Told my doc a few things in a letter, must have worked

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Jun 17, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I went to my doctor today after having written him a 5 page letter 2 weeks ago. I wrote that letter as I needed a lot of help and I wanted my 2 cents in about the 2 accidents that could have taken my life, neither my fault. You know how you jus don't have time to talk about everything when you have an appointment.

I wanted to review my pain meds, a jury excuse (yes I got called for July) wish they would leave me alone up here, and I wanted a handi-cap placard and sticker for ut car, walking so far is becoming so hard.

I told him a lot in that letter and was asking a lot. I even told him making me go to jury duty was only going to cost me jail time and money for fines when I couldn't go.

I also wanted to start allergy shots my allergies are just unstoppable even on Singulair, prescritions eye drops and nasal spray.

I told him I had filed my disability and wanted him to stand behind me.

He had my letter in hand when I went in. Boy that made me nervous off the bat. Then he said you have put a lot in this letter and I think most of this IS workable. Whoo-hoo.!!

I got my jury excuse on a prescription pad, my papers for my handi-cap placard and he put me on Morphine extended release tabs with my Percocet I already have for break through pain.

Yes, he will stand behind my disability as much as he can for what he is and has treated me for the past 3 years.

I also got a 3 month allergy shot.

I think I came out of this pretty well. Don't you?
  2. landra

landra New Member

I had not thought of a letter to my doctor! Lists, etc. but not a letter!!

Congratulations. Sounds like you really got him on your team!
  3. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Wow! It sounds like the letter truly helped you. Good for you. Wish I would have thought about this a few years ago with one of my docs.

Fortunately, I now have a great doc that supports me and understands chronic pain. But, I will keep this idea in the back of my head in case I ever need to. Thanks for sharing your story. I love to hear happy stories and yours made my day.

4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

In this day and age when everything is telephone, cell phone, email, text messaging and on and on - who woulda' thunk that a good old fashioned letter would do the trick?

Victory is yours my friend!

5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

When I wrote it I told him that if he needed to charge me a co-pay for his time in reading it then fine.

No, he didn't.

I recommend everyone who feels that they need more time to write before you go.

He had time to read and think about it.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  6. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

This is a great idea, and since doctors are so harried with rushed office visits, your doctor can read and reread your letter to actually "listen" to what you need to say. I'm sure your letter is filed in your chart. This is a great communicator.

I might borrow this idea sometime in the future. Thanks for sharing.

7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

You did great Pat. Ruthie
  8. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

because I couldn't afford to keep going to see them and paying all that money for dr's visits. I did it to keep the drs updated on my condition, to give them information about ME/CFS and FMS, and to have complete medical records for my disability case.

It seems to have helped me; I guess I'll know if the letters hurt or helped when I go to my disability hearing that's scheduled for 6-25-08.

Another reason I wrote letters, too, is because you only get a couple of minutes with the doctor each visit, and I never am able to get my words/feelings/situation across, no matter how many lists and notes I take in. With these diseases, as complex as they are, and with not many doctors knowing that much about them, I felt compelled to write and explain my daily struggles to them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! Maybe I'm not too weird after all! Every time I see my doctors, and they open my file, I see my letters piling up in their folders, and I wonder what they must think of their letter-writing patient:).

Many times in the letters, I mention that it takes me hours to get a letter ready; it literally does. I have to rest a lot when writing, and it's draining and taxing. I hand-write mine because it's more personable, and the couch is much more comfortable than my office chair.

Good to hear of your letter success! It's encouraging! I hope you all have a great night!

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]