Took Hard Capsule Pills And Almost died.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Mar 3, 2007.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Friday evening I took two hard capsules. One was a calcium, magnesium, zinc pill, the other a multivitamin, and I took some vitamin C also. All of these together at about 5 to 6 pm.

Within 4 to 5 hours my istestinal tract felt like it was being run through with heavy duty sand paper and rubbing against nothing but inflammed walls. It may not have been this exactly but it felt that torturous and that's what I imagined.

Was so sick and weak feeling I moaned . On a scale of 7 to 8 on the pain sacle. Years ago I would have gone to ER but after so many visits all I get is psyche ward people.

Along with this all my fibro pain in every area of my body increased 3 fold!

My bronchial asthma got worse and hurt as did my sinusitis.

All over my body these pains hurt worse than they ever have. Scale? 9 ! Head to toe, inside and out. Couldn't sleep a wink!

I was crying, literally. Finally I leaped out of bed and staggered to my wife's room at 4 in the morning telling her to get ready to take me to a hospital. Instead she laid with me and calmed me down.

I had taken a lorazapam earlier that day but it didn't touch this. When the morning finally came I was still in this same pain and vowed to go to our local ER even though I knew they would call the psych ward first before admitting me. I was willing to go through this as I felt I could pass out. My inner feelings and 4 different areas of pain were so overwhelming me I told my wife, "now I understand why they give dying patients morphine drips."

I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

But I am wondering and please...throw in your specualtions about whether you think those hard capsules ( either of them ) could have hit my inflammed middle intestine and thrown my body into acid on inflammation shock! And effected my central nervus system and triggered this explosion of fibro nerve pain all over?

I have had this same experience happen before but not "quite" this bad in the last year.

I think one was from another incident of swallowing another hard calcium tablet. Is this stuff acidic or something and if you have inflammed intestinal wallls it burns it ino screaming pain?

The other time was when I had to swallow that big marble sized camera they give you to do a camera-endoscopy.

I swallowed that and I suffered and moaned all night as that thing made it's way though my inflammed intestinal tract. Whew, that was rough. And not one doctor has told me why this pain is so monstrous when stuff like this passes through my intestinal tract. And again, can calcium burn the lining of someone damaged intestinal lining?
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Ugh, that sounds awful.

I don't know what exactly it was in the vitamins that gave you the bad reaction.

The vitamin/mineral that I can't take on an empty stomach is iron. I don't know if your multivitamin has that in it though.

Intestinal problems (and herbs) are not really my area, but I'm wondering if you've ever tried aloe juice?

My doctor also recommends very large amounts of mixed strain probiotics (as much as 60 billion organisms per day) for all kinds of intestinal problems.

Please don't take this as advice though, since I don't have any experience in this area. Maybe others will give their views.

I mostly wanted to offer you sympathy. Feel better.

Best, Lisa

3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Over the last few months I've been reading your posts and wanted to tell you I really feel for you. You've been through h... and back. I think you have to start from square one, baby steps. Maybe with your digestive system.

If you check online on the "Wild Rose" website you will find a diet that shows 20% acidic and 80% alkaline foods to eat. I've been following that diet and it really helps me. Get your vitamins through foods. How about using a juicer or blender?

It's so frustrating when you feel so terrible and can't find anyone to help you.

Have you ever though about a naturopath, herbalist, etc.
    They seem to be more open minded and use different things to strengthen the body.

Cindy

4. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

tolerate vitamins, minerals, and or supplements!

That is what is sounds like to me!

You may just have to accept that you cannot take those things you mentioned!

It took me so long to figure out that things that should be helping me were making me worse!

Not to change the subject but I think it is worth mentioning.....about a year or so ago.....I finally realized that I could no longer drink purified bottled water.....it was making me so sick...my nose was stuffy and my stomach was very upset......

I couldn't believe that the plastic could make me sick like that but in a nut shell......I found out on this board that I wasn't alone....

you just never know what might make "YOU" sick because with dd it is possible that anything can and will make you sick....like your incident with the supplements.

I hope your feeling better....

Hugs
    Doxy
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am not able to take ANY supplements. My digestive system is also very sensitive. I once tried to take a supplement from the FFC Center - Pregnalone. - within 10 minutes I was in misery and sick for 6 hours - eventually bringing everything up.

I also was sick from Vitamin C and any other vitamin I tried. I really need supplements because my diet is not good - poor appetite, etc. but I just can't tolerate them.

I also went to the ER once with severe nausea - I was so sick thought I would die. Just the other night I woke up sick at 4 am - thank goodness I have Compazine and it helped.

Even if I eat fast or too much I get sick.

6. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I can't take magnesium on an empty stomach or lay right down after taking it as it gives me heartburn and hurts my stomach. I really think that it may have been the magnesium and the vit. C as that is ascorbic acid, that was so hard on your stomach.

I would take them at different times and with food.

