TOMATOES NEED ADVICE re salmonella outbreak

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I AM EITHER STUPID OR SENILE. Just went on the CDC site and it said that Roma tomatoes are Ok to eat as are cherry, on the vine and some others.

On the Nightly News (NBC???) it just said Roma tomatoes are not safe to eat,\

Plus as I already bought tomatoes (no wonder they were so cheap) if I cook them will they be safe to eat?

If anyone has a clue about this can you answer.

TX Annie
  2. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I looked up salmonella an tomatoes, the cdc said cooking tomatoes at 145 for 15 seconds will kill any salmonella.

I would refrain from putting them in a salad. The article also said that 9 people died here in TX from salmonella.

It did say to buy from farmers markets, and to avoid big chain supermarkets.

When you buy tomatoes, make tomato sauce. At least for now.

I will be over for a pasta dinner. lolol My favorite.

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

with cooking. Perhaps be careful not to recontaminate by, say, putting clean tomatoes back into original container.

I would suppose that soaking tomatoes in chlorox (how long? I don't know, maybe a minute) would kill the samonella. Then rinse with soap and water maybe.

Perhaps a cooking technique, I think called blanching, wherein boil tomatoes briefly and then peal skin would work.

I'm pretty sure that having a case of salmonella would give some immunity in future.

Fortunately, salmonella doesn't form hard to kill spores like Clostridium.

Cheers, mr Bill

(Oh, maybe let me know if the techniques don't work:)

Probably a good idea (which I don't always do) is to wash all veggies from store. Never know if someone might have spilled rat poison in wrong places.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, still the news channels are very ambiguous today even-some say Roma Ok some not.

Sorry I will not be making sauce for you Bev, but in the UK we slice and fry tomatoes with bacon and eggs. I don't eat pigs, so we use turkey bacon or soy, then we cook the tomatoes in the same pan, add seasonings and sugar and water and dip it all up with bread.

I will chlorox too.

Bill when I worked picking grapes one summer the workers used to pee in the fields ditto for mushrooms as there was no bathroom-they probably fertilized in other ways too.

Many itinerant farm workers are forced to live in squalid conditions and there is very little law pertaining to washing hands, providing porta loos etc.

They are tomatoes on the vine, so hopefully, bleaching then cooking them will do the trick. Or maybe I will just throw them to the birds.

This has prompted me to try and get our bigger veg garden in, so we KNOW what we are eating. I noticed that all the canned betts were off the shelves in Wallyworld yesterday, and prior to that all the jars of olives in Big Lots. MMMM.

Thanks y'all. Love Annie
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks I was going to actually just use hydrogen peroxide in water to rinse them then re rinse.

I know what you mean about gloves.

The lab tech put on a pair of gloves and her long nails poked thru the ends. Then she used her teeth to pull them up tighter. Then wiped her hair with both hands. Then got the wipe for ther skin in the same gloves, after rubbing her gloved hands over the arm she was going to swipe with the wipe. I said "so you could have done all of that with just your bare hands really? She said oh no the gloves protect you from my germs.

When my bro was in isolation they used to gown and glove and mask up outside his room then open the curtains and touch the bed, bedding etc with the gloved hands. I used to say to them "you would be better waiting till you were ready to touch him prior to gloving or at least reglove then.

You know can anyone recall ANY food borne illnesses prior to the ecoli outbreaks in Seattle? It has been downhill ever since. Plus I do recall some religious sect was deliberately putting salmonella in salad bars in Oregon when we lived there-who is to say this is not some maniac again?

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just said that FL tomatoes are safe to eat. I had already bought one and ate part of it before I heard about the outbreak. It was a beefsteak tomato. Guess it was OK.

Love, Mikie
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

When I looked through literature on live and dead, and oral vacines for salmonella, I realized that it might be possible create a homemade effective vaccine for salmonella and other organisms.

Do feel like I'm in Middle Ages seeking a cure for Plague.

Anyway, a quick boiling of the feces of someone actively infected, and then ingestion of the same, might well create immunity. One drawback is that Clostridium spores would survive one simple boiling so not for the very young or immune compromised. Perhaps a second boiling a day later(after spores sprouted) would kill the Clostridium.

Personally, I'd probably rather take my chances with salmonella than try this prevention method, but this method might come in handy if some disease more fatal than Salmonella shows up in world.
    Mr Bill lol
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  8. pasara

pasara New Member

When you look for tomatoes make sure they do not have cracks, splits or soft spots. That is how bacteria gets in the tomato. Wash intact skins thoroughly under running water.

The tomatoes that are affected come from large industrial farms. It is primarily caused by their use of manure that comes from feed lots and is not properly (read: fully) composted. If you want to eat fresh tomatoes buy from small, local producers.

Cherry tomatoes are the ones they say are not affected. Romas are included in the warnings.

If you are concerned though, the answer is to cook your tomatoes.

I find it interesting that the media reports more on the business aspect of this than on consumer information.
  9. poets

poets Member

I was in a store that sold exclusively meats and cheeses. I looked up at a man slicing ham and he didn't have any gloves on. None of the employees did. He stopped to "scratch his nose," (if you know what I mean.) When I saw that, I practically ran out of there. I've never been back. And to think we used to buy ALL our meat from there. My husband had been getting it. When I told him about it, he didn't go back either.

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

When we lived in WA State, we used to get the pecials from a well known sub shop.

This one day, a guy who was making subs, in his plastic gloves BTW, slipped to the doorway to say bye to his girl friend. We saw him slip his hand right down her butt crease, then he went back to making the subs, same gloves.

We said "Cancel that order" and I never shopped there again.

When we bought the house we now own, it had served as a lodging for several restaurant workers and the place was filthy everywhere, so I guess that was the general standard of hygiene where they worked too.

Many of the bug farming outfits refuse to provide santiary prpvisions for the workers (often migrants)who are forced to use the fields as a bathroom (no fault of theirs).

When we lived in Oregon a religious sect started deliberately placing salmonella in salad bars for some odd reason.

Best to grow your own and cook your own if possible.

Love Annie