts. I have been unable to get help for the nail fungus problem through Kaiser (my health plan) and, in fact, wound up with a horrendous infection in my feet when I tried to treat it myself. (They stopped a treatment that seamed to be working, but they would remove my toenails!)

I've been very concerned about the possibility that the fungus might spread to my other toenails or, even worse, to my fingernails. But that hasn't happened--and according to a wonderful pedicurist I started seeing (following a suggestion from several doctors), I don't really have to worry about the fungus spreading externally. In fact, today the pedicurist told me she thinks the fungus in my toenails is coming from inside my body--that it's systemic, not external!

That made me think of all the things I've read on this board about things like mycoplasma, fungus infections, yeast infections, etc. Could there be some kind of connection between something like a mycoplasma infection and toenail fungus? I know that Lamisil tablets treat fungal infections systemically, and I actually had a prescription for it not long after my fungus problem started. But the Lamisil was very expensive (I have no prescription drug coverage), and it didn't seem to be working. In addition, Lamisil can cause liver damage, and I've already had problems with elevated liver enzymes. So that doesn't seem like an answer for me.

Anyway, here's my question (or more accurately, here are my questions): Could there be a connection betweeen fibromyalgia and toenail fungus, e.g., via a mycoplasma infection? If so, how do I get my doctor to look for the infection and treat it?

--Laura R.M.

2. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

I too have fungus in my big toes. tried the lamisol but theliver thing scared me. I am amazed at how many conditions we have in common.

I wonder what my rheumy would say if I told him about the fungus connection! He already told me that my memory problems are not likely associated with fibro (unless I am consistently not getting enough rest) and he totally nixed the B-12 shot idea! I may have to start looking around for a more enlightened rheumy.

It will be interesting to see how may more of have the fungus among us! LOL
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

the toenail fungus thing on the majority of my toenails :(
    On top of that I also have piteriosis versicolor (sp) which is a fungal infection of the skin.

Lease
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

me too, left foot, big toe, under the nail, it is icky. I have taken diflucan last summer once a wk for a while and the newer nail does not have it but I have had it for about 4 yrs now.

I ignore it, one of those of the 1000 problems that is way down on my list...........should I move it up on the list???

Too many problems to fix them all.

Pain is my biggest enemy.

Jaci
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks for the extensive--and helpful--response about toenail fungus and candida, Susan. I will ask my doctor about Diflucan! In answer to your question, I'm in the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles.

By the way, although I have plenty of gripes about Kaiser--especially recently--I really do think it's still about the best HMO around--at least in Southern California. I know it's much worse in Texas, though, and even in Southern California, apparently the level of services depends on what area you're in.

Of course, as the entire health-care system becomes more and more driven by cost considerations, the benefits of the traditional fee-for-service system seem to be disappearing, too, as many in the ffs system now use similar cost-containment strategies.

I have worked on health-care public policy (and health-care reform) for many years, primarily from the perspective of people with disabilities and chronic health problems. (If anybody's interested, you can read some of what I've written about this at my personal web site. I know I can't include the URL here, but I think I included it in my profile.) So as aggravated as I get over my personal problems with Kaiser, I also see things in a larger context.

I think many of the problems that I and others have with Kaiser are the result of cherry-picking by what I call "bad HMOs"--HMOs that simply avoid high-risk patients (through a variety of strategies, some of which are very subtle and sneaky) and leave HMOs with better reputations (like Kaiser) to enroll sicker patients and to provide them with the more expensive care they need.

Unfortunately, that attracts even more more high-cost patients to Kaiser while allowing the bad HMOs to get out of the responsibility of providing adequate care for such patients. And that, in turn, allows the bad HMOs to underbid Kaiser for employer health insurance contracts--thereby creating ever-greater financial pressure on Kaiser to cut costs. And that often means cutting corners in patinet care.

I even came up with a saying for this process, which I call "Mitchell's Corollary": In the absence of a level playing field between competing health plans, the bad plans will drive the good plans out of business (or make the good plans start acting like bad plans).

Depressing, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks again fro the very helpful response about the toenail fungus and candida. I'm glad to know that my suspicions weren't completely off the wall.

--Laura R.M.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use it for bacteria, viruses, and fungi. After starting it, my toenails started growing in healthy and pink. All the fungus is now gone from my nails.

