Took a long, hard, depressing look in the mirror

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Apr 22, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

and decided it's time to deal with the flab and the weight and the unnecessary wear and tear on this body. I KNOW I will feel better after I lose some weight and have more muscle.

Actually, I was pretty horrified at what I saw. Yikes!

I'm trying not to be depressed over this, trying to stay positive. Here's my plan:

1. Stick with fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and low fat dairy.

2. Limit and/or avoid sugar.

3. Avoid processed foods. If I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it!

4. Be very observant of portion size and be EAT CONSCIOUSLY! No more mindless face stuffing.

5. Move more!! Muscle tone and flexibility are my friends!

Ok, then, I've stated my intentions.

Thank you all for listening!

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Congratulations Beth on the choices you're making. I'm on the same path, trying to release 20 lbs and get in better shape. We can do it! God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm trying too! There comes a point where I know I have to try, despite how difficult it will be. I can't exercise much so I will have to be much more conscious of my eating.

Good luck to us!!
    Kathy

4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Good for you Beth!!! I wish you all the success. Remember to start moving in very little increments so you do not experience a backlash.....that would be so unfair and could set one back more than physically.

Portion size is a biggy too, everywhere we go it's GIANT proportions.

Good Luck.

June
  5. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

I know I felt so much better when I lost weight a few years ago. Portion control really does make a big differance. Thats basicly how I did it. Im not one to do any type of real "diet".I still ate everything I wanted even my favorate choclate ice cream which I put in a tea cup instead of a bowl and just ate it slow savored every lick of the spoon.
    Also Im with Gigi on the smoothies. I have one in the morning with my vitamins.Dr Teitelbaum makes a shake mix thats great and thats what I use. Its called From fatigued to fantastic - Energy revitalization system. And it comes with a months worth of b complex vits. in the box too. Its orange flavor and I mix it in the blender with afew ice cubes,1/2 orange juice and 1/2 water.You can always jazz it up with differant fruits too. Its very filling. It tastes great and does give me more energy. He made it specifically for FMS/CFSers.

Also one thing I always kept in mind when ever I blew it I just got right back on track and didnt let it throw me threw a loop.
    I went from a size 16/18 to a size 4/6. I keep it off with the same method when my pants start getting tight I just cut back.
    I try to remember that when I try to stay away from sugar to. Thats important and its my big downfall. Chocolate and pastries.

As far as exersize my back is in too bad of shape to do much but I did join an athitis water exersize class at the ymca. It was amazing how that helped tone and get the heart rate going. water is used for resistance in the exersizes.Try to find a realy warm pool though.The cold water wasnt good for my muscles. And my back was so bad I had to quit. A therapy type pool would be best.

Well hope I helped some ~ Good Luck ~ Sally
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I need to do that too.:)

Your list sound's good to me. I try to do that anyway, but tend to eat out of lonliness, and have a terrible sweet tooth.

Husband eat's anything, otherwise I wouldn't buy the tempting stuff, but it's not fair to him that I can't control myself.:)

Here's to better, healthier choices,

Claudia
  7. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I need to join you on your journey. I too could not believe what I saw in the mirror. I am just so tired all the time, I dont move much anymore. I am going to try the smaller portion bit, and try to stay away from the carbs which I love and crave. I dont eat that much, I just dont move enough. Good luck to us both. Pat
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I,ve lost 20 lbs in the last 4 months. afew lbs each month.I am on Effexor,Kadian,Trazadone,Neurontin,Flexiril and my diabetes medicine.It can be done!I still move when I can and don't blame myself when I can't.Linda
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

Together we can do anything! Well, almost, anyway...

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. I am not looking for miracles, just a few pounds off each month until I feel like I've lost enough. (Probably about 40 pounds.) I'll never be a 'skinny minny', although it would be great, just once, to hear my family say, "Beth you need to eat! You're too thin!" *g*

Just being conscious of reality is a help to me. This time, though, I'm not really too depressed about it, maybe because I'm not beating myself up over it. I lost control for a month, and it's time to get back to reality. Ok!

did pretty well today, just stayed aware of what went into my mouth.

You all are awesome, amazing people, and I am honored to know you.

Peace,
    Beth.
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I had gone off for a couple of days.It helped me get back on too.Linda
  11. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I have just begun a new lifestyle also. I have joined Curves, I am eating a healthier diet (pretty much the one you listed).

I also have changed some other things in my life. Now that I am feeling better (because of the above) I have joined a book club that meets once a month.

I am also going to try to clean my daughter's house for her twice a month. It may take me two days in one week to get it done. Ha But I am feeling sooo much better with just these few changes that I think I may be able.

My Rheumy has put me in physical therapy also.

Altogether, these changes have made a hugh difference in my life. Last year I was almost bedridden.

I have lost weight and inches in just a month and a half.

Thanks for cheering us on.

Hugs,

Jodi
  12. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Your not alone on this one...I too am planning on giving my all to a better diet. It won't be easy but, we can do it!