Tomorrrow First Day of PT for FM what to Expect?????????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jakeg, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Tomorrow will be my first day of PT. It will be an eval day what should I expect for this first day? I wont be able to take any pain meds until after I get back home.

I don't drive while I'm taking the pain meds on advice from the doc. My pain levels have been pretty bad lately 20 on the scale and the doc has added an additional pain med to the vicodin, oxycodon and this still is not giving me releive. Helpppppp will the PT help in this matter it is so difficult just moving and I don't want to be stuck at the PT office after my visit because of the pain being so bad that I cannot drive.

Jake
  2. MKlady

MKlady New Member

I was prescribed PT for my fibro - the first appointment was mostly evaluation with some moist heat and TENS on my shoulders and neck.

My prescription was for water exercise, moist heat and TENS on my neck and shoulders, plus traction for neck and shoulders. This was before finding the FFC and getting the chronic fatigue diagnosis. I quit PT because it was too tiring...

Hope that helps,

Mary
  3. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I don't know anything about PT helping FM. The rheumy who diagnosed me with FM 14 months ago prescribed it but I was too afraid to try it because I was in such pain. (The rheumy turned out to be a real a$$ and I only saw him twice anyway!) My new doc, a neurologist, has now prescribed a type of PT called "myotherapy" instead of "physical therapy". Supposedly these "myotherapists" specialize in dealing with FM as opposed to PT's who are helping someone rehabilitate from an injury. My first appointment is Thursday so I can completely relate to your fear and concern. I'm not as bad off right now though, and I'm so sorry that you're in such pain right now.

So anyway, no answers for you ... just wanted to give you some support! Please let us know how it goes for you tomorrow.

Kat
  4. Flaming

Flaming New Member

Jake, if the therapist is familiar with fibro and works on fibro patients you will be fine. I go once a week- he works on neck and back. Usually back is in pain because the muscles/fibro have pulled it out of align. I leave feeling a lot better.
    Expect the eval - maybe some heat or ice, H-wave or tens. They also might talk to you about some mild exercises to do there and at home.
    I've also heard my PT advise people to take their meds before coming - maybe you should and have someone drive you. It's not a good thing to go for therapy in excruciating pain. Hope this helps.
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

So far so good. She just went over what all my symtoms have been and a little of streching of my leg muscles and a couple of exercises I can do at home until this thursday when I go back. She seems to be very knowledgeable about fibro. As she was doing the leg strechs we were talking about uaqua therapy and she is currently trying to find a place that has a pool that they can use for this purpose.

On thursday when I go back she said I would be on the bike for a little so that she can see where my endurance level is at before I have to stop. She also wants me to stop before I start feeling any pain so as not to start a flare.

Thanks to all that replied.

Jake
  6. meowee

meowee New Member

Good Luck at PT. My personal observation was it helped me AS I WAS HAVING IT. As soon as I stopped I reverted back to how I was before.

Good luck. I hope you have better results.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

One Pt I have is great, just massages and stretches my neck. Other, not so good. In the end I just do my own at home.

Good luck hope it works

Anne