too sick for reg job......need help with ebay account...anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Apr 10, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Hi,
    It's me Doxy.......Iam not only sad....Iam falling into a depression......I have been unable to work for over 2 months now.....I CAN'T STAND IT!

Iam going crazy!

I have to do something!

Besides dd....Iam dealing with a lot of other health issues.......and there is no way I can commit to working outside the home for someone else on a regular basis....however....

My son and I are spending two days in Hollywood next week to sign up for work as extra's on movie sets...but that is not consistent....and the pay is very minimal....still it is something and it gets me out of the house so Iam not sitting here thinking about how sick Iam....

I can take work if I feel well enough,,,,or turn it down if I don't so that is a plus.....

I still need something else to help do my fair share of the household financial income......

You all know it is my dream to have a "cookie bake shop" but right now it is just not the right time for that....so Iam thinking I would like to start a store on EBay....

I am certain I can do that.....I just need help with setting it up and finding something that "WILL sell....if you or anyone you know has an ebay store can you help me with information.........

I just need a "hand up" as far as getting it started.....I would appreciate any advice or opinions......please be easy on me with computer lingo as Iam still in "grade school stages" with the computer ( everything i know how to do on the computer I taught myself)

Thank you for listening and for your help

Doxy
  2. desertlass

desertlass New Member

For Doxy,
    Maybe you guys have already done the movie extra thing but just in case you've never done this:

I had the fun of being a movie extra several years ago, when I was fairly healthy in my twenties. The first time, I went totally unprepared, and there were more "seasoned" extras that seemed to know how to make the day easier.

Basically, it was a lot of sitting or standing all day until you were called to stand on a mark, and then you might be standing there for a while before they call for action. And then they might have you do this same thing several times. I just don't want to see you get overtaxed and have to bow out.

So, I would suggest that if the main thing you should do is protect yourself from the heat and the sun, don't stand or sit when you don't have to, and keep to the shade. Above all stay hydrated! Mabye you could take a portable cooler on wheels with ice and water in it, and you could sit on it with a cushion under an umbrella.

I think you will have a really great time if you just take some things to keep yourself comfortable, like snacks to keep up your blood sugar, and a book to read, or music because there will be long stretches with nothing to do. But chit-chatting with some of the others can be fun! Who knows, mabye you'll be discovered, and you won't have to worry about an e-Bay store... except for all the "Doxy" fan items that will get sold on it by other account holders. :)

Break a leg!

Lisette

P.S. The movie people seem to like it if you don't wear bright colors, because they don't want you to compete with the main actors.
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My father and I wanted to do the whole e-bay thing. We are both disabled and cannot work.

We are slightly clueless as to how to also.

One thing I know Im going to do is sell a little of everything and anything. I notice that alot of people go to outlet stores and buy stuff and sell it. Thats probably what I would do.

I hope you get some ideas and have luck with this...i know ill need it to!

Hugs,
    Steph
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Hi Doxy,

I've been selling on ebay for years now, on and off. Now that I'm so sick I can only keep 10 or so listings going at once. I just list one or two lots a day. When I felt better I could keep up with 50 or so listings a week but not now.

It's easy and fun. Just find something YOU like and it's much easier to sell.

I personally don't pay the extra monthly charge for a e-bay store, though it may be worthwhile. I just list.

I personally find it easier to sell smaller, unbreakable items. That way I don't have to charge as much for shipping and they don't clutter the house as much.

That's my two cents. GOOD LUCK !

5. Engel

Engel New Member

I am going crazy too :-( at home .... been on STD 2 months now. I do not see how I will possibly ever be able to work (a regular job) ever again. I considered selling off a bunch of my stuff on E-Bay but have been afraid to. I am glad you started this thread. :)
  6. Rnclegal

Rnclegal New Member

Dear Doxy

1. Movie extra's. Went with my fiance when he did two History Channel gigs. Its a lot of sitting around waiting for something to happen rain or shine (It poured rain). Your day is very long. Ours lasted 12 hours plus travel time. I was so exhausted and went and had a sleep in the car. We got free lunch and he pocket 125 for each day, not including gas.

2. Ebay. I tried it both way. With store and without store. It is costly, time consuming and unless you can connect with a company that drop ships you have to package the stuff and get it to the mail. Most drop shippers charge at least 12.00 which immediately turns off the buyer.
    Everything you do costs money, but a general fee for having an account. And dont get trapped into the ads on the net about people supplying you with the names of companies looking for secret shoppers etc....for 39.99. They can be found for free.

If you decide to go the Ebay route with some of your things around the house place your ad so that it ends at about 9 pm eastern time on a weekend. Most shopping is done on the weekend, in the evening. Ive heard that second hand clothing does well, but just read the Ebay site. Dont get sucked into buying the information sold on there for 99c that will give you all the secrets. All you get is a crummy CD. If you want to set up a store, Ebay will guide you through it step by step. (You hear a theme here.....Im telling you not to do all the dumb things that I have done that have cost me unnecessary money.)

