Too sick to cook, Need healthy/quick food ideas.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Apr 26, 2005.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I am too sick to cook right now, but don't want to rely on frozen dinners. I have been eating a lot of canned soup. Is this okay? Anything else that is easy/quick? I can't cook all day one day a week like some of you do, I am too sick for that right now. Thanks for any ideas.
  2. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Suz9601:
    Like you I stick to the soups. I load it up with crushed crachers to give it some substance. When I am up to it I will make a pot roast: I can eat that for days at dinner time. Luckily I have nobody but me to feed so I can have what I want.
    NyroFan
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I will tell you what my hubby did for me before he left for Tennessee. I had been too tired after work that week for anything and he had been cooking. I was at the point that I could not go in the grocery store because of the lights so he went before he left and got things that would be quick and our 11 year old could help with so I will tell you what he got and maybe that will help.

frozen potpies ($10 for 8 from Sam's)
    box macaroni and cheese
    crock pot dinner that you put on in the am and it has everything included in the package
    frozen pizza
    fish sticks
    french fries
    stuff for pigs in a blanket
    frozen lasagne (stoffers)
    box pizza from Chef Boyardee
    spaghetti
    hamburger helper

It has worked out well and thankfully I have had a MAJOR improvement in my energy since getting the clonzapem (Klonopin) from my GP so I could have cooked (just don't like to!)

Sonya
  5. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

I don't know what I would do with out mine...I throw everything in it and let it do it's thing...My husband likes it too..sometimes he even creates some pretty good things..I still do the shopping but I have gone through 3 different pots..worn them out! eggs also make for a great meal..
  6. sybil1

sybil1 New Member

One potential problem with canned soup is the sodium. If you have high blood pressure you may want to read the label. I don't cook anymore. I just nibble on stuff. Lots of fruit (fresh and frozen), cheese, yogurt and veggies. Nuts are good for you if you can stick to a handful or so. Meals are like sleep, we don't get enough of them! Plus, even if you had the energy to cook a meal, there's the mental part of planning it and then you still have to shop for the items? It's all to much!! I wish we could go online and order food and have it delivered. That would make life so much easier!!!!

try to eat healthy.....

sybil
  7. day2day

day2day Member

cut up frozen veggies like cauli flower, brocolli and slicec carrots and thow it in a big fry pan with some house of sang korean stir fry( if i want meat I just ask the butcher to cut up a bout a half pound of what type I want)

I have a black and decker electric steamer/ rice maker so all i have to do is fill it with water, put the rice and
    water in the tops and is done in an hour.

so what I do is throw in the frozen veggies in the pan along with some jarred minced garlic, thow the sauce on it, cover and simmer it for an hour and then throw that over the rice when this is done. It is very tasty and good for you, and u can make a heap of it at a time too and put it in fridge.

I will start paying attention to my easy meals I make,and try to post some on here for you guys.

My 7 year old has severe food allergies so I don't have a choice on cooking, and often times he has to have something and I don't like it....so I have to prepare 2 meals or modify one of the meals......so easy is better for me.

hope that recippe helps u a bit. hugs day2day
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

or my favorite, cereal!

sonya
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

that is always one of my favorite quickies. As a matter of fact, that is sounding good for tonight!
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Manwich. I keep thinking of things, but don't know how healthy they are!!!

Sonya
  11. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

If I have time before I go to work, I slip something in the crock pot.
    In a real pinch, I do stir fry - I always have shrimp in the freezer and they make those veggie mixes (peppers, etc) now that make it really easy to do. I also stir fry venison or moose meat strips with veggies. (my dh likes to hunt so I have both on hand.
  12. mrshrittie

mrshrittie New Member

It gets tricky on the day I work so here's what I do

mircowave a bag of pre cut washed veggies (they come in all varities and youcan even find organic),wash then again if you want (I do)

bake some chicken breats,pork loin,or fish filtes in the oven

make either brown rice or whole wheat pasta or toss a couple of potatoes in the oven with the meat

and thats it! What could be easier! and it is healther than alot of premade boxed stuff.
    I keep the seasoning basic and let them use condiments.

ps. my kids (3 and 5) eat it too. Healthy eating habits start young.

13. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Suz, I don't know if you like salads but here is what I do. They have these salad kits at the grocery. There is one for Caesar (Et Tu is the brand name I think), you can get that, some Romaine lettuce, and some already cooked chicken (Perdue Short Cuts), bingo you've got a chicken Caesar salad right there. There is also a kit for spinach salad, you could put bacon bits or tuna in that one. Or throw some shredded carrot over it. Buy it pre-shredded, saves time and energy. Now you've got your veggies and your protein. You can have this with a meal, or alone. Sometimes I put a piece of pita bread with it.

I look for coupons in my paper and buy these kits on sale.

(((((((Hugs to ya))))))
    Michelle
  14. KelB

KelB New Member

Remember that food doesn't have to be cooked to be good for you. As long as you don't have intolerances, a tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk, make a very satisfying and nourishing meal.
  15. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Like puddlegum suggested, I cook meals for 4 and freeze 1/2 in 2 containers (1 serving per container) as there is just me and hubby. All I have to do is pop into microwave to reheat. Also, he can have one thing and I can have something different if we want.

I also got a George Foreman grill (you could get any brand you wanted). It cooks meats in minutes. Great for chicken breasts (boneless), pork chops, burgers... Things taste similar to being grilled outside, almost.

If I make burgers on the grill outside, I always cook the maximum I can at one time and freeze leftovers. Great way to enjoy the taste when it's snowing out!

I keep a few boiled eggs ready for a quick snack.

I also make stew (6-8 quarts at a time) and can the quarts in a pressure canner. I just have to find a time when I have the energy to get up and stir it every so often. They last for 6 months and I control the ingredients (like salt, compared to purchased stew). Also handy when invited to potluck dinners. I know we don't all do canning, but it helps me. You could always freeze it.

Here's to great eating!
  16. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Everyone, thanks. I have many ideas now. It's just so hard to cook when you feel so bad, I guess you all understand. Thanks again. What do you all eat for breakfast?
  17. suz9601

suz9601 Member

For me. I have low bp anyway. It must be hard for those of you to avoid it, since it is loaded in almost everything now days.
  18. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

There is nothing wrong sustaining yourself with canned soup. Do you have someone to shop for you? Do you have any neighbors who would help you with meals if you pay for groceries? I have found help from local churches when I can't face standing in the kitchen.
    Don't be wary of asking for help.
    lots of soft hugs,
    A
  19. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs

All protein, all healthy.

I also eat protein bars during the day. They give me the protein I need and also fill me up.

BxGirl
  20. nathansmom

nathansmom New Member

Hi everyone has the right idea about cooking extra and freezing however I have noticed that potatoes don't taste well after freezing.

I love salads and fresh raw veggies, it does irritate my ibs but they are so easy and good.

Crockpots are real easy of if you can find a multilevel steamer like I have.

It will come in handy, You just put water in the bottom of the pan and put your meat on the first rack and your veggies on the next one and cook for an 45min-1hr.

I'm not sure where to find the steamers however, my mother in-law bought the one I use from fingerhut.

I do know what you mean about not feeling like cooking. One other thing I do is I have a rolling chair for the kitchen and then my husband cleans up or helps make the meal.

Good luck hope you feel a little better soon. nathansmom