Love, Mikie
  7. bejo

bejo New Member

Hi Laura.Yes I have toenail fungus on both big toes and a little on other toes.I never thought about it maybe being related to fibromyalgia.I've only had it about a year.It came after I had torn the ligament in the bottom of my right foot.I can't see how it would be connected to that,it's just that was when I got it.My Dr.said not to worry about it because the med.for it is expensive.From reading the posts on this subject it doesn't seem to work real well anyway and has a lot of side affects.I'm going to try the peroxide and rubbing alcohol that one of you mentioned.(Sorry I can't remember the name of who said it.)The number of people here who have that problem is interesting. bejo
  8. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Susan or anyone-
    I have toenail fungus on most of my toenails except for the big ones. Is this still a red flag or do doctors look for the big toes to be infected? I have had severe fatigue, muscle aches for 8 months and the doctors are trying to get to the bottom of this. I also have severe menstrual cramping. I am only 22 and just want to be me again.It
    s annoying because I've asked 4 times for a dermatology referal and never get one. I keep wondering if I get rid of this infection-will it make me better? I also have had some slight white blood cell elevation, also wonder if there is any connection. Any help would be so appreciated.

9. isee

isee New Member

Mikie,

Are you saying you have used Diflucan? for toenail fungus? bacteria? viruses? candida?

If so, what dosage?

Also, is Diflucan just an anti-fungal or a general antibiotic or both?

I have seen elsewhere on this board that you say you use doxycycline, an antibiotic, to treat your CFS, and bacterial infections.

I ask because I have had a toenail fungus on every nail of my left foot for 40 years or more. I also have an athlete's foot-type fungus on the rest of the same foot. Nothing on the right, though.

Separate from this (or, maybe not), a dentist told me this week that I have an infection in the root of one my upper molars.

I want to take antibiotic to see if it will reduce the infection, or its effects, before the dentist does a root canal or extraction.

So, I guess I'm wondering if Diflucan is an antibiotic/anti-fungal, whether I can use it to address both problems: root/tooth infection and toenail fungus.

I would appreciate any thoughts you or others might have on
    the use of Diflucan or doxycycline or other antibiotics/anti-fungals for these purposes.

Thanks,

Anna
  10. Tuckspal

Tuckspal New Member

Hi There, Fungal Friends!

I, too, am a fungal incubator! In addition to a chronic case of tinea versicolor, which I have had for years,(and I treat pretty successfully most of the time with Selsun) I have just had a rather severe bout with "athelete's foot", of all things! For me, the condition is very dangerous, because I also have Primary Lymphedema. which means that my entire immune system does not function very well. With lymphedema, I am very prone to cellulitis. I treat my feet every night with Lamisil,after washing them carefully and applying cream, but apparently it wasn't enough since I started water therapy at the YMCA recently. I couldn't believe how quickly it spread! On Wednesday, it went from a minor, annoying itch on my toes, to a major infection, blistering, with a rash up my entire inside thigh and a fever. I ended up on a week of bedrest with my leg up in the air, dressing changes 4 times a day with silvadene (since it had blistered, I treated it like I would a burn) I also went on Dicloxicillin and Diflucan. Fortunately I have a doctor who trusts my judgement, since I am a RN and he usually gives me whatever I ask him for, if it's reasonable. I am happy to report that I am almost "back on my feet" and it has healed up pretty well.

One of the things my brother has tried for his nail fungus is "Vick's VapoRub".Someone he spoke to told him to apply it several times a day. I guess it is the camphor. Due to the lymphedema, I haven't tried this treatment myself, though. Good luck, Sharon,RN
  11. Tuckspal

Tuckspal New Member

Have you been diagnosed/treated for endometriosis? Many FMers have endo; often as a pre-existing condition.That might explain the severe cramping. What does your GYN think? With the slight elevation in the white count, they should be looking at a differential smear to determine which of the 5 types of white cells are elevated. That will often give them a clue as to what kind and where an infection is. Are you running a low grade fever? You may have one of those "low-grade" infections rhat many of us with FM/CFS get.Feel better, Sharon, RN
  12. Tuckspal

Tuckspal New Member

Hi Anna:

