Took away all pain meds and put me to sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilmoma, Jan 18, 2006.

1. lilmoma

lilmoma New Member

About 3 weeks ago my doctor decided I no longer needed any type of pain medication. She assured me that being on 150 mg of Pamelor at night and 75 when I woke up(whenever that might be) would work on the pain center of the brain and I would now live pain free. Well, that was the biggest lie I've heard in years. On Christmas Ever I took the 150 mg of Pamelor and when I woke up again it was around 4:30 p.m. on Christmas Day. I also have been treated like somebody just out for drugs when going to the emergency room because of the high pain level. Mind you I've only had to do that 4 times since I was diagnosed in 2004. The Pamelor ran my blood pressure up and gave me headaches out of control. I don't believe my doctor understands what I am going through. And, she certainly cannot feel the pain that I endure every single day of my life. What do you suggest?
  2. lilmoma

lilmoma New Member

Oh God, how I needed the support you just sent. I plan to make an appointment with another doctor on tomorrow.

Rhonda
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi lilmoma!

Doxy gave some really good advice and I wish you the best in getting help with your pain. I am on an antidepressant (Paxil) and while it helps (some) with pain, it sure doesn't make me "pain free"!

Sounds like the doctor that told you this is only worried about making herself "pain free" in that she can hand you the script for Pamelor and not have to fret about the repercussions of prescribing anything else.

Pamelor is merely an anti-depressant and no where in its description does it say that it is specifically designed for FMS-CFIDS. It can increase your heart rate and has some other important side effects.

Here is a description of the drug from MedicineNet:

"Nortriptyline is an antidepressant medication of the tricyclic class. Medications in this class are often referred to as tricyclic antidepressants, or TCAs. Depression is an all-pervasive sense of sadness and gloom.

In some patients with depression, abnormal levels of brain neurotransmitters (chemicals that the nerve cells use to communicate with each other) may be responsible for the depression. Nortriptyline elevates the mood ("anti-depresses") by raising the level of neurotransmitters in brain tissue."

There are far better doctors out there. You are wise to keep on searching for one.

Hugs,

Janice
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

made me dizzy and kept me awake when I tried it for three days a while back. My neighbor loves it though. Sorry for you having this going on.
    Crom
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

Made my heart race like mad and I thought I needed to go to the ER

Hated it!
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I have taken Pamelor at bedtime for a couple of years - it does not help my pain, but does help me sleep. I started on 10 mg & increased by 10 mg every week til I got to 100. The pain program pharmasist I was working with said that is about as high as you would want to go. I can't imagine taking 75mg during the day & trying to stay awake! I also did net a major hangover effect for the first month or so. I'm not surprised you slept until 4:30!!

I agree - please try to find a new doctor that cares about you and truly wants to help you feel better.

Good luck!

Leanne