tonsilectomy for chronic fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by denisegidget, Jul 7, 2003.

1. denisegidget

denisegidget New Member

hi - i was hoping someone could help me

i have been suffering from chronic fatigue for the past year or so

it has been suggested that i get my tonsils out - i have heard stories of this making people worse

has anybody found doing this helpful?

thankyou
    from Denise
  2. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Have they suggested taking your tonsils out for Chronic Fatigue or Sleep Apnea? The reason I ask is because I had a sleep study done and I have severe sleep apnea and one of the suggestions was to remove the fatty tissue from around my uvula or remove the tonsils. They claimed neither of those options offered me guarantees like a CPAP machine may.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When she was 21. She hemmorhaged 7 times following the surgery over the next couple of weeks. We had to keep running to the ER. She had a horrible time. I know that her constant tonsilitis was not good for her either, but the surgery was horrible. Seems she had very large and inflammed roots to her tonsils.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but just to let y'all know that a tonsilectomy as an adult can be very difficult.

Love, Mikie
  4. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Have CFS/FM now. I did quit getting some bacterial illness afterwards like pneumonia and strep. But, I don't quite see how it would help CFS. JMHO
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

when I was 17-1/2 I joined the Air Force. When I went to Biloxi Mississippi, I had tonsillitis about 5 times in 2 months (or something like that--I know it was a lot). They didn't want to take my tonsils out because they said it's part of the immune system. I hadn't had tonsillitis before or since.
  6. Missnae1

Missnae1 New Member

....takes a long time to recover and sent me into a MAJOR flare up. It may be too early to tell, but I'm not noticably better. Was hoping it would really help, still have swollen glands, etc.
  7. enchant5509

enchant5509 New Member

Hi there,
    I have been suffering from fatigue for years and also have problems with my tonsils. It seems when my fatigue is at its worse, my tonsils are bothering me. ENT recently suggested surgery but I've heard nightmare stories about recupperation and don't want to risk getting worse. Do you get "tonsil stones"? I would love to see any information you have.
    Thanks
  8. smoke

smoke New Member

Hi
    I was 41 when I had a UPPP (this is the tonsils and other fatty tissues around the tonsils) for severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)in Nov 02. It helped some on the OSA but it did not help the Chronic Fatigue or the Fibromyalgia. I was told I probably would not have sore throats anymore and I have not went through a bad winter yet so I really do not know. They did not say anything about whether it would help the FMS or CFS, only the OSA.

Smoke
  9. KayL

KayL New Member

this thread interests me a lot. First of all, have you been sick a lot with tonsilitis/throat infections? Is that why tonsilectomy has been suggested?

The reason I ask is that my 18 y/o daughter gets tonsilitis 2-3 times a year. She's been sick most of this year, basically just *not feeling well* and no energy, very tired. She was exposed to (and had, as it later turned out) mono in Jan. and blood tests 2 months ago showed a prior EBV. She was just retested last week and it showed the same. Last week she had tonsilitis so bad, and the Dr. waited 4 days to put her on an antibiotic - well, by then her throat was so swollen she couldn't swallow her own saliva, much less a pill, so we spent all of Thursday night into Friday morning in the ER. She is so tired these days, wants her tonsils out, and I'm really anxious about what she might end up going through with the surgery.

I do know that once you are past childhood, this surgery is more difficult to recover from.

So, like you, I'm interested in all replies here.

Karen
  10. Goodday

Goodday New Member

Hi, I have had tonsillitis every winter times 10 years growing up. Had so much penicillin I am now allergic to it. Anyway, I started Naltrexone April 3. It boosts the immune system. Wow, has my tonsils been active!! All kinds of dead bacteria come out from them; how gross but true. My swollen tonsils are now clearing up. My bad breath is better too now. All my teeth are cavity free from seeing the dentist last year and have white fillings not metal. Feeling better these days. Have a goodday.