If you are looking just to pass the time, no money involved, try volunteer work at your hospital. You can be of extreme assistance and you make your own hours.

Carolyn
  7. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

This "IS" something I "CAN" do!

Iam excited to try this.........my son is going to help me with things that people might be looking for that will sell........and I have a LOT of things that my husband and I were going to sell at a garage sale...instead Iam going to get started on ebay with all things.

I think we can get a lot more money selling on ebay than garage sale anyway.....so it is a good way for me to get started.......

thank you all for all the good information and tips.....and if you have any more please send them my way....also for anyone else following this post that might want to get started as well..........

Hugs to you all for all your help and suggestions
    Doxy
  8. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

for those of you who sell on ebay.....can you give me some ideas as to where I can find make up and other items at wholesale prices in bulk.....

I myself have purchased name brand make up on ebay....most of the things are discontinued in the stores but a lot of people still want........I would like to know where I can find these types of things to sell on ebay.....

not just make up but other things as well.......I guess Iam looking for ways to find things in "bulk" to sell and make a profit.

thanks for anyone who can help me with this.

Doxy
  9. judymay

judymay New Member

as far ebay,
    the postal service will ship you ebay boxes and envelops free of shair, you just have to sign a paper saying thats the way you will use, and if you send the postal service an email saying you have packages to ship they will pick them up. you can even print your postage and insurance at the united postal service.
    You need a sales and tax use lisence to buy wholesale. As far wholesale cosemetice we have a Coty outlet here that very cheap for designer fragrances. But if you yard sale buy jeans they sale greay. I am rooting for youCAN DO IT!
  10. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

bumping for more info
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Excellent idea - I think selling on E Bay could be a great home business if you get past the learning curve. You can start your research at the library, and bookstores. (I have a ton of stuff I could sell if I had the time to learn this).

E Bay has a tutorial online about using their site - also I would go to the library and check out every single book they have on the subject.

If your son is good with computers maybe he could help you also.

Below is list of books you may find at library:

eBay For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (Paperback)
    by Marsha Collier (Author

Starting an eBay Business for Dummies, Second Edition (Paperback)
    by Marsha Collier (Author) "You've decided to get serious about your sales on eBay, so now you have to step up to the plate and decide how much

eBay Business All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) (Paperback)
    by Marsha Collier (Author) "If the whole idea of technology gives you the willies, don't back out now..." (more)

How to Buy, Sell, and Profit on eBay: Kick-Start Your Home-Based Business in Just Thirty Days (Paperback)
    by Adam Ginsberg (Author) "When I started selling on eBay, I would have loved to sit down with somebody and have that person teach me everything..." (more)

How to Sell Anything on eBay... And Make a Fortune (Sellingpower) (Paperback)
    by Dennis Prince (Author) "Although knowing just how we got where we are today with auctions, e-commerce, and eBay is not immediately critical to your success in the online..." (more)

eBay Listings That Sell For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (Paperback)
    by Marsha Collier (Author), Patti Louise Ruby (Author) "Why is it that some eBay sellers are successful while others can't seem to move their similar items?..." (more)

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Launching an eBay Business (Absolute Beginner's Guide) (Paperback)
    by Michael Miller (Author) "If you haven't used eBay yet, you're missing out on something..." (more)

eBay Timesaving Techniques for Dummies (Paperback)
    by Marsha Collier (Author) "Do you have a friend who always seems to get incredible deals in the brick-and-mortar world, as well as online?..." (more)

eBay Income: How Anyone of Any Age, Location, and/or Background Can Build a Highly Profitable Online Business with eBay (Paperback)
    by Cheryl L. Russell (Author) "It looked like one more forgettable Saturday garage sale like so many others that day..." (

What to Sell on eBay and Where to Get It (Paperback)
    by Chris Malta (Author), Lisa Suttora (Author)

12. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

You always go "that extra mile" when it comes to helping those of us on this board!

"Gosh" thank you for all the helpful information.....the things you posted for me will really help me a lot!

I had another brain storm idea today.....I think it is a GREAT idea......but I would have to hire someone to help me put together a business plan.....so I can proceed.....

Iam not giving up on trying different things until I find something that works for me!

I just know for sure I do want to be a productive member of society as much as I possibly can and for as long as I possibly can!

I will email you with more info.........

TO everyone else that has posted here for me....I want to thank you so much......all these wonderful tips and ideas will really help me to give this a try...I appreciate each and every one of you who have taken the time and effort to try to make this easier for me! :)

Love and hugs
    Doxy