Tongue changes to predict health?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Nov 11, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Has anyone else seen changes on their tongues that go along with how they are feeling?

I have noticed a strange pattern on the sides of my tongue. If I feel really crummy, I see the sides of my tongue have a striped pattern. The stripes can be slightly diagonal or horizontal. They can even be slightly indented. They are kind of thick stripes, about the size of a fingerprint.

I find I can use this as a predictor of whether I am about to go into a flare. If I see my tongue has this pattern, I slow down and take better care of myself. I make sure I get to bed early and I don’t eat anything that would set me off. No “wiggle room” when I see the striped tongue.

I can also use it to see if I am getting better. The stripes get less pronounced if I am going the right direction.

I also notice the typical white coated tongue on occasion. I usually look at this as a sign of Candida. I think taking probiotics is helping this, as well as cutting down on sugar.

Anyone else experience this tongue phenomenon?

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
  2. zoose

zoose New Member

Tongue condition is an old technique used for diagnostics. It is still used in western medicine for certain conditions. I believe it is used more in eastern medicine but I could be wrong.

I am not sure about probiotics. I do know that taking antibiotics will cause a yeast infection, candida. The best thing to fight candida is eating yogurt with active cultures in it. This restores the good bacteria into the system. (is this what a probiotic is?)

I will have to start paying attention to my tongue and see if I get striping before a flare. That is very useful information!!

Thanks,
    zoose
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Yes, lactobacillus is the probiotic found in yogurt. You can also take probiotics capsules. They contain several different strains of good bacteria. They will help repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria. There is lots of info on this board about probiotics. Good stuff!

I did a google on tongue diagnosis and you are right, it is heavily used in Eastern medicine. Many acupuncturists and alternative medicine folk also use it.

It seems like the sides of the tongue where I am seeing changes are indicative of liver and gallbladder issues. Hmmm.

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Very interesting info! Thanks for sharing!!
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

my tongue has teeth indentions all around it. Took me years before a doc told me what it was..Not sure why it is that way,maybe my tongue is swollen or something? They say tongues tell a lot about our health.

I heard that having a crease in the center can be related to viruses..I have that too.
  6. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I'm so glad that you have posted this topic! I've noticed so many changes in the last year or two...mentioned them to my MD's, but without much pause. One of my primary changes is burning of the tongue. It feels as though It has been scalded with a hot liquid, but of course it has not. Then it is very, very sensitive to most anything I put into my mouth. Next, come the cold sores. Usually this signals increased fibro pain and fatigue...Which also occurs following increased stress. Amazing! I have felt that there must be a link, but thus far, have not found the answers. Again, SO glad that others are talking about the topic. Where is the best site anyone has found on the web for researching the changes, and/or linking them to health issues?
    Sorry that anyone else has to experience tongue pain, but comforting to have someone else understand.
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

I keep biting mine when I sleep -- waking up in pain and with a mouth full of blood.

My husband has indentations on the side of his tongue. That happens if your tongue is a bit too big for your mouth. There is a medical term -- macroglossia -- that means, basically, "big tongue".

One of the disorders that can be indicated when the tongue is large is hypothyroid. I have absolutely no idea why!