Too much water drinking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Jan 27, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I think I deleted my post. Anyway I have kept track of my liquid intake today and am up to 129 oz. My electrolytes are ok except potassium was a little high well 5.7 is that bad? They are re testing it. I will probly drink another 16 oz during night. I am so thirsty, and I have to pee all the time. I had the blood test for diabetes once.
  2. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I haven't been on the board for awhile, so maybe this has already been covered. I saw on the news that some radio station held a water drinking contest--whoever drank the most water w/o being allowed to urinate won the prize. One woman contestant died from too much water cosumption. They said the brain obsorbes too much water and swells and it killed her. Of course, the weren't allowed to pee, so that may make a difference, but you might want to consider this.

Best wishes.

Foggygirl
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Any potassium level abouv 5.0 is considered abnormal and can be a sign of a condition called hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. This causes weakness and sometimes stiffness of the muscles before an attack of weakness.

If you have had a head or brain injury you may have a condition called diabetes insipidus (not the same as diabetes mellitis which affects blood sugar). DI from encephalitis or brain injury is a defect in the secretion of a hormone called vasopressin. You are very thirsty and pass large amounts of urine.

You might want to check out both those conditions (eMedicine usually has good articles) and see if they fit.

Jan
  4. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I am thirsty too all the time, 2 doctors told me that if you drink more than 2 litres per day you will start to have problems... I think 2 L = about 64 oz.
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

nightngale:

Personally, I do not see that as too much water drinking.

I know that for me, I believe it cuts any post nasal drip Imay have and also loosens up any in my chest.

I have often heard that it helps during the hot weather (obviously).

Do watch those electrolytes, nightngale.

nyrofan
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I drink alot of water during the day, also electrolyte solution. I had a bad problem with frequent nighttime urination last year, I was drinking about 5 glasses of water every night and waking up dehydrated every 2 hours. I thought my adrenals were going to quit, they suffered the most from this. I finally narrowed it down to diabetes insipidus. This has nothing to do with the level of your blood sugar (although if you pee constantly, it could be low) it means lack of antidiuretic hormone.

Vasopressin, the antidiuretic hormone, is produced by the pituitary and regulated by the hypothalamus. And since cfs people have hpa axis problems, it's no surprise it happened. But when I tried, I couldn't convince a doctor of it, they all thought I was nuts. I finally got a doctor to get me some - I reasoned for her that if it works, then I need it and if it doesn't, the worst it would do is raise my blood pressure a little which was low to begin with. Well, it worked AND raised my blood pressure. So it's a winner.

Did you have a diabetes test or a diabetes insipidus test? I have an inhaler of desmopressin, the synthetic version of vasopressin, that I just use at night. This hormone tells the kidneys to recirculate water that they filter back into your blood rather than putting it to your bladder for elimination. It's the only way I can sleep at night, otherwise I wake up every 2 hours with a full bladder, a dry mouth and low blood volume making my heart go crazy.

Diabetes insipidus is not really even associated with the regular "sugar" diabetes we're used to hearing about. So maybe ask your doc about the antidiuretic hormone for nighttime, at least.

best wishes,

karen

7. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Thanks all, yes I need to address this stuff. I just got 3 referrals for other problems, but I am actually gulping water and running into bathrooms. I have been sooo tired and have huge bags around my eyes, though nothing is really different. I am in a bad flare or going downhill. I have considered those mentioned illnesses. It's funny that the people on this site seem to know more than a doctor!!!! If we could all be physicians that would be awesome. I mentioned the water drinking my PCP did a urinalysis she is trying her best I am just flooring her with my wacked out numerous symptoms. She did spend and hour with me on my physical which is practically a miracle. There were 5 people behind me, but she did listen to my every complaint.AM waiting for lab results on potassium and urine.
  8. at a pain management course we where told that,in people who suffer from fibromyalgia,its been found (in the hospital) that these sufferes are very dehydrated.so i guess our brain and other organs,need more water.

anyway i started to drink 4 and a half pints of water a day,not all in one go haha,but cupfuls now and again through out the day.

now it did make my stools softer,and it did allow the gas in my body to come out more.

but i was wetting the bed every night,and had to put incontinence pants on for bedtime.i also had to put a kylie sheet on the bed,to stop the urine going into my mattress.

i have fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome.i was so worn out with the trips to the toilet through out the day.fatigued,oohh it was horrible.

anyway,i found out that,seeing as my illness doesnt send messages to my brain to let me know that my bowels and bladder need to be emptied.my urine was filling my bladder up,and holding more urine,beyong that point too.

the nurse scanned my bladder,saw it was full.watched me go and do a long pee at the toilet,and then scanned my bladder again.the bladder had filled up again.isnt that spooky.

i stuck a sticker to my living room mirror,and everytime i look at this,im to tell myself to go to the toilet to see if my bladder or bowels need a empty.as i cant rely on getting the normal messages from my organs and brain.

so,now im working part time.i cant drink water,else im going to keep having to go to the toilet.i pee myself already at work,and yes i do the pelvic floor excersizes daily to strengthen my muscles.but still i pee myself without warning.

the pee will get more severe if i drink water again.

how can i drink water,and be guarenteed not to become house bound?so i can remain in my job?

i wear incontinence pants at work,but they will only hold a small amount of pee.

kind regards
    fran
  9. I don't know, I am bad at drinking water, always have been. Shirl once posted an excellent article on water and its benefits . But can't find it now.
    I did see that lady that died from drinking too much water in a contest. Young, in her twenties with little ones. BUT they said she drank it in a short time, without being able to use the bathroom.
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

Make sure that you aren't drinking anything, eating anything or taking any medication that can act as a diuretic. You may have to look up everything you're consuming to try and figure it out. Like I can't tolerate even the slightest bit of caffeine or I am dehydrated for days. It practically happened overnight, too. Just one day I couldn't even have a tiny bit of coffee. Which I hardly drank to begin with.

Also, coconut water is a diuretic. It took me along time to find out that coconut water was one of my problems. So if you're drinking any cokes or coffee, you'll have to go decaff to see. And it takes awhile, it took weeks for my system to get back to normal after caffeine or coco water messed it up.

And someone already asked about salt, are you eating a fair amount? Salt should help you retain water, so you should be eating it. But I would go to the health food store and get some healthy salt like sea salt or something. Your adrenals need salt, too, or they will get fatigued from the dehydration. That happened to me.

best wishes,

karen