too tired too cook

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Jun 28, 2009.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I live by myself, and I'm too tired to cook. I'm also too tired to grocery shop. I eat the same things over and over and over again--namely, scrambled eggs, smoothies, peanut butter sandwiches, and cereal with bananas. I don't eat nearly enough veggies. I used to love veggies and was a vegetarian. I don't feel like eating them anymore. I don't want to eat frozen dinners or processed foods. I was eating out quite a bit, but now I can no longer afford it. I'm either too exhausted or don't have time to go to the grocery store. I go when I'm absolutely out of everything. Suggestions?
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have found that, for me, it's not so much what I cook but how I prepare it. The biggest help I have in the kitchen is from my pressure cooker that lets me cook vegs in a very short time. And also my slow cooker. I put the food in at bedtime in the slow cooker and it's done overnight, or put it in early in the day for dinner. You don't have to brown meats before cooking so you can just put meat and vegs in the cooker, add liquid and turn it on. Hope this helps. GB66
  3. DavidJ.

DavidJ. New Member

hi,

dont you have a kind of delivering service for food in the u.s? in germany we have so i cant imagine that the u.s doesnt.you can order via internet and its like an online supermarket. maybe someone from america knows a website?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2009]
  4. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

www.vons.com
    www.albertsons.com
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

We're fortunate here to have a couple of places near us that sell cooked food every day that's delicious. There may be places like that near you. You can call your Chamber of Commerce to find out. I don't like eating take-out from restaurants as much because these places that cook food are into healthier food but take-out is a good alternative.

I like the microwavable veggies in the plastic bags that they sell in the grocery store too. The veggies are fresh which I find makes me feel better than either canned or frozen. You just poke a fork through the bag a few times and nuke for 3 min.

6. satchya

satchya New Member

Do you have a Trader Joe's grocery store near you? If so, let me know and I'll give you some healthy ideas that are easy to make from there. They have very healthy inexpensive options.
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I hear you

I too do not eat enough veggies

I recently discovered Birds Eye Steamfresh Veggies. They are in a pouch and you just throw them in the microwave. Yes, it would be better to have fresh, but these come in real handy

Also I bought a huge bag of Dole Frozen Mixed Fruit at Sam's Club - they are great even frozen

Maybe you can get someone to help you stock up on these
  8. nink

nink New Member

All of the ideas about how to eat healthily despite having one or both of these dds are great. But most of them are overlooking one of luvdog's major problems: she/he is too tired to go to a grocery store.

Contacting local stores to see if they have a delivery service is a good idea. I know that one of my local stores used to have delivery, but it has been discontinued. Guess it was a money-loser.

Is there a friend, relative, neighbor, volunteer service in your community who can assist you with this? Anyone at all, even if you have to pay for the help? Maybe there is a CFS/Fibro support group in your area with someone who is feeling better who could help you. If someone would drive you to the store, stay with you and do all the work so that all you had to do was ride in a cart and point to what you need, drive you home and put everything away, would that make it possible for you to get to the grocery store? My church has a food pantry and I think deliveries are made to those who are home-bound. If you called around to local churches, synagogues and social service agencies and expressed your need for assistance with with grocery shopping, perhaps one of their volunteers in community outreach ministry could assist you. A sensitive and smart volunteer would not try to "convert" you - his/her presence and assistance would be enough to demonstrate the doctrines of his/her church.

If you could get help with getting groceries into your house, then you could implement some of the good suggestions that have been made about maximizing the nutritional value of what you buy.

You may have thought of and even tried all of these suggestions. I don't mean to insult your problem-solving skills. I hope you figure something out. Sometimes it's very difficult for us to ask for help, even when we need it desperately. We need to get over that.
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I can so totally relate to your problems with shopping and cooking....and clean up is also a problem for me......many of my suggestions are similar to what have already been offered, but a couple of other ideas are:

- use paper plates, paper dishes, plastic spoons, and plastic forks and just throw them out afterwards (I know it's not good for the environment and not cheap, but it's better than not eating bc you don't want to have dirty dishes left in the sink forever bc you are too tired to clean them)

- the brand, Amy's, makes some pretty healthy microwave meals - no prep and no clean up

- the previously mentioned stores that deliver are not located near me, but there is a Peapod delivery service that is - I haven't actually used it yet, but may very well wind up doing so in the near future

