TOO MANY MEDS???

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by netta, Jun 16, 2003.

1. netta

netta New Member

I have Fibromyalgia and am now taking Celebrex, Flexeril, Neurontin and Immipramine, not to mention over-the-counter meds for headaches, gastric problems and IBS. Also using pain patches, pain sprays and I even wear a magnetic bracelet to supposedly relieve the arm pains. I tried Chiropractic, Physical Therapy and Acupuncture but they did not help the muscle aches. Just started massage therapy last week. Am I alone or is there someone out there who is in the same boat???
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

About the number of medicines you take, and the fact that you are not improved, talk to your doctor that prescribed them! Unless you have arthritus, the Celebrex does not seem to help fibro symptoms. I , of course, don't know why he precribed the other drugs. As for pain, there are a couple schools of thought, but Ultracet has just been approved ( June 12,2003 , if I remember right) as a pain med specifically for Fibromyalgia. You can look it up and ask your doctor about that. As for Chiropracty, PT, or massage therapy, some people find they help, some not. I find that the longer and better I sleep at night, the more managable my days are. My doctor prescribed low dose Elival for sleep, and it seems to be helping. I also take vicoden for pain..I am NOT worried about addiction, as this is a chronic pain situation, and I will likely need long term uses of pain relievers...addictive or not! That is my two cents. I wish you luck.
  3. Sunflower22

Sunflower22 New Member

Hey there ..Elana here, I suffer from FM, but was taken off Celebrex as it was doing more harm than good.
    I do alot of research online and hope that I can always find things to talk to my doc about improve things.
    Want to know more, please email me @ edsunflower22@yahoo.ca
    Hope t o hear from you.
    Elana
  4. severina

severina New Member

I just wanted to reply to this post since I started taking
    Celebrex and Tramadol on Thursday.
    Please let me know what side effects you had with the Celebrex. I know that they are for arthritis but my gp thinks they may help - I have fibro.
    Thanks
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

I don't know about some of your other medicines, but I can tell you from personal experience two of them (Celebrex and Flexeril) did diddly squat for me. I have fibromyalgia and was prescribed Celebrex (why in H**l I don't know since it's an arthritis drug and I don't HAVE arthritis) which I discontinued since it did nothing. So you might probably be able to get rid of that.

I have Flexeril which I take ONCE IN A BLUE MOON for sleep, but it leaves me very spacey the next day and boy do I overeat, crave sugars, chow down and I am obese to top it all off so I don't need to eat like that.

I found that the new Tylenol 8 hour works fairly well for me. I don't know why. I have tried every OTC pain reliever out there but for some reason this cuts the pain just enough so I can get on with business. I've had other prescription pain relievers and they make me spacey and constipated.

I hope this helps you.

Good thoughts,
    Michelle
  6. docrum

docrum New Member

celebrex isn't an "arthritis" drug. many drugs can be used for more than one condition
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

To my understanding Celebrex, Vioxx, Bextra, Mobic, are all used in arthritis patients - it is an anti-inflammatory drug.. They can also be used for tendinitis, anything that involves inflammation..

And netta, I did find that "message therapy" did help my fibro somewhat - atleast took the edge off, but with me, I have one big problem - no insurance will cover it..

Take Care.....Best Of luck.....Donna
  8. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

They tried me on Celebrex too which did not work for me. I have run the gammet on meds and therapies too. I have found the most beneficial things for me are regular exercise-regular sleep-My Q Ray bracelet-heating pad and Bio feedback. You just have to keep trying different things until you hit upon something that works for you. All of the meds just treat the symptoms and not the underlying problems. I wish they would hurry up and find a cure for this. It is no fun being in this much pain and most doctors not fully understanding about the condition. Good luck in finding those things that work. hang in there.
  9. lovesmybaby

lovesmybaby New Member

I do know how you feel about taking to many meds. I have to take alot of them also. But if I didn't take them I would have no life. I'd be in so much pain I wouldn't beable to move.
    But not only do I have fibromyalgia I also have RA, Lupus,IBS, and I'm just getting over a surgery for breast cancer. I too wish they would fine a cure for all I (we) have but until then I'll just keep up with the meds and pray for the best.
    I wish you luck with your battle with the meds.
    Linda :)
  10. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

HI, well it seems you are goin through what i went thru!
    OUCH! many meds i found out made my pain worse! read the small packet carefully that comes with your scrips, you have to ask the pharmacy for the small, folded up tiny written thing the drug company puts out but doesnt like people to read since the side effects are scary! what i did was a trial and error process, tossed out many meds that gave me more pain...it will surprise you that many pills cause pain in some of us! crazy!
    now i use pain patches and live ok.
    good luck!
  11. precoius

precoius New Member

I also have Fibro and have found that doing Yoga has
    helped alot. I do take Neurontin too. Also a long hot
    shower in the morning gets me going. Good Luck..
  12. bobbyray

bobbyray New Member

I'm a health care professional.
    alot of Doctors,do not know how to treat chronic pain. They go trough different steps, until they can find the right medication and treatmeant for you.
    This could be years down the path. i know I've been there
    myself.
    Family, and co-workers treat you differently, because of you condition,but don't give up. If the meds are not working, ask for something else.
    Ultram, and Ambien, have worked somewhat for me.
    I have also started on Ultimate HGH,recommended,by my Doctor.
    GOOD-LUCK, DON'T GIVE UP
  13. Magrinder

Magrinder New Member

HI JGAVI i READ YOUR RESPONDS TO TO MANY MEDS ,AND SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE IT COULD BE MY PROBLEM ALSO BEEN ON VICODIN 10/650MG FLEXERILL AND TRANZADON .SEEMS LIKE WHEN I TAKE THE VICODINS PAIN SEEMS TO GET WORSE .I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THAT WAS MAKING ME FEEL WORSE.tHANKS TO YOU i THINK MAYBE THAT COULD BR SOME OF THE PROBLEM. WHAT KIND OF PATCHES SHOULD I CONSIDER .

THANKS
    (MAGRINDER)
    (NEW TO CHAT)