Tolerance to pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annabella39, Sep 21, 2005.

1. annabella39

annabella39 New Member

I've been taking Loratabs for many years for my FM pain. I started taking 2 at a time to get any sort of relief but now that doesn't even work. I think I need to try something different but I don't want anything that will weird me out. I used the Durgesic patch several years ago and it was pure hell getting off them and don't want to go there again.

Has anyone built up a tolerance to their meds and if so, what did you do?

anne
  2. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I built up a tolerance and had to pull myself off of them, too, because all I could see was having to have the doctor up the mg/dosage again and again. What a vicious circle.

I believe in the benefits of narcotic medication but I also believe we have to be wise to them and learn how to balance them because when we get older, if we build up too much of a tolerance, what will be left to take?

I'm not a doctor but maybe you could take tramadol along with your lortab. I've used lortab before and it works very well but, I've gotta tell ya, tramadol works REALLY well and for longer. And if you take it with a lortab, you're going to get some great relief.

Also, do you have nerve pain at all? I take Neurontin for this and, though I used to think I would NEVER take 'that' medicine, 'that' medicine has turned out to be a life-saver and it also enhances the pain-relieving qualities of tramadol.

Just a thought. Ask your doctor. It's not an unreasonable consideration.

(((hugs)))

Chin up,

Kim
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.. my sleeping pill has bottomed out on me .. it has been about 3 months since I realized I am so NOT sleeping well at all .. they used to be my majic bullet .. I could tolerate the pain better knowing I was going to get a good night's sleep .. after trying a few things on my own and admitting to denial .. I have an appointment next week to see if I can be changed to another sleep aid ... and yes .. if we build up a resistance early on in the game .. YIKES !