- also if you do have to actually go to the store, having a disabled parking placard can be helpful....I just got one and though I feel uncomfortable using it, it has already made grocery shopping easier a couple of times when I would not have been able to go if I had had to park further away
  10. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Wow, thanks so much to everyone for your very useful replies!! I'm not sure if the local stores do deliveries or not, but I will find out. I realized I can also call the services for aging. I'm still too embarrassed to use those little carts in the stores, and haven't quite had the guts to ask the doctor for handicapped parking. I think I lost my slow cooker, so I guess I can buy another one at Wal-Mart. How do you use a pressure cooker? I have one, but don't know how to use it. My biggest problem is that by the time dinner-time rolls around I'm just bushed. I ate cereal again tonight. Also, laundry, dishes, etc. keep me really busy. Between the dogs, and those things, it takes me all day to accomplish things, not to mention finances, etc. I will reread all your replies and answer in greater detail. That's why this website is so good!
  11. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Wow, thanks so much to everyone for your very useful replies!! I'm not sure if the local stores do deliveries or not, but I will find out. I realized I can also call the services for aging. I'm still too embarrassed to use those little carts in the stores, and haven't quite had the guts to ask the doctor for handicapped parking. I think I lost my slow cooker, so I guess I can buy another one at Wal-Mart. How do you use a pressure cooker? I have one, but don't know how to use it. My biggest problem is that by the time dinner-time rolls around I'm just bushed. I ate cereal again tonight. Also, laundry, dishes, etc. keep me really busy. Between the dogs, and those things, it takes me all day to accomplish things, not to mention finances, etc. I will reread all your replies and answer in greater detail. That's why this website is so good!
  12. nink

nink New Member

I'm glad you found some info that will be helpful to you in the posts. I have a couple more things to add:
    1. "My problem is that by the time dinner-time rolls around I'm just bushed" MOVE FOOD PREP UP IN YOUR PRIORITIES. If you are not bed-bound, then you have the power to decide where your energy is spent!

There are lots of ways to do this, like using the slow cooker and preparing your dinner earlier in the day when you have more energy. Add something like Carnation (it used to be called Carnation instant breakfast) to your shopping list to add some nutrition to your daily intake. I always see several crock pots in the Goodwill-type stores in my area. Ask if you can bring it back if it doesn't work before you put down any money. Ask your friends and neighbors if they have one they would like to get rid of.

There are a lot of books in my local library about using a crock pot/slow cooker, and many of them provide the nutritional values of the meal so you can choose the healthier ones.

I've never used a pressure cooker, but I do know that newer ones are a LOT different from the older ones. Is the rubber seal on yours even still in good shape?

2. USE THE DANGGONE CARTS. Believe me, people who need them a lot less than you are using them! Which is why they seem to always be out of power when I need one. :)

3. GET A HANDICAPPED STICKER. You don't have to use it if you don't feel you need it. Besides, there are never enough handicapped spots so you'll be lucky if you find one, even if you do have a sticker.

You've made some decisions, consciously or unconsciously, about several things. That means you can change your mind. Is your health worth putting more effort into healthy eating? Is it okay for you to ask for help from your community, which does have some resources that might assist you? Is it okay to use assistive devices such as a motorized shopping cart - are you really giving up your integrity, independence, or whatever if you do so?

Changing our minds about these basic things can be a real challenge. Take it one step at a time, always keeping in mind that you deserve to take good care of yourself. If you don't, who is going to? Good luck - let us know how you are doing, okay?
  13. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I asked my Rheumy for a handicap placard and he said no. So I asked my GP and she said yes. I use it every time I go out. I have a cane as well and so far no one has been rude or mean to me. I'm expecting that though and I'll tell them that if they walked a mile in my shoes then they would understand.

tee
  14. satchya

satchya New Member

I thought of another idea that may help with both the too tired to shop and too tired to cook problems. I don't know about your neighborhood, but I know in our neighborhood there are a lot of families where one or both of the adults has lost a job and is at home a lot, and is looking for odd jobs to help stretch their budget. Also there are a lot of high school students with drivers licenses and college age students home for the summer who probably have not been able to find work this Summer like usual.

Perhaps you might be able to find someone friendly and helpful who would be willing to take your list to the store and do your shopping, bring home the groceries and get them put away for you, and then help make up a few dinners to freeze and a few to keep in the fridge for the week? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just regular cooking that anybody can do, but it would be healthier than take out or convenience food.

You would be able to get what you needed from the grocery store on a more regular basis without it having to be such an ordeal, so you may be able to get fresh fruit and veggies more regularly. I have no idea if this idea would be too expensive for you, but even if you just hired, say, a 16 year old high school student for minimum wage, you'd be giving them work experience, someone they can use as a reference in the future, maybe you can even give them some cooking lessons (if there's a non-exhausting way you can do this, not sure) that they can use when they go away to college) as a partial exchange for their help?

