Too disabled for Full time, but probably not part time..BUT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

How am I going to live on Part Time and also get benefits?

I am such a mess since I lost my job even though deep down I know I couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't. The hours were brutal with a 430am alarm clock.
    Doing that with FM is miserable.

I am so beat all the time. I just don't even know what to do now job wise.

Life is no fun with this pain all the time...scary.

Has anyone found a happy medium?
  2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Welll you have to get ssi first than after a while try to work part time.Hubby had no idea you can work part time os disability.It has helped us with money,Ruthie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

check it out...

jodie
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i found that i can work four evening shifts a week. by doing evenings it accomidates my insomnia. and with only four a week i get an extra day off to sleep.
    rachel
  5. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Are you moving here? I have the most awesome dr. I just found. I LOVE HIM, he's the greatest.

Let me know,
    Star
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I really don't know how anyone with fibr or CFS can work full time or part time for that matter

I can't work and I can barely keep up with my work at home

The only thing I can think of that might help is some "work from home" business, so if you are having a bad day, you can lay down when you need to

Good luck
  7. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Most don't want to go the SS route.
  8. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

one possibility is to start with a counselor (psychologist/ psychiatrist).

I saw 2 psychologists on my journey through the S.S. application maze. They both strongly believed in my testimony that I could not sustain a full-time job. One of these counselor's was a pcychologist hired by S.S.! The other one was a part of a low-cost clinic (I had very little $$), and she was very sympathetic, and also helped steer me towards doctors that were helpful.

One thing I did not emphasize (with ANYONE)...was the word fibromyalgia. That was my personal decision, but I think you'd have to judge it by kind of "testing the waters" first. I did eventually throw out the FM word to my psychologist, she was very interested but unaware. I emphasized my specific issues and hindrances. In my case,that was disabling insomnia that has prevented me from working full-time for most of my life.

Anyway, I think a sympathetic ear can mean a lot; both for your current anxieties and probably for your disability claim.

BEST to you, Sleepy
    P.S. I did end up getting my disability, but it was a long wait. You probably have more medical records than I did when I first applied.
  9. jole

jole Member

Because I am pretty much where you are. I have cut down to part time and need to quit altogether. the stress of working has just gotten to be too much and the pain has intensified drastically the past few months.

But I can't seem to find a doctor to help me with this. They all seem to think that transcription can't be that bad. Well, it is when my neck and shoulder muscles knot up to the extent my left arm goes numb and I can't type. We also do filing and that just kills me. Plus the sitting for hours on end some days.

Can it be done without a doctor saying you cannot work? That is my question also.

Best of luck to you, manwithfibro!!
  10. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I know the feeling; I have always worked full time and now I can't do the work I did for 20 years or so and I am limited on lifting,standing walking,reaching-etc. Plus my concentration level has decreased alot... I feel like I am burned out and worth nothing at times...

My doctor has helped me to try and be retrained so I can maybe do something from home- only part time- I hope I get my SSD- but who knows- anyways, I won't give up.. I start school end of this month- see what this ole dog can do or not do..

Good luck to you- just is not fair.
    Janet