Diflucan is a powerful anti-fungal and is often used as a systemic solution to various fungi and yeast infections, especially when the topical creams, sprays and stuff aren't quite doing the job. Some fungal conditions, especially those on the skin, can lead to bacterial infections as well, so something like doxycycline might be added to the Diflucan. Due to it's hepatotoxicity (potential for liver problems) Diflucan is usually only given for a 10 day run. However, I asked my doc for a refill after the 10 days, because there is still some residual athelete's foot)Incidentally, athelete's foot is not generally what Diflucan is used for, but I reasoned (correctly, apparently! <G>)that since athelete's foot was a fungus, it would work for that. Hope that helps! Sharon, RN
  13. KayL

KayL New Member

What is fluconazole?
    • Fluconazole is an antifungal medication. It is like an antibiotic but is used to treat fungal infections.
    • Fluconazole is used to treat yeast infections of the mouth, throat, and esophagus; vaginal yeast infections; fungal urinary tract infections; pneumonia caused by yeast; and fungal infections throughout the whole body and in the blood. Fluconazole is also used to prevent fungal infections from occurring in people with suppressed immune systems such as cancer chemotherapy patients, organ transplant patients, and AIDS patients.
    • Fluconazole may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

I got this info from rxlist.

Karen
  14. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

What is your "zapper"?

--Laura R.M.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A zapper is a little battery-operated electronic gizmo which emits a low-frequency/low-voltage current which produces a square frequency wave not found in nature. This is the destructive frequency range for bacteria, viruses, flukes, worms, and fungi. I did my usual research before buying my unit from the Hulda Clark website. I paid $149.99 for it and it is a very well made unit. It's made in Germany.

There is a sound scientific basis in physics for how this works. It has not been certified by the FDA for medical use, but it is safe to use. I figured that if it didn't work, all I would be out is the money. BTW there are cheaper units available and at the Clark website, they give instructions on how to build one's own unit, but I don't recommend it.

I know the unit works because if I get a cold starting, I get right on it and the cold never develops. My toenail fungus, as I mentioned above, went away after I started using it; I could see a line across my nails where they were growing in with healthy tissue. When I used the until to excess, I had Herxheimer reactions to its killing off wee beasties.

You can do a search and find my old posts on this and you can do a web search and read about zappers. I know they sound like snake oil and the HealthWatch website pooh poohs them, but hey, you can't argue with results.

Love, Mikie
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

but wanted to add.A good friend of mine has used the Vicks vaporrub each night before bed.After 3 weeks his toenail is looking 80% better!! I guess the stuff really works(where other more expensive stuff has failed)I'd give it a try.
  17. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I swear between everyone here we know EVERYTHING!

I will talk to madwolf at my appt next fri about the diflucan, I will give it a go, tell me tho please what is the protocol for the treatmanet?

I was taking the diflucan before once 200mg every week.

How much and for how long shold I ask for?

Jaci
  18. Tuckspal

Tuckspal New Member

Jaci~

For the athelete's foot, it is taken as one 200 mg. tablet once a day for 10 days. I asked for 2 refills, so I would have some on hand, Take care, Sharon, RN
  19. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Hi guys,
    I am also a sufferer of the dreaded toenail fungus and have CFS.
    I found this while surfing for an answer to the toenail fungus problem.
    I must be honest and say that I havn't tried it yet (just getting dressed finishes me off - I need get this slotted into my routine).

"If an individual with onychomycosis (toenail fungus) will fill a dropper bottle with the cheapest distilled vinegar from the grocery store (do not use good vinegar that has not been distilled) and put 2 drops of the vinegar at the growing base of the affected nail every night and morning, within a few months, normal nail will begin to show at the base of the nail.
    Remember, the normal nail will have to grow the infected nail off the body. If the treatment is missed, for even one dose, the nail that grew that day may not be resistant to the fungus and the fungus can jump from the infected nail that is still present into the healthy (but not resistant) nail. If that happens, infected nail will be seen at the base in a few months (when it has grown out enough to be seen) and the treatment will have to be continued until THAT infected nail tissue is grown off the body. In essence, the treatment time would have to be started anew."

I hope it helps someone...and if I ever use it, I will post back results.
    hugs
    Mary xx
  20. JLH

JLH New Member

Another post mentioned the Vicks VapoRub treatment for nail fungus. There is a doctor's column in our local newspaper that has had tons of articles in it about how great the Vicks VapoRub treatment is on nail fungus. He states that he does not know how or why it works, but it just does. You put the Vicks on our nails twice a day. Some people writing in to this column state that it may take up to 3 months to clear the fungus up, but that it definitely works. And .... this is an inexpensive cure!