If you don't know anyone you could maybe call a nearby church that could recommend someone, or a local girl scout chapter (girl scouts goes all the way up to 16 or 18 years old I'm pretty sure). This is just something that occured to me today when I called my babysitter to schedule her to watch the kids next week when I go see my acupuncturist. She is a 16 year old who I started training to be a babysitter when she was 12, at the time there was no one in my neighborhood who could babysit, so I found a teenager I thought would be responsible and good with kids, and I trained her myself. Now she is the envy of all my friends (they all wish they had such a good babysitter), and she is very loyal to our family. Sometimes the help you're looking for is right in your own neighborhood :)
  15. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

hey there! i saw where you said you were too embarrassed to ask for a handicap parking sticker and use the cart. please dont be!!!!!!!!! who cares what people think?!? they do not know how you feel and what you go through! I have seen many people use them that look "normal" but I know something else may be wrong.....they could have FM or CFS or a respiratory or heart condition! I have realized these things as i have been diagnosed with RA. I have more understanding of things. I havent had to use these things yet but i wont worry about if the time comes. You just hold your head high and do what you need to do...there will always be ignorant people....this coming from a previous ignorant person (grins).

now when i see someone in a motorized cart i have a better understanding. I give them a great big smile and if i see them having a hard time reaching something i help them. I thought i was a nice person before but now i realize i could have been nicer.

get that parking sticker too .....dont worry about other people. My sister has a friend who has an amputed leg and wears a prosthesis . he works full time but walking long distances is hard on him so he has a handicapped sticker....people have looked at him funny and have said things like he shouldnt have one. they dont even know he has an artificial leg. so let them talk...they are ignorant and they cant help it! best of luck to you! :) Blue
  16. nink

nink New Member

Satchya - great idea!! So many of us could use some help, and there are a lot of people of all ages and experiences looking for any kind of work these days - bless them all. In fact, I think it's such a good idea that it deserves its own post, if you feel up to copying it and putting it up on the board as a new thread. I certainly never thought of the greater availability of help. (I pay those helpers in cash, which they greatly appreciate)

Glen - I'm glad you have had good experiences with Meals on Wheels. I suspect that the quality and price varies greatly from service area to service area. Good hot meals are served at lunch time at our local senior center also, but MOW food comes from one of the hospitals and is really, really bad. The standing joke is that they send out the food the patients wouldn't eat the day before! It's too bad - a lot of people who really could use the service and need one nutritious meal a day won't pay for what they receive here.
  17. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I want a bumper sticker that says, "Not all disabilities are visible." (I have never seen one like this or I would have it already.) Maybe something like that would help a little for those of us who have invisible disabilities - if someone still made a comment, we could simply point to the sticker.
  18. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My DH (who passed away May 17) was am amputee and in gthe later yrs, always used - I finally had to use one too. I would find one for him and wait at the end of the checkout line if I saw one checking out. They were always glad to let me have it. Most grocery shoppers are so kind and ask if there is something off a high shelf that they could help me with. You have t o watch for traffic at the corners LOL

DH also had a license plate that was handicap for yrs. and a placard. His PCP was always understanding and knew he needed it. The placard moved to D's car is we were going someplace and it was needed.

I have my biggest meal at noon - I am usually too tired at night to prepare something. Have a micro baked potato or sweet potato, cereal, 1 sandwich from a Hot Pocket,-----anything simple. I eat quite a few prepared frozen dinners and add a canned or frozen veggie (love steamed oned) or canned or fresh frjuit. I only use half the can ofpkg. of veggies and only half the can of fruit. I try to have a veggie and fruit sometime in the day with a meal. Breakfast is generic instant oatmeal.

i have 2 pressure cookers and haven't used them in a long time. I used to make stew with stew meat, carrots, pot. and onions and have them finished ion 30 min.

Wish i had some better ideas for you. Maybe later I will think of some more.

Best wishes,

lilaclover
  19. lynncats

lynncats New Member

when you find one please let me know. I'll have on on my hubby's car, t'shirt, coffee cups. As a matter of fact, i'm going to the site where they sell things for this, and other DD, and see if hey have one like that. If not I'll ask them to start printin them, LOL.

HUGS

LYNN
  20. nink

nink New Member

We can work something up on our computer and use those products that reproduce pictures onto fabric. We can print up something on paper and laminate it, then put it on our car.

I'm afraid the "hidden disabilities" sticker may be too subtle!

How about: Air: just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
    Disabilities: just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there.

I know --- too too long. But people can be so dense!!! Heck, I wear a size 2XL. I can fit a picture of the Grand Canyon on my t-shirt!

I've eaten too much chocolate tonight. Am going off on tangents. Whoo-hoo!