Told Family about Husband Joining the Marines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aka1977, Jul 8, 2006.

1. aka1977

aka1977 New Member

Hey All,

Thought I woudl post and update you all on our situation. Well my dh went and took the ASVAB test he did really well. We went and talked to the recruiter yesterday, and he qualifies for just about any job in the Marines.
    Next Thursday he goes for his MEPS physical, and if all goes well he will more than likely enlist.

Well I thought now would be a good time to tell my family (mom & borhter), haven't told sister yet, dad deceased in 2000. Well it didn't go well. My fanily has never been positive about any decisions I have ever made in my life, I don't know why I was hoping for this time to be any different. Well my mom is a control freak, sha wants to run everybody's lives. She freaked out, and was like is he F-----g crazy, he's going to go to Iraq, you don't make no money in the military, and what about you (meaning me), well I know she meant what about her because she wouldn't know how ot handle me not being there to listen to her all the time SHES NEGATIVE!!!!

So then she was like I don't want to F-----g talk about it and she hung up the phone. So then I told my brother, and he was like well don't you think thats a bit extreme. Well no not really when my husband has worked in a block plant ever since the week after high school, were on our secind layoff in 1 year, and the only other option he has is to drive Truck, which he wants more out of life, (no offense to truck drivers his dad is one.)

My husband has wanted to be a Marine since before he got out of High School, and I held him back. I don't want to do that this time. Anyway we also have alot to get acomplished before he would leave were going to sell our home (because whether or not he makes it we don't like were we live). And I found an apartment where I can have my rottweiler, as long as I have a doctors note which says I need him for emotional support (go to see her on Monday hoping for the best.)

Sorry do long but I needed someone to talk to besides my dh, I know I should come to accept that my family will probally never change, but I feel really hurt.

Thanks for listening, Any thoughts?
    Amy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but they are always at war...

anways, i personally wouldn't sell the home if at all possible...maybe you could refinance w/va loan....

i do not know what part of the country you live in...
    maybe you could rent it out....but after boot camp he may need to go to another school to specialize in something...that could be months as well...

i had to stay at families homes during these times....because they did not pack in his sea bag......

well if you tell him not to go w/his heart he may resent you for not letting him go into the marines...

tell him to follow his heart and god bless him...he is trying to be a good man and provide for his family...

it will be no picnic in the park for you...but you will adjust and there are always counselors and us here to talke to you

jodie
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so happy for you both that your husband has made his decision and it's something he's always wanted to do. I'm glad it's also something that you support.

I'm sorry your family wasn't more supportive, that's one thing I'll always thank mine for. Once I (or we) made a decision, they were right there behind us and there for us when we needed it.

It sounds to me like you've thought of everything and I wish you both all the best.

Keep us updated!!

Hugs,

Nancy B.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Listen, this is your husband's life. He may want to consider officer training also, if he did so well on the tests.

I think your mom sounds as if she is loud and opinionated and foul mouthed as well, so I weould stand by your man here. There are lots of benefits as Dancn says, for military wives.

Gosh, since when did offering to serve one's country be a bad thing? There is a lot more to serving than the Iraq situation-it is only a small part of what our service men and women do, it just gets all the press of course.

However, I have to agree that the Navy does have a lot more benefits including great 4 year degrees that can lead to all sorts of goodies. Would he be interested in that then trying for Navy Seal???

Good luck,

and thank your DH for being so brave and committed.(and tell your mom this is from someone who is a pacifist!!!)

Love Anne Cromwell
  5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

My son served in the Marines from '95 to '99. It was the best thing that ever happened to him!

Hard? Yes. As his Mom I was very anxious to see him going to boot camp, and then who knew where. The LORD got him thru it all, and I must say he's a better man for having been a Marine.

He's always had drive and ambition, but lacked the discipline and perserverence, I guess. Even now, years later, he has Marine written all over him. -- He's never worn the uniform on his 'down' time, even when he was on active duty; it's more character than anything else. He's learned many skills and is now a policeman attending university working toward a degree (thanks to the GI benefits).

I'll pray for your dh's safety, but if you want my thoughts, I think he's making the best possible choice he could make.

mar
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think he should check all branches out to. If you were buying a new car ya'd check out more then one. Make sure he gets in writing what job they have for him before he signs anything.

They can promise anything and then say there is no openings. Make sure its in writing.

I'm an Army wife for 33 years and I love all branches .If my son was to join Id want him in the AF. Because of all the things people have already said.

We are very proud of people like you and your husband . Give your family sometime. I have never seen a mother that was not beaming when her son marched by in uniform. When he Grads from Basic you and your family can go to watch at Graduation.A very Proud moment.

There is a lot of opportunity for him take advantage of the education. Prepare for life after the service someday. My husband will complete his Doctorate this year. He's going to teach at a college.

And be PROUD of your husband and of yourself, you will be serving this country also.

Be sure to let us all know whats up, with you all .Hey I know lots of people in all branches of service if ya need to know about anything or places I might be able to help you.

The best thing I can tell you right now is to work very hard on your marriage while you are together. It isn't easy ,when you are apart ,but you can make it. Just pay attention to your emotional needs yours and his. And be sure He understands that to before he goes to basic.
    God bless you both and Thank You!