Took a trip now I'm so sick happened to you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Oct 30, 2006.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

Took our first plane trip since I was diagnosed with CFS/FM four years ago. I've been so sick for the whole month since we got home. Have any of you had this happen to you? The doctor gave me antibiotics. They made me more sick. Had to stop them. Now all I can do is suffer through it. I swear I'm never going away again. The fatigue and weakness and headache etc is just awful. Are there any of you out there who just don't go for this very reason?

Carol
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Do you have a cold or jet lag? I have to take a long trip in January for business. I try to get alot of rest along the way. It is only for 4-5 days but a long distance.

I know it is supposed to help to drink alot of water.

Do you have a cold? Why the antibiotics?
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had my first severe FM flare during a trip 2 1/2 years ago. Things certainly haven't been the same since.

Most of our family is a six hour drive and we have only made that trip 4 times since then. I find I need time before a trip and time after a trip to recover. Kind've hard when you're working and have limited vacation time.

This summer we went to New Hampshire (7 hours away) and had a wonderful time but I'm still trying to get my energy back from that one.

For us, we limit our travel. It all depends on how I'm feeling at the given time. We don't go into future planning anymore.

Regards,

Eileen
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

People with fragile immune systems - and even people with regular immune systems! - often get sick after plane flights because of the germy air that gets recirculated during the flight. I got very ill with another EBV infection after a trip to California that had been a lot of fun three years ago. The weather there was in the 70s and the weather in MI upon arrival here was in the low 40s with snow on the ground. I do not handle weather changes well. I guess a combo of weather change, the flight and the excitement aka stress from the trip did me in.

I haven't flown again but I will at some point, with very crossed fingers.

If you continue to be sick, you might want to have your doctor check for EBV. It can and does reoccur. A normal dose of antibiotics could just aggitate it without curing it.

Marta
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

carol, I can not stand to fly anymore . The air quality is just terrible.

I think there are lots of germs in thouse air planes and when you are already sick it just makes it worse.I hope you feel better soon.
  6. ali_cat

ali_cat New Member

I took a trip this summer. It was a 15 hour drive one way. Needless to say, I was more sick than I have been in the 16 years I have had FM. I would go to bed early, wake up a my regular time, be up for about 90 minutes, and take a 2 hour nap, every day. I was so miserable I was going to fly home so I didn't have to suffer through the drive home. My husband was ready to give up on me. I couldn't walk because my leg muscles and gluts completley contracted and I felt naseous the whole time. I was also in a complete Fibro fog the whole time. I will NEVER take a long road trip again. EVER.
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carol,
    Yes, I have decided to not try to travel any more.

A few years ago,when I was still teaching, I felt under the weather, but still traveled 4 hours to a family Christmas gathering. By the time I got there I was miserable, and spent the whole evening in a chair.

By the time I was home (We spent the night) the next day, I was as sick as a dog, with bronchitis and other related symptoms. I missed work for 3 weeks, that time! And to top it off, my superintendent of schools was on a rampage against people who missed work after holidays, and posted my name, along with others, for the whole district to see! He hadn't even inquired as to why I was absent from work.I learned then that people don't care why you miss work, they just want you there.

Now that I'm retired, I have learned that, unless I want to be in bed for a couple of weeks, and in a lot of pain, I stay home. I don't travel more than an hour away from the house, unless I have someone to help drive. Even then, I stay pretty close to home. Especially in flu season. I prefer spending the holidays alone, to spending them being super miserable.

So, you're not alone, I think you are being wise. It's hard to stop expecting ourselves to be able to do what everyone else does.

You have my support, 100%!
    Big hugs,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  8. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Dear Carol,

I just had to cancel out on a trip to Chicago for this very reason. There were no accomodations "built in" to accomodate my diseases, and I realized I couldn't go.

Travel both ways, walking tours, luncheon, and no place to rest made it a recipe for disaster.

In order to make trips more do able, I try to abide by the one thing each day rule, and build in plenty of rest time.

For example, travel is one thing, once I get there I rest. I may also rest for the whole next day.

NOTE: Even if it costs extra, go with the best travel accomodations you can afford - more room in the plane, taxis rather than buses, one way flights rather than layovers, etc.

The next day I might do one thing (tour, or see one group of people) each day, keeping in mind I will need at least part of that day for recovery and perhaps part or all of the next.

When you have limited time to be someplace, the pressure is to try and fit in as many places, activities or see as many people as possible. Those of us w/ FMS and/or CFIDS simply cannot think that way. Make things small and simple, and be grateful for what you can do, always keeping in mind what will await you when you get home.

When I return, I count on being out of commission for 3 days to a week.

I have taken trips before I was careful (and after, too) where it has taken a month of being severely disabled in order to recover.

It is so frustrating!!

But, careful planning and prioritizing can make a trip easier on you. You also have to choose carefully what is most important to you. Sometimes, the trip is worth the tradeoff in recovery time.

Hope this helps. Hang in there. I've been there, and learned from it. Don't give up - just plan on recovery time!

Kim