Take care, Sally
  7. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hey there, i am sorry that this happened. i can relate on a much smaller scale - there are very few supplements i can tolerate - my eyelids swell.

if you feel well enough, would you mind listing the "other ingredients" of your vitamins you took? i am not saying that my theory is the only reason that this happened but it may play a part. some of these supplements contain ingredients that are neurotoxins b/c they are actually the chemical ingredient MSG. MSG can do all sorts of AWFUL things and it is a neurotoxin.

i am also wondering if your gut is underfunctioning that it did not move these things through quicker. what i mean is that those digestive contraction like motions that are suppossed to happen sound like they are slower? do you do any kind of liver support? if you can't tolerate pills maybe you can do a juicing recipe...?

just some thoughts. this is definitely not medical advice, just some questions based on intuition.

hope you are feeling better.
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Wow! What a terrible thing. I'm praying that you improve quckly.

A strange thing - I got really sick after taking too much Magnesium, in the form of "Calm", a powdered supplement that usually doesn't bother me.

I accidentally took too much, and I was so sick! I thought it was the intestinal flu, but maybe it was just a reaction to the magnesium,which was my first thought. My intestines felt as if they had been scraped and cut. I'm good now, but it took two weeks of almost no food and lots of water..

Good luck. Please let us now how you fare.
    Terry

9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have a hard time taking suppliments. Hope you are feeling better.
  10. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I also believe many many of us has some type of fungus harbored in our damaged intestinal tracts. I think white flour and sugar diets and a lack of nutrient provided bulk and fiber has weakned us all so much. I have spent almost a year just getting used to this board and I must tell you, I am still 98 percent overwhelmed with the info shared here. It is so much, it's hard to know where to start or what to take in.

I will look up Sea Cure as well.

I know I have an intestinal tract that has been long time damaged. I know I have candida yeast and fungus. I had a stool exam that showed much yeast one year ago . ( G.I. doctor said this wasn't worth worrying about ) My toe nails have had this for years, even my right thumb nail. That comes from having this suff in your system.

Years ago I was prescribed Lamasil. I took it for awhile but then I read about the potential damage to the liver and I kind of let it go. Hoping to find something to treat my fungus that wasn't so potentially damaging, especially to my liver. So far I haven't found anything but topical stuff that never seems to work.

But I need to do my next 6 month study of intestinal health, fungus's and yeast. But to do this takes so much mustering of energy and time and effort. Have to psych up for this on my good days.

I get so exhausted and angry and frustrated, even resentful that I have to work so hard and study all this. Every day for 1 year on this site and others!

I want to go back and have a life where I worked on a social job and did things with my wife and family.

But the daily pain, weakness, feeling sick, fainty, dizzy and almost like you might die keeps me forced to stay on here and read, read, read.

This last year has been a painful no-choice struggle daily on internet boards, in library books, at health food stores ... many days you just have to walk away from it, as it is so overwhelming. I wish I didn't have to learn so much on my own. This isn't the most entertaining subject and you get no recognition for studying it all.

And if you have healed hardly at all after 1 year like me even this reward isn't there.

Only blind desperate faith keeps you going.

The only inspiration I have found is on this board.

The most giving on the entire internet if you ask me.

Doctors should be forced to read this board once a day in their pre-med study programs...if for anything to understand how many people are hugely suffering with these difficult to diagnose illnesses but to understand how we are good normal honest people and they should take us seriously instead of dismissing us or getting frustrated with us. But the worst is downplaying how bad we feel. Often we feel as if we could just die...I MEAN ACTUALLY KEEL OVER AND DIE...many days when this is hitting us at it's highest level!

To have a doctor act as if you are exaggerating and maybe even crazy...is a humiliation and stabbing you in the heart feeling almost beyond words and that leaves you so dispairing and hopeless.

It's like a scary science fiction movie where normal people you trust to help and protect you have gone mad themselves. Like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. These pod people have lost their human capacity to feel. Truly like a bad nightmare dream.

I know this sounds out-there, but I have actually gone back to my car sometimes feeling like I could die after a doctor just sent me out of his office with an irritated sounding, non-believing tone and dismissive diagnosis " Go home, Take this sedative or antidepressant, try not to worry about things so much." ...."But doc, I feel like I could die!"

That old movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers has come to my mind. How could this doctor not believe how bad I am feeling. How could 54 years of local medical records never showing me running to doctors ever like this, ... mean "nothing" in this doctors weighing of the evidence regarding whether I am telling the truth here or exaggerating.

I am telling you, doctors for some reason throw out 54 years of medical history and your nothing-like-this-desperate behavior as if it means nothing.

That ignoring and dismissing of your entire proven past life medical history and behavior is a great part of my real life nightmare since I came down with this horrible and pain monster illness called Fibro, or CFS or whatever it is.

