too little salt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Apr 28, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Years ago Dr Anne MacIntyre, a CFS sufferer herself, felt it wise to advise people that they may be eating too little salt.

When going on a healthy diet most of us avoid or drastically cut our intake of salt. Some apparently can take this too far and one of the symptoms of too little salt can be fatigue.

At that time I knew individuals with CFS who felt this applied to them.

Whilst too much salt is bad for us, too little is not good either.

As in so many things in life, and addressing health problems, getting the right balance is the key.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

My system has required lots of salt as long as I can remember. When I was in my early teens my mother took me to a doctor because of it, and he said that ,with my blood pressure, to go ahead and let me have as much as I wanted. He said that he could run a series of expensive tests that would perhaps show that I had some sort of endocrine imbalance. Now, whenever I start to feel light headed, I grab something salty and start munching.
    Kathryn
  3. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i eat hardly any salt and never have done.

i don't eat processed foods nor cook with salt.
    i only add it occasionally.

why do i need it ???

i need to know, but what about blood pressure ?

pinkquartz
  4. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i eat hardly any salt and never have done.

i don't eat processed foods nor cook with salt.
    i only add it occasionally.

why do i need it ???

i need to know, but what about blood pressure ?

pinkquartz
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

If you've always ate little salt and been alright then you have the level right for you.

Minerals can go in pairs. Calcium and magnesium need to be balanced correctly, all too often it is the magnesium that is too low.

Like wise with sodium and potassium, too much sodium causes problems with potassium levels.

I personally do need a fair amount of salt but I have low to normal blood pressure. In the summer when we sweat a lot the body needs more salt.

I lived in the Med for half my childhood and adolescence, there was no doubt there that enough salt was required in hot, particularly humid, weather.

To explain in more detail would be too much for my brain right now but if you are concerned there must be good information somewhere on the WWW.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. skychomper

skychomper Member

I have cfs and normal to low blood pressure too.
    and having a salty snack once a day definitely makes me feel better. I can't say specifically, but it makes me a little more alert, and "alive-feeling"

-sky
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Ditto

That's why I thought it would be a good idea to post this topic.

Like drinking enough water, it's so simple that many people miss the body's needs for basics.

Cheers

Tansy
  8. desperation

desperation New Member

Yep,
    We must eat a lot of salty food or have salt tablets. Drink AS MUCH water as poss and avoid sugary food. This is because our blood flow is slow.

Lu