Too young for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Belle0803, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Belle0803

Belle0803 New Member

I am a 21 yr old female who has been experiencing chronic joint pain for the past six months. Certain diseases have been ruled out by my PCP, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and Lyme's Disease. My immune system has been incredibly susceptible to everything lately - I have had both the viral stomach flu and bronchitis in just three weeks. I don't sleep well, I'm depressed, and I'm constantly achy. I have no idea what's going on w/ me... My PCP referred me to a local rheumatologist, who I am seeing in about five days. I'm worried that he won't be able to help either or, as some of you have posted, that he will tell me that it's psychological especially since I am so young. Any suggestions, support, or comments?

Thanks so much.
  2. yogabunny

yogabunny New Member

I was 25 when they told me I had CFS. Before that they did all the tests you listed plus a B-12 test. I was very low on B-12 which is what they treated first. When I didn't recover in 6 months like I was suppose to, my PCP started treating my depression. (At that point I had been so sick I couldn't get out of bed two days out of ten for about a year. Gee, you think I was a bit down?) Anyway, my husband was trasferred to Portland, OR and I had to start all over again with a new PCP and a new Rummy. It took another yar and a half, but the Rummy finally agreed I had something akin to CFS, but in her experince it usually ran about a two year course and then went away. Too bad we've come to find out since then that that is not exactly trus. I've had my good days then bad since 1999, but I've added IBS to my problems and still have days I can't get out of the house due to pain.

Anyway, the good news is your not the only one. The bad news is when you are young and look healthy it's hard to get anyone to believe your in pain. Keep at your DRs. It's not all in your head.

Bunny
  3. phenom

phenom New Member

i'm 21 but have had this crappy illness since i was about 9 years old (not severe until 18 months ago when i had to leave university). so it can hit anyone, it is just 'usual' to be a bit older. but you will soon learn that nothing is 'usual' with FMS. get a full blood work up and tests for everything, including hep and HIV, just to be sure, and go from there. if your rheumy does say its all in your head (As mine did - i then refused to pay his bill) don't take it to heart. take pity on him for not being smart enough to see what is right under his nose. then fight for another doc or another rheumy until you find one that understands. this is not in any way an easy process, many of us on the boards are still looking. i wish you the best of luck though.

phenom
  4. missymiss

missymiss New Member

hey belle! This is Missymiss, nink told me you were new here! So I'm saying WELCOME ABOARD!! I only joined a few days ago and the moment I joined I felt soooooo welcome! Everyone is very friendly and you will fit right in here :) I'm 15 and have been ill for a year and a half, at some point with glandular fever and Im not sure when it turned into CFS!!
    Anyway, anytime you feel like talking, just shout!
    *Missymiss*
  5. Belle0803

Belle0803 New Member

Thank you to all those who replied so quickly. Last night happened to be a really bad one, so it was nice and very comforting to sign on this morning and read all of your wonderful comments. My appt is on Thursday, so I'll be back after that... in the meantime, I have to pretend to be a normal college senior and write my honors thesis. :) But like I said, thank you all for your kindness and willingness to share your experiences. I will talk to you all again soon.

Belle
  6. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hi Belle!
    I'm 18 and I've had CFS since I was 12 and fibro since I was 16. There is no such thing as too young. Good news about getting it young is that you have an increased chance of recovery. If the doctor you go to tells you it's all in your head or you're too young, go to another doctor.
    I hope things are looking up for you. If you need to talk to someone, just give a shout.
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*