And in regards to labeling us who go on these last chance boards as "unbalanced"... Shoot, they should be inspired as to how much research, time and effort all of us have done here, without any financial reward coming to us like future doctors...and we share this info for free just to help others ! We dont charge like they do.

The hypocratic oath is much more adhered to here on this board than it is in the business world of professional medical care. In the professional medical world things are written in code and kept from you to keep you dependant on paying huge sums to medical professionals and drug companies to keep you from understanding much what's going on excpet through the words of a physician and to not ask too many questions.

At least here, every question is not only answered, but with compassion and patience and even love and well wishes! How much better can it get? This board is a God send.
  11. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Could it be not from taking any type of medication, or having a reaction to it or just the fact that it was a harder than normal pill/s that you took that might have caused a reaction other than them being of the calcium, magnesium type of pills?/!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, have you ever had any problems with your tummy or intestines, like Diverticulitis for instance? This disease is so similiar to what your symptoms sound like. Its like eating something very hard in the food catagory, like nuts, popcorn, hard pills even, that take time to breakdown in your intenstines and stomach can stay in the intestinal track and cause these severe reactions of pain, spasms, burning, many other very uncomfortable painful reactions.

What happens is some type of food or a particle gets stuck in the intestinal balloon like sac's prodruding through the muscular layer of the gastrointestinal (digestive track). It stays there waiting to either break down by your bodily fluids or gets stuck there until it releases all by itself, or it can stay there until you see your Dr. and he/she will have to do more testings to find out if you have Diverticular disease. All of this can be done by a scope down your throat or you know where..LOL!!

Sometimes its caused by a virus or as we get older and also that we haven't eaten alot of fiber in our diets. So, your immune system might be run down in the first place and this could of brought it on also. I'm not saying its not a reaction to calcium or magnesium, but if you haven't had this happen before with the pills, unless of course if they were harder than normal, then this might be your problem and not the calcium or any other drug.

Does this make sense at all? I might not be explaining myself too well, but I'm trying to help a little with a different idea of why you could have this terrible discomfort which isn't normal to have!

I'm sure with this going on only brought more anxiety and pain along with your asthma acting up and the pain from fibro got worse. It all comes into play when something like this hits us with a ton of bricks!! And I don't blame you for being upset as I would too and have been several times by the same thing happening.

This is just my opinions and thoughts, but I would see your Dr. tomorrow or call him/her and get checked out as soon as you can before it gets any worse. But as I said, this is just my thoughts on it and I do hope you feel alot better very soon Joeb!!!!

Just one tibit though..if your still not feeling too well, could you put off eating anything heavy or hard until you see your Dr. if at all possible?/!! That will or should lessen the pain some.

Gentle hugs and well wishes that you feel better soon~
    Shelby
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  12. desertlass

desertlass New Member

because you mentioned that the little camera did the same thing to you. I immediately thought of diverticulitis. Perhaps it was a combination of gut motility along with a lot of different chemical components dissolving. Often there is more than one reason. Anyway, I saw this post last night before I went to sleep, and I have just now come on here, and looked for it right away. I am so glad that so many people found it and responded.

I was so moved by your second post-- I thought, if a 54 yr. old man feels this way, no wonder I do, a 39 year old woman. I have been dismissed by even the most kind-hearted doctors, who at least admit "I don't know". That I can take, but I wish they would be just the least bit curious! I have finally found a doctor who has FM himself!!! He ordered every test he could think of, and then some more that I asked for. This is after twenty years of no one running anything except some basic things that all show up "normal".

I had a severe back injury and my pcp insisted it was depression. If I hadn't have found a forum online that had a retired resident PT, I would probably not be walking right now. The PT told me what questions to ask my doctor, etc., and finally the doctor wanted to know where this was coming from. (His ego must have been setting off alarms). When I told him, he just shook his head and looked at my husband (I evaporated as a person on the spot) and said, "the people who hang out on those chat forums... (scoffing noise)."

However, because of the PT and the others on the forum I was able to avoid surgery and get back on my feet.

I had information overload on that forum, too. But that is the work that's been cut out for us, apparently, when we're fighting for our lives. And it is discouraging if you feel like things are moving and shaking for other people, and not for you. But I have to remind myself that I was flat on my back in severe pain for most of a year and God lit the way out painful step by painful step. The same will happen again. I just wish it didn't feel so much like a game of "Chutes and Ladders"! But we're all in this together, at least.

Lisette
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Joe,
    I waas reading you response, and I was amazed to hear your fungus symptoms. I have them, too.

Acupuncture has helped my toe fungus a lot. My acupuncturist prescribes herbs to go along wth his treatments. He is a doctor of Chinese medicine, and studied in Tibet. His herbal formulatons wonderous. My toes have cleared up half way. My thumb nail is a bit slower. I also supplement with Lamisil spray.

Good luck, again,
    Terry
  14. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I would never take any vitamins on an empty stomach.